External Gps Antenna

lakedawgs

We recently purchased a Garmin 60C. I also purchased an external antenna and used it for the first time this weekend on a trip from Washington D.C. to Indianapolis. The 60C with a windshield mount gets great signal locks but I wanted to try out the external antenna to see if there was any difference. The antenna I bought of eBay was only $18, no name, looks like all the other ones out there. All I can say is WOW. Most of the trip the GPSr was showing a signal from 8-10 satellites and 7 of which were showing full strength signal. Cant say that I needed the external antenna but I can say I got a much better signal than without it.

Lakedawgs

The external antenna that came with my globalsat bt308 pulls in an even stronger signal than the unit itself, which is impressive anyway. Since the unit gets adequate signal just sitting on the dash, i don't use it in the truck, so the external antrenna is taped to the shoulder strap on my caching backpack, and the unit chills inside the pack when i'm out caching. having the external antenna sit on top of my shoulder gives me great field accuracy.

(the bt308 is a bluetooth gps, it streams coordinates wirelessly to my palm pilot, which is why the gps itself is in my backpack)

actually, the external antenna is so good at picking up signal, once when my backpack, with external antenna attached, and gps inside it were behind the seat in my truck, i turned the palm pilot on on the dash and found that i had a 3D fix on my location.

in short: it's been my limited experience that external antenna do better in all situations

I bought one of the Gilssons from GPSgeek on eBay, and I use it on the boat at work, it sits outside on a second deck handrail to get a clear view of the sky. We are always out in the middle of nowhere on the Lower Mississippi, and I'm always showing an accuracy of +/- 6 to 10 feet.

Tom

Edited by BilgeRat

Have a Garmin Map76 and also purchased a no name external off of E-Bay. Works great.

One caution, if your vehicle has a compass, don't attach your antenna to the roof. Use the hood or trunk lid. The magnetic attachment magnetized the roof and messed up the car display. Had to re-set the car compass. As long as the antenna is attached to metal not directly connected to the roof, things work fine.

NightPilot  Posted on Dec 10 2004, 09:27 PM

PC-Mobile has one that will work.

Unfortunately, it looks like all of these require the GPSr to have an external antenna port (which the Mag. Meridian Gold does not). Does anyone know of one that specifically works with the Gold?

--- M

NightPilot  Posted on Dec 10 2004, 09:27 PM

PC-Mobile has one that will work.

Unfortunately, it looks like all of these require the GPSr to have an external antenna port (which the Mag. Meridian Gold does not). Does anyone know of one that specifically works with the Gold?

--- M

A reradiating antenna does not require that your GPSr have an external antenna port. It works by retransmitting the signals from the satellites through a small antenna that you place in close proximity to the antenna of your GPSr.