First Time Finder Prize ???

Medic005

I've hidden two, and in both I put a 'walking liberty' silver half dollar and an unactivated TB tag. The silver half in circulated condition is only worth a few dollars, but it went first in both cases (though the people who picked up the tags were very excited about them).

There's something about collectible coins. People who are unimpressed with $5 worth of batteries will be drawn to $2 worth of coin. Must be an atavistic thing...holding a great lump of silver in your hand.

I've been First-To-Find on about a dozen caches and haven't found a 'prize' yet. So obviously there's no mandate to place anything special for the FTF.

I'm preparing a cache to place soon and am planning on a gift certificate for a local restraunt and/or a special FTF printed certificate.

If the cache is going to be very easy to find, I'd go with a cheap 'token' prize. If you're going to make the first finder work for it, you might consider something better.

Best Wishes,

Bob

The best FTF prize, to me, is reaching the cache, seeing an exhilirating view, and knowing I was the first to experience it as the cache hider intended. :lol:

No ribbon, lottery ticket, or other little trinket can top that.

Agreed. It's always nice to have a trinket to remind you of that memory though :D .

The first time I put a FTF prize, it was a fake $100 bill. the same cache's STF was a $50 and TFT was a $20. The first three finders all took theirs. (They went along with the theme of the cache.)

My second cache with a FTF prize had an orange highlighter. Again, this prize went with the theme of the cache, and again the First person took it.

I have a FTF prize in the works for a bonus cache I'm working on, too, which is also related to the theme.

You certainly don't need to put anything in, but consider it either something useful for whoever finds it - batteries, a tb tag, a gas card for the nearest station, mcdonalds certificates, whatever - or make it an item that goes along with the theme of the cache or the name of the cache.

Whatever you put - or if you put anything at all - is up to you.

I guess because I'm more in the "It's about the hunt" camp, I don't worry too much about that. I've never put a specific FTF in any of my 'caches.

Surprisingly, on a couple of my caches the FTF actually left the FTF prize for the STF because they either already had whatever the prize was or they had recently already been awarded a FTF prize from one of my caches. My motivation for leaving good FTF prizes is that I just like to give things away. :lol:

I've hidden two, and in both I put a 'walking liberty' silver half dollar and an unactivated TB tag. The silver half in circulated condition is only worth a few dollars, but it went first in both cases (though the people who picked up the tags were very excited about them).

There's something about collectible coins. People who are unimpressed with $5 worth of batteries will be drawn to $2 worth of coin. Must be an atavistic thing...holding a great lump of silver in your hand.

You were talking about someone being more interested in $2 worth of coins as opposed to $5 pack of batteries.

I think the reasoning in that is just for a sentimental, I mean, I have enough batteries in my pack, my jeep, and in half a dozen places around my house, and honestly, I'd only take batteries if I were in dire need of them, but I do occasionally leave them.

Still, I'd rather have the coin, cause it's more of a sentimental value. I mean, anything really cool that I find in caches, I have on a shelf in my display case, with all my model cars, and I'd much rather show people the cool coin that I got as a prize in my dorky sport, than a pack of batteries.

Anyway, getting away from that, I've been FTF on a few caches, actually two that I can think of off the top of my head, maybe three. One of them, was loaded with tons of great prizes, and I was actually very happy with a very cool looking coin, until I read the message in the logbook, that said the first finder should dig down a little deeper. Sure enough, I dug down, and at the bottom of that ammo can was a brand new CITO t-shirt. I was overjoyed.

This summer, I was FTF on yet another cache, which was a bit more strenuous. I don't remember if there was any actual prize for FTF, but there was a really cool certificate signed by the owner. And for the second and third finders, there were ribbons.

In my own cache, I actually can't remember what I left for a FTF prize, but I don't think it as anything too signifigant. But I did leave a good number of random coins from different countries, and I think a couple people each took some until they were gone, and they were fairly well recieved..

My general conclusion is that anything from the Groundspeak store can be a cool FTF prize, but for my next cache, I'm leaving a hunting vest, since it is hunting season, and cachers need to wear them..

I put 3 scratch off lotto tickets for the first 3 finders :lol:

I don't know about the US of A, but in Canada lottery tickets cannot be sold to minors and minors cannot claim a lottery prize. Given that this is supposed to be a "family friendly" activity, I might suggest that lottery tickets are not a suitable trade item or, for that matter, a FTF prize. In fact, lottery tickets are considered to be a gambling instrument and, as such, I would place them in the same category as alcohol or tobacco.

Having said that, I love finding scratch & win lottery tickets in caches. The only reason I don't leave them myself is that I would never forgive myself if I unwittingly purchased a winning ticket and gave it away to some stranger. :D

Having said that, I love finding scratch & win lottery tickets in caches. The only reason I don't leave them myself is that I would never forgive myself if I unwittingly purchased a winning ticket and gave it away to some stranger. 

Same reason I don't leave them. I'd freak if someone came to the forums excited about the $50,000 they won from a ticket they found in my cache. I have left $2 and $5 winning tickets because I was too lazy to claim the prize myself.

We don't usually leave FTF prizes, although we have on a couple of special caches.

One was the culmination of eight other caches placed by other cachers (Happily Ever After, on a Snow White theme) and we had a nice meal for FTF and an outdoor store voucher for STF. Competition was keen!

We also offered a Buffy calendar for this themed multi.

We have a couple of FTF prizes, but the best ones are specific mementos of the cache rather than something valuable per se. We left behind an anemometer worth a couple of hundred bucks in favour of a second-hand book of poems when we were FTF this mega-cache. (26 waypoints! A-Z of Sydney suburbs!)

So, go for something hand-crafted or labeled appropriately for the cache. Cash or vouchers are nice, but get forgotten too soon.

I was FTF on a micro today. The only item in the container besides the log was a brand spanking new shiny geocoin, unregistered, marked as the FTF prize. I was tickled and did a mini happy dance (it was, after all, a micro cache). I wasn't expecting a prize; just putting my name on the top of the log was really enough. But I'm happy with the prize. :lol:

May I ask this question along the FTF prizes.

What determines, for you that place a FTF prize in a cache, the type or value of a FTF prize? I mean is it the difficulty in the find or the difficulty in the terrain?

I personally feel a 1/5 is tougher than a 5/1 and therefor I would place a FTF prize in a 1/5.

Ken

I hope this makes sense. When I read it again I scratched my head...and I know what I am tryiing to ask.!!!

Having said that, I love finding scratch & win lottery tickets in caches. The only reason I don't leave them myself is that I would never forgive myself if I unwittingly purchased a winning ticket and gave it away to some stranger. 

Same reason I don't leave them. I'd freak if someone came to the forums excited about the $50,000 they won from a ticket they found in my cache. I have left $2 and $5 winning tickets because I was too lazy to claim the prize myself.

I often put various items in caches as ftf prizes. Also in general I like to start caches off with pretty decent stuff in them. I realize that the quality of contents will decline, but that is OK with me. I once put a certificate for an El Diablo hiking staff in a difficult puzzle cache as the ftf prize. I figured it would help motivate people to find the cache. I was quite pleased that some new cachers were ftf on it.

But as generous as I can be at times, I too have stopped at the idea of lottery tickets. Partially because of the legal/social concerns previously mentioned, but mostly because, yes, it would freak me out if I turned out to have given away a big winning ticket!

What determines, for you that place a FTF prize in a cache, the type or value of a FTF prize?  I mean is it the difficulty in the find or the difficulty in the terrain?

I personally feel a 1/5 is tougher than a 5/1 and therefor I would place a FTF prize in a 1/5.

I don't base my selection of FTF prize on any criteria other than how generous I am feeling at that moment and what sort of suitable FTF swag I've found at the liquidation stores for what I am willing to spend.

For example, my favorite liquiation store is currently advertising 2 NiMH AA batteries & charger for CDN$14.95. I'll probably run down and buy two or three to use for FTF prizes. I currently have 2 pairs of binoculars and one more BFL "in stock" for prizes.

Surprisingly my most difficult to reach caches, which required an overnight paddle to reach, had no FTF prize because the cache containers were too small to accomodate a decent prize. I didn't have any spare room in my kayak for larger containers.

In my first cache I put a coupon for a free pair of dowsing rods. I hand make them and distribute them on my website and the first finder got to choose what style they wanted. I thought they'd be a cool item because they can also be used to find things! ...just like a gps. The First finder thought they were pretty cool.

I kept an eye on caches to see what items (particularly those I left behind) seemed "hot." Then, I loaded the cache with several items that would be nice for a FTF. Three items intended to be special were:

1) Mickey Mouse Watch

2) Iraqi Dinar Note (Sadam Regime version.. was leaving these in caches, and noted they got grabbed up pretty quickly).

3) YJTB

FTF snagged the Dinar and YJTB, second to find (there is a prize for not being first!) grabbed the watch.

In my opinion, anything creative and fun makes it nice for the FTFer, and doesn't have to cost too much (although the cost of obtaining the dinar could be considered rather high :rolleyes: ).

The best FTF prize I have found to date was a coupon for two free tickets on Flyi.com. My girlfriend and I used them to go geocaching in Florida. As anyone who has found a cache after me, or anyone who has read a few of my post knows I leave chainmail balls as my signature item. Whenever I place a new cache I like to leave a couple of chainmail ball and maybe a chainmail pouch. The chainmail pouch is a good FTF prize. I normally sell these pouches through a local hobby store for $20.00 each. If you have a craft skill that you can use to make something that would normally sell for around $20.00 I thing that would make a great FTF prize. Besides, it’s a great way to show off your skills.

I don't base my selection of FTF prize on any criteria other than how generous I am feeling at that moment and what sort of suitable FTF swag I've found at the liquidation stores for what I am willing to spend.

Gorak,

You sound like you do the same thing I do for FTF's. But I only have 6 hidden.

Ken

Walmart sells Tshirt transfer paper. You print it out on inkjet printer and iron it on a shirt.

My fav was one that looked like a big FBI, but it was FTF with the cache name underneath.

The only snag is 'washability.' Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. I've made some shirts that lasted for years, and some that only lasted a few washings.

I rarely leave FTF prizes, but the few times I have, I've left geocaching.com hats, a pair of binoculars and a Petzel Micro headlamp.

I leave a logbook and a pen! :laughing: We have a handful of cachers out here that hog every FTF so I had no idea there was supposed to be a prize. I've only had two FTFs and the one I just found had a prize: a Bo Jackson's and Deon Sander's rookie football cards. I left them because I had nothing close in value to trade. :)

Thanks for all the replies, I've decided to place Two Motorola FRS Radios in one cache and a $25.00 Gift Card in another cache, now just have to find a good spot to place them.

Here's a picture of my cache containers, so if you see them out there, check for the FTF prizes. Thanks!

Cache_Container.JPG

We have a handful of cachers out here that hog every FTF so I had no idea there was supposed to be a prize.

There really isn't supposed to be a FTF prize. A few cache owners include them to be nice. Its neither a requirement, nor a particularly common practice.

I left them because I had nothing close in value to trade

The idea behind a FTF prize is that you DON'T have to trade even. They are a gift the first finder. I'm sure Medic005 doesn't expect the first finder to leave anything even close to the value of those two Motorola radios.

I have found quite a few FTFs, but only two or three had a FTF prize. I have hid caches with FTF prizes. Items I have used include gift certificates  for local stores. Starbucks cards, in micros I sometimes plase money.

Quite a few??? What is the real count?

Don

The idea behind a FTF prize is that you DON'T have to trade even. They are a gift the first finder. I'm sure Medic005 doesn't expect the first finder to leave anything even close to the value of those two Motorola radios.

My intention is to give not receive something back of equal value. Since my cache hide will on a 3 / 3 level, then I think the first to finder will like what they find. The larger cache will be hidden off of a not so frequented trail at a state park, there is a great view of a lake from the trail.

That's kinda what I thought.... That's the difference between a "Prize" and a trade item.

I'm glad I read this today, because my 11 and 9 year old sons and my wife just got a FTF prize that was a 30 year old buck knife... I would have had no IDEA what would be an even trade!

Still, when they called me at work from the cache site, I just told them to dump all the "good" trade items they had with them into the cache as a thank you.

Back on topic... I've left various items from Geocaching.com (pins, hiking medallions, stickers) that will fit in the cache. Also, since lots of people in our area like to collect signature items, I'll generally leave several of my signature items.

My favorite FTF prize was a "Chalice" that fit the theme of my puzzle cache: The Holy Grail.

fb82572c-7759-4a5e-9157-e8df5d75cc64.jpg

My favorite FTF prize was a "Chalice" that fit the theme of my puzzle cache: [url=http://w

No fair bringing up that FTF prize sarge. Bad memories :angry: .

Agree on the FTF prize - it's a prize, not a trade item. No need for trades for this; take it and enjoy it as a gift from the cache owner.

I've been to some caches that needed first aid kits as a FTF prize... lets see, gauze, tweezers, band aids, morphine... yeah, morphine that outta work.

Ain't that the truth!

One of our caches, Tablet of Kaidoz, used a nifty graphic for a puzzle. For a first-to-find prize we had a custom T-shirt printed by Cafe Press saying "I Solved the Mystery of Kaidoz." Refrained from adding, "...and all I got was this lousy T-shirt!"

Some local cachers make up metal dog tags with the name of the cache and serial numbers 01 through 10, so each of the first 10 finders gets a memento. Neat idea.

That's two mentions of first-aid kits in this thread. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Could be a neat sig item, since some of our caches are -ahem- slightly difficult :angry:

Some local cachers make up metal dog tags with the name of the cache and serial numbers 01 through 10, so each of the first 10 finders gets a memento. Neat idea.

So where does one get dog tags made up? I've been trying to find a way to make some for signature items... would also be appropriate FTF prizes for my caches. (Sgt Stitches and the Cruz Commandos)