What Are We Allowed To Discuss?

SFABobby03

Ahh but I was leaving and might still. Who knows. I wasn't looking for 15 minutes. I was pointing out an unfair issue. I'd say i got my point across. Now unless I get slammed by someone else's comments I will be leaving it at this. Just kinda depends on what anyone else says about me at this point.

Not trying to be offensive but you haven't gotten a point across, you've just made yourself look rather silly <_<

I'm not sure why a non-geocacher (or a newbie that doesn't log finds) cares whether or not the forums are "fair". They have ZERO affect on getting out and finding a geocache.

Unfortunately, life's not fair - then you die.

It's really not worth arguing about.

sd

It's all kinda up in the air right now my friend.

So does that mean you didn't actually find any caches? I'm getting that impression now.

Take whatever impression you want to. Most of the ones where I am within 4-5 miles of (East Texas) are quite simple and I actually enjoyed them. One of them was out in west texas near a cemetary and it was the coolest of all of them. Your little attempt to discredit me won't take that away from me either!

Anyone ever have one of those conversations where you keep trying to leave, and the other person keeps saying good-bye, but won't hang up? <_<

Everytime I try to leave someone else slams me or something so I keep having to come back.... I do unfortunately have to go get some work done. I know that will make a lot of you upset.

Anyone ever have one of those conversations where you keep trying to leave, and the other person keeps saying good-bye, but won't hang up? <_<

Everytime I try to leave someone else slams me or something so I keep having to come back.... I do unfortunately have to go get some work done. I know that will make a lot of you upset.

IF you do decide to leave, will you please fill out the exit questionaire.

Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I [state your moniker here] no longer wish to (geocache?)

After [check the traumatic life altering event below]

[ ] My cache was denied.

[ ] I was flamed in the forums.

[ ] I got an email.

[ ] Saw a light path near a cache.

[ ] I found a lame cache.

[ ] Realized fair trades means me.

[ ] My ‘big uns’ signature item was ruled not family friendly.

I have come to the conclusion that. [check your conclusion below]

[ ] The admins suck

[ ] Geocaching.com sucks

[ ] The forum regulars suck

[ ] All threads that start with Woo Hoo suck.

[ ] Jeremy sucks.

[ ] Everybody but me sucks.

Because of this [check your reason for resentment below]

[ ] Blatant disrespect for my sensitive nature.

[ ] Utter lack of bowing and groveling at my feet.

[ ] Lack of acknowledgment that my new idea is better.

[ ] Display of online attention directed at me.

As far as my caches go you can [select final cache disposition]

[ ] Archive them and make them into cache litter.

[ ] Adopt them to people who care.

[ ] Divide them up like the bickering slobs that you are.

[ ] Let me list them on another site.

[ ] Stuff them where the sun don’t shine.

As a final note just let me say that. [choose your parting shot from those provided below]

[ ] This has been the worst experience of my life.

[ ] It’s been really fun and I’m not sure why I’m going but it’s something I must to do be true to myself.

[ ] That will teach you, you rat bastards.

[ ] I’m not going to tell you the story why I left even thought I made this big long suicide note for the forums.

[ ] You can kiss my a__.

Signed [insert your moniker here]

[ ] My cache was denied.

[ ] I got an email.

[ ] The admins suck

[ ] Geocaching.com sucks

[ ] Jeremy sucks.

As a final note just let me say that. [choose your parting shot from those provided below]

[ ] It’s been really fun and I’m not sure why I’m going but it’s something I must to do be true to myself.

[ ] I’m not going to tell you the story why I left even thought I made this big long suicide note for the forums.

[ ] You can kiss my a__.

Just because of this post I am staying. Deal with me....

I'm thinking that you are just here cause you want some attention. But there are healthier ways to get healthier attention. So I think I shall discontinue from posting in this thread. I hope that you feel better in the future. <_<

[ ] My cache was denied.

[ ] I got an email.

[ ] The admins suck

[ ] Geocaching.com sucks

[ ] Jeremy sucks.

[ ] You can kiss my a__.

Glad I could help. Your're entertaining.

[ ] My cache was denied.

[ ] I got an email.

[ ] The admins suck

[ ] Geocaching.com sucks

[ ] Jeremy sucks.

[ ] You can kiss my a__.

ohAgony_horse.gif

This thread is humorous. I'm just waiting for the moment when Jeremy & KA reveal their plans to take over the world using religion masquerad... ah forget it. I'm outta popcorn. <_<

Bobby, your opinion of the difference betwixt the two threads is borne out of ignorance and lack of perspective. Read the forums for a while and you will be (hopefully) able to discern the subleties that are escaping you now.

EDIT - pretty, can I borrow some popcorn?

Edited by New England n00b
I don't post much but I do remember when I started geocaching a couple of years ago I posted a question about Navicache. 

Back then, that word was utterly taboo.  Navicache, as well as the names of some other geocaching sites were being caught by the profanity filters and asterisk-ed out.  That was, to me, the height of silliness.

I despise censorship, but at least things have improved some since then.

I thought I would check back in here once today and I really thought either my account would be closed or at the least this thread. I hate censorship. It is very unAmerican. It's kinda like this place says, my way or the highway. I chose the highway. It's like they treat us like we are in grade school or something. Ooh, that post said Osama thats political. But lets talk about this movie that has absolutely nothing to do with Geocaching. It's a double standard and it stinks. I guess if it is off topic but interests a mod or if they agree with it they leave it alone but if they don't agree with it or if it is off topic (and not interesting to them) they kill it. It just stinks so alas I will go hang out on another board I frequent and maybe one day will return to geocaching on another site as newer sites start to arise.

I just couldn't resist responding when I came across "I hate censorship. It is very unAmerican."

Agreed. However freedom of association is also an American constitutional guarantee. As Americans we are free to join and associate without interference from the government as long as our activities don't violate the criminal laws of the land. We can join any church, labor union, trade organization, fraternal organization, etc. We can form communites within our neighborhood and discuss the local school board, we can form corporations, neighborhood associaltions, PTA's, drama clubs, book clubs, Masonic lodges, and , yes, even geocaching groups.

You are welcome to form a group just as Jeremy and company have formed. You are welcome to accept the responsibilities and joys of controlling your group as you see fit (within the confines of the laws of the land). You are free to have others join you in your community and to make the rules and practices that make the operation of your organization possible. It is your right as an American. The government has no right to infringe on your freedom as long as you obey the laws of the land the same as any other citizen.

You chose to join this organization. Geocaching.com. Groundspeak.com. There are several thousand other members of this organization from all over the globe. The powers that lead this organization have rules and guidelines they have formed to allow the maximum number of participants to enjoy the benefits of this organization. They have rules about the placing of caches, appropriate items to place in caches and appropriate behavior on the forums. You agreed to abide by these rules and guidelines.

It is not censorship when a private organization exercises its right of free association by forming and adhering to its own rules of conduct. You are free to speak your mind on a variety of topics. You just can't do it here, unrestrained, irresponsibly. This is not your house. This is our house. We share it. We all agreed to a set of rules to make living here a happy time. You don't like the rules. I sometimes don't either. But I like it here.

I like the fact that my children can read any page on this entire site and never be assailed by profanity. I like that I can come here and discuss geocaching. I can go to the off-topic forum and discuss other things. I can go elsewhere to discuss Osama Bin Laden. I can go elsewhere to discuss censorship. I can go elsewhere to do a lot of things. I have that choice. As do you. I choose to follow the house rules here. Sorry if you don't like it but it is MY constitutional right to enjoy this in this manner. It's my right as an American. And yours.

This thread is humorous. I'm just waiting for the moment when Jeremy & KA reveal their plans to take over the world using religion masquerad... ah forget it. I'm outta popcorn. <_<

Bobby, your opinion of the difference betwixt the two threads is borne out of ignorance and lack of perspective. Read the forums for a while and you will be (hopefully) able to discern the subleties that are escaping you now.

Thanks for calling me ignorant there. That was a good one. I happen to see that there is little difference in the two and that is my intelligent informed opinion. Because you see it differently does not make my view of it ignorant, if anything you are ignorant for thinking those with different views than your own is ignorant.

This thread is humorous.  I'm just waiting for the moment when Jeremy & KA reveal their plans to take over the world using religion masquerad...  ah forget it.  I'm outta popcorn.  <_<

Bobby, your opinion of the difference betwixt the two threads is borne out of ignorance and lack of perspective.  Read the forums for a while and you will be (hopefully) able to discern the subleties that are escaping you now.

Thanks for calling me ignorant there. That was a good one. I happen to see that there is little difference in the two and that is my intelligent informed opinion. Because you see it differently does not make my view of it ignorant, if anything you are ignorant for thinking those with different views than your own is ignorant.

VIOLIN1.gif

It is not censorship when a private organization exercises its right of free association by forming and adhering to its own rules of conduct. You are free to speak your mind on a variety of topics. You just can't do it here, unrestrained, irresponsibly. This is not your house. This is our house. We share it. We all agreed to a set of rules to make living here a happy time. You don't like the rules. I sometimes don't either. But I like it here.

I like the fact that my children can read any page on this entire site and never be assailed by profanity. I like that I can come here and discuss geocaching. I can go to the off-topic forum and discuss other things. I can go elsewhere to discuss Osama Bin Laden. I can go elsewhere to discuss censorship. I can go elsewhere to do a lot of things. I have that choice. As do you. I choose to follow the house rules here. Sorry if you don't like it but it is MY constitutional right to enjoy this in this manner. It's my right as an American. And yours.

Actually the definition I see in my dictionary would lead me to believe that it is Censorship but I will skip that one for right now. I never brought up anything about Constitutional rights here and they really don't apply. That being said, I am a member of this group. I chose to speak my disent about the subject. If whoever owns it doesn't like it, they can kick me out. We had a discussion about the subject. I assume it is over with. And thats that! Don't like it? Complain to the people who run the site just as I did. I didn't use profanity. I didn't use obscenity's. We weren't talking about Osama Bin Laden, we were talkign about a National Geographic Article that was about Coordinates in Afghanistan to a house of Osama. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean that I can't bring a problem I have up to the people who run the site.

This thread is humorous.  I'm just waiting for the moment when Jeremy & KA reveal their plans to take over the world using religion masquerad...  ah forget it.  I'm outta popcorn.  <_<

Bobby, your opinion of the difference betwixt the two threads is borne out of ignorance and lack of perspective.  Read the forums for a while and you will be (hopefully) able to discern the subleties that are escaping you now.

VIOLIN1.gif

Back at you.

Please re-read the bolded areas. I did not call you ignorant. I called this particular opinion you hold ignorant, as in:

ig·no·rant  adj.

• Lacking education or knowledge.
    Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
    Unaware or uninformed.

It was not a personal attack on you. Rather it was an informed conclusion based upon my experience in these (and other forums). If you are not excercising the grey matter upstairs to engage in reading comprehension, this is not my problem, it is yours, and belies your misinterpretation of the details of this situation. (EDIT: the thread subject, that is).

Edited by New England n00b

Please re-read the bolded areas. I did not call you ignorant. I called this particular opinion you hold ignorant, as in:

ig·no·rant  adj.

Unaware or uninformed.

It was not a personal attack on you. Rather it was an informed conclusion based upon my experience in these (and other forums). If you are not excercising the grey matter upstairs to engage in reading comprehension, this is not my problem, it is yours, and belies your misinterpretation of the details of this situation.

By saying "your opinion of the difference betwixt the two threads is borne out of ignorance and lack of perspective." You are saying I am ignorant. I have great reading comprehension and I use my brain. I am college educated and not an idiot like you portray me to be. Don't say you aren't calling me ignorant because thats exactly what you said and intended. And if "If you are not excercising the grey matter upstairs to engage in reading comprehension, this is not my problem, it is yours, and belies your misinterpretation of the details of this situation. " isn't a personal attack I don't know what is.

ig·no·rant  adj.

Unaware or uninformed.

It was not a personal attack on you. Rather it was an informed conclusion based upon my experience in these (and other forums). If you are not excercising the grey matter upstairs to engage in reading comprehension, this is not my problem, it is yours, and belies your misinterpretation of the details of this situation.

By saying "your opinion of the difference betwixt the two threads is borne out of ignorance and lack of perspective." You are saying I am ignorant. I have great reading comprehension and I use my brain. I am college educated and not an idiot like you portray me to be. Don't say you aren't calling me ignorant because thats exactly what you said and intended. And if "If you are not excercising the grey matter upstairs to engage in reading comprehension, this is not my problem, it is yours, and belies your misinterpretation of the details of this situation. " isn't a personal attack I don't know what is.

If I were to call you ignorant, I would be calling everything about you ignorant. i am not doing that at all. I am only calling ignorant this particular opinion.

For example, a medical doctors car breaks down on the highway, and he has to have a mechanic fix it. Does that mean the doctor is an idiot? No, it means he is uninformed about automobile repair. The mechanic is not educated in human body repair. Is he ignorant? Only in human body repair, not everything.

Likewise, you are expressing your ignorance in this subject, due to your lack of knowledge of the situation. I hope my example helps promote your reading comprehension. Speaking of which, the comment I made in regards to reading comprehension was an observation, not an attack. And it IS your problem. I am trying to HELP you through this problem.

If I were to call you ignorant, I would be calling everything about you ignorant. i am not doing that at all. I am only calling ignorant this particular opinion.

For example, a medical doctors car breaks down on the highway, and he has to have a mechanic fix it. Does that mean the doctor is an idiot? No, it means he is uninformed about automobile repair. The mechanic is not educated in human body repair. Is he ignorant? Only in human body repair, not everything.

Likewise, you are expressing your ignorance in this subject, due to your lack of knowledge of the situation. I hope my example helps promote your reading comprehension. Speaking of which, the comment I made in regards to reading comprehension was an observation, not an attack. And it IS your problem. I am trying to HELP you through this problem.

Your sarcasm is wasted on me. Fact is I am not ignorant in this conversation. Obviously you have been here longer than me. I guess we will give you special points for that. Just for that reason doesn't make you right. Now, here is my point. The movie was off topic if the National Geographics article was off topic. Period. Both could easily be related to geocaching as was done in both threads. The thread was reopened. Obviously someone agreed. So please English Teacher boy, explain how I am wrong.

If nothing else, Bobby's post count has increased quite dramatically here. <_<

Reading through the posts this morning, it would seem that Bobby's original question has been adequately answered.

"What are we allowed to discuss?"

Anything you dadgum well please - as long as it relates to geocaching - otherwise it gets closed down.

Simple really, after all, we're all (well, at least some of us) here because of a love of geocaching, because the forums give us a mechanism to discuss the sport, because there are a fantastic bunch of people here on the forums who freely give of their time and expertise to answer dumb questions, and because it's a hell of a lot of fun watching transgressors of the rules being warned (and sometimes closed down) by incredibly patient moderators who, IMHO, do a damned fine job.

I would suggest that now that Bobby's question has been answered, he closes down his own thread - it's gone about as far as any of us can stand......

But before you go, Bobby, log some caches, log the dnf's and above all HAVE FUN CACHING

If nothing else, Bobby's post count has increased quite dramatically here. <_<

Reading through the posts this morning, it would seem that Bobby's original question has been adequately answered.

"What are we allowed to discuss?"

Anything you dadgum well please - as long as it relates to geocaching - otherwise it gets closed down.

Simple really, after all, we're all (well, at least some of us) here because of a love of geocaching, because the forums give us a mechanism to discuss the sport, because there are a fantastic bunch of people here on the forums who freely give of their time and expertise to answer dumb questions, and because it's a hell of a lot of fun watching transgressors of the rules being warned (and sometimes closed down) by incredibly patient moderators who, IMHO, do a damned fine job.

I would suggest that now that Bobby's question has been answered, he closes down his own thread - it's gone about as far as any of us can stand......

But before you go, Bobby, log some caches, log the dnf's and above all HAVE FUN CACHING

Thanks for your input. It was nice to have a response that was civil and not calling me ignorant. I do appreciate it.