NEED HELP! New user MapSource Question!

Rogue6

Just got my first GPSR (eTrex Legend) with MetroGuide USA for Xmas. When I try to load a map of my area (Austin TX), I get a message on the PC telling me I am about to replace basemap information preloaded by Garmin on the Legend. Then it asks me twice if I am really sure I want to do this. So...do I do it? Will I screw something up if I do?

Also, I noticed that the map of Austin on the PC display (Zoomed in all the way) does not have any streets in my subdivision which has been here since the early 1980's. Could this software be that out-of-date??? Have any of you updated it through Garmin?

Sorry to use you as tech support but Garmin is closed today.

Thanks so much. I want to play with this new toy but need your help first.

Rogue6

You can download the basemap data for your unit at Garmin's website and reinstall it later if you wish. At least that's how it worked with the Vista when I had one.

As far as map detail for Metro try kicking the map detail up to max under prefrences and see if it does any good.

If you're zooming in all the way, chances are MapSource will automatically show full detail but you never know.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by Rogue6:

Just got my first GPSR (eTrex Legend) with MetroGuide USA for Xmas. When I try to load a map of my area (Austin TX), I get a message on the PC telling me I am about to replace basemap information preloaded by Garmin on the Legend. Then it asks me twice if I am really sure I want to do this. So...do I do it? Will I screw something up if I do?

It's fine to do this. It will replace the base map (which is lousy). I have the Canadian MetroGuide and it's much better than the supplied basemap, I assume the same is true for the US maps. You can download the updated base map at the Garmin website if you want to reinstall it.

quote:
Also, I noticed that the map of Austin on the PC display (Zoomed in all the way) does not have any streets in my subdivision which has been here since the early 1980's. Could this software be that out-of-date??? Have any of you updated it through Garmin??

Once you install the Metro Maps I'm sure you'll see your own street. The default basemaps don't have a lot of detail.

quote:
Thanks so much. I want to play with this new toy but need your help first.

No problem, happy hunting. icon_razz.gif

Some units are shipping from Garmin with a BlueChart mapset installed. Uploading new maps overwrites that. Applies to the Vista, may apply to yours also.

I've found the Metroguide severely lacking in my area, Roads and recreation seems much more current.

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

Your Legend came loaded with a bunch of marine waypoints (POI) data loaded into it from the factory. If you go to load maps, you'll get a couple of doom and gloom type messages that will make it look like you're about to wipe out the basemap. This isn't the case at all. Any time you upload new maps, all of the old ones are erased from the unit, so you can't load your own maps and have the POI data in there at the same time. You can however download the POI data from Garmins website from the same page you get the latest firmware from, so should you decide you want to use your Legend for offshore navigation in the future, you can re-install it, although most people would probably prefer the maps.

Have lots of fun with your new toy.

Jeff

http://home.sprynet.com/~searching_ut/