Travel Bug Strategies For Survival?

dantonac

Ok,

I have been geocaching now for about 3-4 years. Ever since the TBs became common I have found that more often than not if I visit a cache that lists a TB as being in it, there isn't one. When I do find a TB in a cache, the cache page often doesn't list that there is one in it.

This got me to thinking. Are people using a strategy of not publicizing the location of TBs so that thiefs will have a harder time finding them?

I also noticed that the TB I found today (wasn't listed as being there) contained hanging chads from the 2000 US presidential election.

Now, there is a neat souvenir. I didn't take the TB because I wasn't going to be travelling anytime soon, but I was sitting there thinking "I would love to have this for myself".

I am basically an honest person, but I wonder how long that TB is going to last before someone decides they can't pass the opportunity up.

Ok, so why am I typing this? Well I bought a half dozen TB tags a few months ago and haven't used them yet. The fact that I rarely find TBs where they say they are as well as the frequency which they seem to go missing on these forums has given me pause. I don't really want to put much effort into the process for someone to just steal them.

Therefore this thread can be a TB survival guide of sorts. Those of you who have placed TBs that have survived a good time can share your tips as well as comment on 2 ideas I have.

My 2 ideas are:

1. place the TB without posting it's location. Attached to the TB and at the TB web page put a note requesting that the new location of the TB not be posted. Only folks who find it post and when they move it they can email it's location or say nothing.

2. Attach the TB to something nobody would want. Any kid's toy or memoribilia like those hanging chads are going to be desired by someone, but a TB attached to just a note doesn't seem as appealing to a thief.

Ok, I am done now, thanks for reading and tia for commenting.

Best thing, imo, is to get a travel bug that doesn't look cute enough that some cachers little 6 year old is going to glom onto and not want to let go. I drilll holes through any of mine that look remotely cool or cute, to reduce the cool or cute factor in the bug. That doesn't mean they'll not go MIA, just lessens the chance I think.

I know what you maen be them not being where there suppo to be. It seem that people think its game to collect them. When I go out and look for caches I go to one with a TB in. I've been to 3 with tb and they were not there.Amd me frist one went MIA and never made it to the next caches. Well i think all u have to do is put alot of them out and mabe one will live.