Appalachian Trail & Then Some...

Polgara

Just curious...

How many cachers have gone on overnight camping adventures, where you packed up your gear, carried everything ya got on your back, or with the help of a pup, and just hit the trail for a few days or months.

What trail did you take, how far did you hike, what was your experience like?

What item was an absolute necessity in which you didn't even realize how important it was to have along, till you began your journey?

Where do you most want to do your next thru hike?

Maybe you logged some caches on your journey?

I've never done a thru hike for caches yet, but I'd like to try it sometime. Just wondering what experiences other cachers have had when on a thru hike experience. <_<

The Northville-Lake Placid Trail (~130 mi) a couple of times, almost all of the Catskills, crossed the Continental Divide in Colorado, and about 250 miles of the AT at one time or another...

The only time I've cached on an extended hike was during a walk across Maryland on the AT, but have gone out for weekends in Western Maryland. Then there was the Catskill Backpackers' Event where we climbed to find two virtual airplane wrecks...

I went 10 days on the Northville-Placid trail without anything to read. All I had were the metric conversion tables on the back cover of a composition book. "a liter is 1.06 quarts, an meter is 39.37 inches..."

I'd like to do some shorter weekenders this winter, and have always thought the an AT thru hike would be a good transition into retirement...

The longest I've ever spent out on the trail was 5 days doing the Devil's Path and Overlook Trail in the Catskills. Yeah, its only about 35 miles total, but we walk reeeeal slow (the Devil's Path does live up to its name, being very rocky and steep).

I once thought I'd like to do the entire AT. It practically runs through my backyard and I've done all of the section in my state. Now I'm not so sure. As much as I love backpacking, I think thru hiking the AT would be backpacking's version of the Bataan Death March. Who knows, in 10 years I may change my mind again.

Metaphor mentioned the geocaching/backpacking trip in the Catskills. I was there with him and we had a great time. It was only an overnight trip, but it was a fun.

I backpack with a friend or several friends as often as possible. I go for 2 - 3 nights along the Applachian Trail and am trying to cover as much of the trail as I can with these section hikes. In VA there are quite a few caches within reach of the A.T., and we log as many as we can. We have had absolutely great times on the trail! My favorite piece of gear is the Hennessey Hammock.

I have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail (2170 miles) twice and have finished sections from Georgia up to northern Virginia for a third time. I have also done the John Muir trail (212 miles) through the high Sierra region of California and Vermont's Long Trail (265 miles).

Generally long distance hiking, caching, and photography don't mix that well for logistic reasons. There are caches near, or in some cases, on the Appalachian Trail that would be easy to get. Keep in mind there are a lot of areas where trails go that prohibit caching.

Back in the '60's did some forays on the Ho Chi Minh Trail looking for some real caches. Sometimes you had to really hide from the muggles.

There are several AT trails I've been on. Did the Appalachin back in the '70's then in '90's did several sections of the Arizona Trail. When I lived in Upstate NY, spent many a day on the trails in the Adirondaks. In the early 80's did sections of the Colorado Trail before it was even a trail system. Now I'm waiting for them to get working on the Northern section of the CO trail, who knows they may just get near some of my caches that are back up there.

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

Every year a group of us drive 12 hours north to the Boundry Waters in Minnesota. We are generally there for 4 to 6 days. This is a very remote place and the only thing you get to eat is what you bring with you or catch. This type of trip includes hiking, portaging and lots of paddling. We see bears, moose, beavers and bald eagles. In fact, bald eagles are so common you forget they are there. We hear wolves howling at night and early in the morning and the sound of loons is very cool. We see a lot of wildlife and are able to catch and eat fresh Walleye and small mouth bass. While hiking we usually get to feast on wild blueberries, rasberries, thimbleberries and strawberries. The blueberries are so sweet and delicious they make your mouth water and are a great source of instant energy.

Because we carry all our supplies, we use kevlar canoes (37 lbs.) and bring a lot of dehydrated meals to supplement the fish that we catch everyday. We depend on water filters and occaisionally use water sanitation tablets (iodine).

Every year a group of us drive 12 hours north to the Boundry Waters in Minnesota. We are generally there for 4 to 6 days. This is a very remote place and the only thing you get to eat is what you bring with you or catch. This type of trip includes hiking, portaging and lots of paddling. We see bears, moose, beavers and bald eagles. In fact, bald eagles are so common you forget they are there. We hear wolves howling at night and early in the morning and the sound of loons is very cool. We see a lot of wildlife and are able to catch and eat fresh Walleye and small mouth bass. While hiking we usually get to feast on wild blueberries, rasberries, thimbleberries and strawberries. The blueberries are so sweet and delicious they make your mouth water and are a great source of instant energy.

Because we carry all our supplies, we use kevlar canoes (37 lbs.) and bring a lot of dehydrated meals to supplement the fish that we catch everyday. We depend on water filters and occaisionally use water sanitation tablets (iodine).

Sounds like the 5 days we spent on the Allagash Wilderness Waterway in Maine except for the kevlar canoes. The rocks on the Allagash would make quick work of those, but they are nicer to portage than the heavy Old Town Tripper we rented. Ouch that was heavy! Thank goodness the longest portage was a half mile. One day we paddled to within 15 feet of a moose feeding in the river. She didn't even know we were there. It was very similar to your experience, with the loons, bald eagles and wild berries, which made great pancakes in the morning.

My dad and I sometimes go on over night cache hunts. Once my cousin and I did a four day hike in the Bighorns of Wyoming. He had no difficulty with it, but I am from sea level, so 10,000 foot hikes were a little bothersome for me. Still fun though. Great fishing and the best views I think I have ever seen.

When I was in Boy Scouts, twenty-odd years ago, I would regularly hike the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail. It runs 70 miles from Seward (near Johnstown, PA) south along the Laurel Ridge to Ohiopyle (near Uniontown). Typically, it would be a 7 day hike to summer camp.

I've wanted to get back and do the trail again but I've only had the chance to do 30 miles of it. My primary goal was the hike itself but geocaching helped to provide some goal-oriented motivation to the endeavor.

LHHT-Maple Summit Rd. to Rt. 653

LHHT-LHHT-Rt. 653 to Grindle Ridge

LHHT-Grindle Ridge to Rt. 31

Every year for the past several years I have done some thru-biking, riding my bicycle along the "Youghotomic", The Youghiogheny River Trail, Allegheny Highlands Trail and C&O Canal Towpath totaling 320 miles from near Pittsburgh, PA to Washington DC.

Youghotomic Odyssey 1999

Youghotomic Odyssey 2003

Youghotomic Odyssey 2004

I want to do more thru-hiking along the Appalachian Trail, the North Country Trail and the Baker Trail.

I am, by nature, a thru-hiker/biker. I do not want to pay for the same real estate twice by walking out and then coming back. Of course, that tends to limit me in that I need to get someone to drop me off or pick me up at either end of the trail orI could park at one end and get picked up at the other end to take me back to my car. The other limiting factor is that it takes several days at least, tought to squeeze out of my schedule.

> What item was an absolute necessity in which you didn't even realize

> how important it was to have along, till you began your journey?

When you get into camp with not enough daylight to press on to the next shelter area, what do you do with the time before dark? If you're with a group, you can fill that space with conversation around the campfire but if you are like me, you're by yourself. What then? You can only stare at the fire for so long.

Take a book!

The one I'm itching to walk more of is the Ridgeway in England. It's been a path since darkest prehistory and may be the oldest continuously used road in the world. It starts (or ends, if you prefer) in Avebury (as in the stone circle) and goes past dozens of archeological sites. Burial mounds, white horses, artificial hills, stone circles, old fortifications...the lot. The currently maintained trail is 85 miles long, and I've only walked a tiny fraction of it.

I wasn't a geocacher when I was last in the area, but I am SO going caching there next time.

Do you have a web link to information on this walk? 

Try this. It's Wiltshire's tourism site. It also includes walks past Stonehenge, the White Horse Trail...all sorts of stuff. It's a fantastic county. I guess those would be mostly day trips too, though.

You can get interesting hits from personal websites by googling "ridgeway" and "wayland's smithy" or "uffington" or "dragon hill."

It looks like the Wye Valley is just Northwest of Wiltshire, so you'd be well set to do both. Walking in the area is awesome, in the good, old-fashioned sense of the word.

Earlier this year I went and logged a few caches near Harrisburg of the AT. I spent two nights/three days caching along the trail. I put everything in my backpack and hit the trail. I wanted to do a lot of things on this trip, one being get away from things. Of course log a few great caches. I always wanted to work out any kinks in my gear.

Every part of my trip was great in their own way. Even the monsoon that came through at its moments. I also found out some likes and dislikes in my choices of gear. I have a few more trips in the works, if I can only get the time off from work to carry out those plans.

I dream of a long distance hike. Of course my pesky job and responsibilites keep getting in my way! One day I will live out my dream; maybe after grad school... :lol:

BTW, dogs on the trail is a huge arguement between those for and those against. I've read many arguements both for and against. These debates would make Keystone's head spin.

It looks like the Wye Valley is just Northwest of Wiltshire, so you'd be well set to do both. Walking in the area is awesome, in the good, old-fashioned sense of the word.

I've walked on the trail around Builth Wells/Wye River Walk and Rhyador, and it is awesome. One of the things I like about walking there is the open access (like on the AT but more widespread) -- all one has to do is stay to the defined pathways through private properties, be polite, close gates, and simply enjoy the walk. Many of these trails are centuries old, and the rights of way have been 'legalized' by law, so that there is always a path to follow. In fact this is the road above Rhyador I followed two summers ago -- those are cart tracks worn into the rock from before the Romans invaded Britain... very cool.

I would love to do the AT..

Except that first I would have to lose 100 pounds, figure out a way around my back problems, buy every single piece of hiking gear one could need since I have none.... lol...

I have a friend who did it and raised over $45,000 for charity when he did..

The longest I've spent backpacking was 18 days along parts of the Pacific Crest and John Muir trails in 1991. I've spent many 10-14 day trips backpacking too. I can ONLY take about a week of it now.

I got sick this year just before I was supposed to hit the trail. :ph34r: I haven't missed a backcountry trip since 1988. :D That's how I recharge my batteries for another year in The Armpit of the Universe. :D:huh:

Last year I hid 4 geocaches in the Recess Valley. (2 .30 call ammo cans, a micro, and a small seed cache with 4 micros inside.) All the remote wilderness locations were chosen carefully to minimize impact and maximize the WOW factor. (I have been keeping personal caches in this area since the late 80's)

A local resort owner was thrilled that I was bringing geocaching to his area and he offered to maintain them when I'm not there and discussed offering Geocacher discounts like he does for PCT thru hikers.

I didn't list them because of the arbitrary flap about wilderness caches that was going on right as I got back to Mammoth and on the advice of SoCal Approver. Some pretty stupid uninformed carp got said, so everyone outta the pool. <_< Funny thing is, it ALL happened on the East Coast.

I share the coords privately now. One of the caches is at the location where I want my ashes spread. :D

FWIW- all this carp about wilderness caches being bad is totally stupid. Wilderness Management agencies allow pack stock, hunting, and even mining operations within their boundaries. I want to yak every time I hear some PC bleedin' heart cry that geocaching shouldn't be allowed in wilderness areas. :huh:

I've never done a thru hike for caches yet, but I'd like to try it sometime.  Just wondering what experiences other cachers have had when on a thru hike experience.  :lol:

Do it soon! Do it soon!.

The longer you wait, the more life gets in the way.

The hike I am most proud that I did was an 8-day hike in Torres del Paine (Chile), over the Andean Range. I guess that was back in ... oh geez ... January (i.e. summer) 1995.

My hiking partner and I carried everything we needed on our backs. It was tough for me to keep up with his pace as he was much taller than me (like 90% of the population) so he had a longer stride, plus he was just more fit. We sometimes hiked separately - with him up ahead somewhere (just like our friends "www"). I'd catch up to him and often find he already had the tent set up! Not a bad deal.

We drank melted glacial water (lots of ice melting around us) and I don't recall ever needing to purify the water. We didn't get sick, either!

We chose food that was high in caloric content for its weight. So, chocolate and honey were good things. Pasta and sauce was not so good, but we dragged it along just because he wanted it.

Thanks, Polgara, for making me think back on that time. Excellent memories ..

I've never done a thru hike for caches yet, but I'd like to try it sometime.  Just wondering what experiences other cachers have had when on a thru hike experience.  :rolleyes:

Do it soon! Do it soon!.

The longer you wait, the more life gets in the way.

The hike I am most proud that I did was an 8-day hike in Torres del Paine (Chile), over the Andean Range. I guess that was back in ... oh geez ... January (i.e. summer) 1995.

My hiking partner and I carried everything we needed on our backs. It was tough for me to keep up with his pace as he was much taller than me (like 90% of the population) so he had a longer stride, plus he was just more fit. We sometimes hiked separately - with him up ahead somewhere (just like our friends "www"). I'd catch up to him and often find he already had the tent set up! Not a bad deal.

We drank melted glacial water (lots of ice melting around us) and I don't recall ever needing to purify the water. We didn't get sick, either!

We chose food that was high in caloric content for its weight. So, chocolate and honey were good things. Pasta and sauce was not so good, but we dragged it along just because he wanted it.

Thanks, Polgara, for making me think back on that time. Excellent memories ..

That sounds very cool MissJenn! I definetly want to try an adventure like that, did you go with a group, I remember you telling me about this hike before, sounds like an unforgettable adventure.

I live at the foothills of the central California Sierra. This is premium hiking country. I have spent every summer on one kind of trek or another for the past seven years. I don't cache when I'm hiking because almost all my trips have been within either Kings Canyon or Sequoia National Parks. Next year (2005) I'm planning to do the Rae Lakes Loop. I have to do the more strenuous trips before I get old .... I'm only 63 now.

My most valuable piece of gear is my home made alcohol stove, followed by my Hennessey Hammock, topographical maps, compass, water filter and camp shoes, pretty much in that order.

My most memerable hiking experience was when I was in the Boy Scouts, sometime around 1964-65. We hiked a 70 mile stint along the Cascade Crest Trail from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass in Washington State. We took 9 days and spent two nights at one location. It was a great experience and something which I have not had the opportunity to do again, altho I do think about it from time to time.

Bob