Magellan Sportrak Map Broke!!

VMIScot

<_<

DING DANG IT!!

I was out on a hunt today and got the "Low Battery Warning" alarm on my Magellan SporTrak Map. I unscrewed the battery compartment cover and the screw brought along a piece of the unit that it screws into! So I now have a GPS unit that requires duct tape to keep the battery in the unit! I have not dropped this unit in the three weeks I have had it nor has it been abused in any manner!

Does anyone have any experience with this happening to them or have any guidance on dealing with Magellan and their repairs? From what I see, it is seems there is a $65 "repair fee." Should I expect to be ripped off this $65 or does Magellan stand by their equipment? (Sorry about the tone but I am VERY frustrated over this!!!!)

As always, thanks for any help you can give!

Given you've only had it three weeks I would guess that it would still be under warranty and should thus be fixed/replaced for free. Would suggest 2 methods of dealing with it, 1) call Magellin customer service and let them know how disappointed you are that in a brief three weeks of normal usage the unit has fallen apart at the battery compartment. 2) Take it back to where purchased and exchange it for another one and let them handle the defective product return to manufacturer.

did you buy this new or used?

if it was new, you should be covered under the warrenty from magellan, if not the store as well...

Even if its used i would call up magellan and explain how happy you were with your unit, but how sadening it is that the piece came lose. maybe they can do something for you, maybe not, if you rip their head off from the start they sure aren't.

Unfortunately, the sportraks are known for cracking. It appears to be the type of plastic they used. Magellan has been fairly good about replacing cases at no cost, even if the unit wasn't under warrenty anymore. It all depends on them deciding if you abused the unit or not. So far with mine, I had to pay for the first case replacement when the carry case belt clip failed, and the display lens cracked. They gave me a new unit to replace the one they replaced the case on, as the new case was cracked at the screw holes when I opened the box. That unit cracked at both the screw holes over time, and in the back around the battery compartment door, as did the other unit I bought as a gift.

As for dealing with Magellan, just give them a call. They don't always respond to e-mail.

Edited by Searching_ut

The battery carrage hold down is, indeed, prone to cracking. You can reduce the chance of cracking by: 1)Putting a little 'O' ring lube on the seal - that will reduce the draw down force on the case screw boss. 2) Lightly press down on the battery carrage as you turn the screw until the carrage is seated - then back-off the screw 1/2 turn. DON'T over tighten the screw. :lol:

:blink: Thanks for your help, everyone. I took it back to the store where I bought it and they replaced it without a hitch. Also, I checked with Magellan and the woman told me they would take it back if the retailer did not. Seems that both places are good to deal with.

Thanks again for your help!