Gig Harbor Cache Machine

travisl

Great idea Happy, I wonder if this is the very first cache using WiFi. Dick, W7WT

Since you asked, I had to do my research. Currently, there are nine caches (including mine) with the word WiFi in their description. However, only one actually uses the technology. The others have caches in the area of free WiFi's.

My cache is the first one in the United States! There is one in Scotland. It was placed only a few weeks ago.

First WiFi cache in the U.S.! Wooee! I'm trendy and didn't even know it. :rolleyes:

P.S. You don't have to have WiFi equipment to do this cache. I did an underwater cache with out any diving equipment. icon8.gif

Note to all the Puzzle People out there.  "Deductible Cache Contributions" (GHCRGP) is not included on the route, of course, but it IS in the area.  (That's a rather major HINT, by the way!)  In fact, you'll be within a few hundred yards of it while doing a couple of the other caches on the route.

Have you confirmed it is still there? The last searcher is convinced it is gone.

Huh? :rolleyes: The last log says they found it.

Geez - I must have been looking at one of the 3 other pages required.

Sorry for the confusion...

That's what I get for trying to cache and work simultaneously :unsure:

BTW: I have placed this one roughly 2/3 of the way into the route - does that sound like the right coordinates? (I hope that isn't a give-away)

Edited by pdxmarathonman
Note to all the Puzzle People out there.  "Deductible Cache Contributions" (GHCRGP) is not included on the route, of course, but it IS in the area.  (That's a rather major HINT, by the way!)  In fact, you'll be within a few hundred yards of it while doing a couple of the other caches on the route.

Have you confirmed it is still there? The last searcher is convinced it is gone.

I have no reason to think it's gone. The last five logs have been finds, the most recent on November 28. It is not in a "high traffic" area so it is unlikely that it has been muggled. I'm confident enough that I'm NOT going up there to check on it tonight!

Hey, if anyone from the East Side needs a ride and/or is looking for a carpool party, we have a caravan leaving at 6:00 am tomorrow from the Park n Ride at exit 2 [Grady Way] off I-405 in Renton. Email me by 11 am tonight if you want us to look for you. We plan to stay through dinner and the night caching.

So far we have 7 folks: hydnsek, the jester, blooming idiot, masterpuzzler, cache ahead, littleblue, k7-wave.

This is the second annual East Side CM carpool party, following from the Big Fun we had last year at SnOlympia when MarcusArelius drove a 6-person party van, and we played tag with Jester's carpool all day.

See ya there!

Edited by hydnsek

What? The morning after and nobody yet up here to peck a mot on all the fun???

I too slept in and woke to a good gob of white fluffy stuff here in Seattle (good grief!), but nary a flake, nor hardly a drop of (even) rain to spoil yesterday's adventure in GH.

Suffice the very B-E-S-T 16 hours yet in 2005. Clearly GH hiders are an extraordinarily crafty bunch, and... With Micro-man and Map-quest-modonna in the backseat, and the Turn-around twins in the front (Tolmaus, EGH!, grossi and moi) - Team Turn-around purely laughed their way through 30+ finds.

Much more later, but quick thanks to TravisL - a most wondrous event, indeed!

I don't know if there is another thread about "Best quotes heard while geocaching" but I thought I would add this here.

The best quote I heard on the GHCM was over the radio. Someone (who will remain nameless) was having trouble finding the restaurant on Saturday evening. I over heard his pleas for help on the radio. After several unsuccessful attempts and requests for help over the radio I heard someone on the radio say, "You can find a micro, but you can't find a restaurant?"

I laughed so hard I almost cried. ;)

Did you see the headline in Sunday's paper?:

Sun shines on Geocachers in Gig Harbor - sets on Seahawks

Well, I didn't see it either. But it would've been accurate!

I stopped and did the Half Moon cache on my way back to Portland Sunday, and was treated to glorious clear blue skies!

Edited by pdxmarathonman

This was our first CM, but, it won't be our last...what a blast! Now, I have to admit that one of the most fun parts is standing by a cache that you've previously found and laugh at the new hunters. Of course, that pretty much describes GeoDiver's entire day - did he actually log ANY finds?? Oh, well, this was a Great time! Thanks again to TravisL. Oh, and YES, it did snow in Gig Harbor the morning after the CM...too funny.

Superb event. Huge perks to Travis for organizing it!

LadyDi and I enjoyed meeting lots of new folks and getting to know which names went with which faces.

Now, I apologize for being so out of it, but could someone please point me toward the Wenatchee event everyone keeps referring to? (No, don't tell me it's in Wenatchee. I KNOW where THAT is!) :huh:

14 plus hours of caching yesterday and what do I do! I sleep in and with NLS head back to our own round 2. We had so much fun yesterday that we decided to head back and find some that we had skipped yesterday.

So today was a shorter day, but still fun!

Thanks to everyone for a great day yesterday. I look forward to the next cache machine!

This was our first CM, but, it won't be our last...what a blast! Now, I have to admit that one of the most fun parts is standing by a cache that you've previously found and laugh at the new hunters. Of course, that pretty much describes GeoDiver's entire day - did he actually log ANY finds?? Oh, well, this was a Great time! Thanks again to TravisL. Oh, and YES, it did snow in Gig Harbor the morning after the CM...too funny.

YES...GeoDiver DID log one cache. I had not done "Power of the Written Word II". Skoogie, you should have known that...we passed each other on the trail to and from it. I had to leave at least one cache to do during the machine. Otherwise GeoGrammy might not have let me participate.

It was a great day...although I would prefer to "machine" in an area that I haven't already cached. Next time!

Thanks to ALL who made it happen!!!!!!

My first cache machine- wow, what fun! I met so many people, I doubt I could remember them all! I wish I had had more time to chat and visit. Gig Harbor sure has some really fun caches! Anyone want to go back with me sometime and get the ones I didn't get to? :huh:

Any time LB. What a great set of hides there. I only got 40 and there must be at least that many more to do.

My first cache machine- wow, what fun! I met so many people, I doubt I could remember them all! I wish I had had more time to chat and visit. Gig Harbor sure has some really fun caches! Anyone want to go back with me sometime and get the ones I didn't get to?  :rolleyes:

Any time LB. What a great set of hides there. I only got 40 and there must be at least that many more to do.

I'm in too. Got skunked out on "Galoping Gertie" due to tides. Only got to about half of the caches on the route. I'm up for a Mini-Machine to finish out the list...

I'm in too. Got skunked out on "Galoping Gertie" due to tides.

I'll wave to you from the bridge- been there, done that! :ph34r: My only suggestion is that it may be better to do that one when the tide is on its way *out* instead of *in*! :rolleyes:

I'm up for a return visit! Lots of good caches on that list- I'd especially like to get back to the 4 other night caches we didn't get to. They looked fun!

I wasn't sure if I would enjoy a cache machine or not...now I know. Yet another aspect of geocaching that I find completely addicting. Being in the company of tolmaus, globalgirl, and evergreenhiker! was most enjoyable, and the four of us hope to complete the machine another day.

Now, I apologize for being so out of it, but could someone please point me toward the Wenatchee event everyone keeps referring to? (No, don't tell me it's in Wenatchee. I KNOW where THAT is!) :huh:

The Wenatchee Cache Machine will be April 2. There's no event page for it yet; expect that in late February.

If you keep the Gig Harbor Cache Machine on your watch list, you'll be one of the first to know about the WCM page going live, because I'll post a note to the GHCM page when it does.

Of course, it'll also have its own forum topic.

(I'd told some folks on Saturday that it would be March 28, but I'd meant March 26, and didn't realize that March 27 was Easter. So April 2 it is.)

My first cache machine- wow, what fun! I met so many people, I doubt I could remember them all! I wish I had had more time to chat and visit. Gig Harbor sure has some really fun caches! Anyone want to go back with me sometime and get the ones I didn't get to?  :laughing:

I'm up for that! (Schedule permitting)

LB, LRII, P&C - Yeah, we only did 39 of them, we need to go back and do the rest. With the short days we still have, it would be easy to schedule in the other night caches!

Wenatchee - Oh, April 2 ... I'm not sure I can work that in with my climb/teaching schedule. I've done 30+ over there and there are some nice ones, but look out some the nicer ones require uphill walking! A lot of up hill walking.

For those heading back to gig harbor...better be sure to check for NEW caches. By the time you arrive, there could be another 100. I can't decide whether or not to archive some or just go for Quickie #7 - #20....several were planned out and never made it.

Oh, I better check to see if anyone has logged a find on BlueHeron's new one....

For those heading back to gig harbor...better be sure to check for NEW caches. By the time you arrive, there could be another 100. I can't decide whether or not to archive some or just go for Quickie #7 - #20....several were planned out and never made it.

Oh, I better check to see if anyone has logged a find on BlueHeron's new one....

Awesome....more caches the better! I do know that my gang will be returning at a later date to clean up the list and probably do others.

For those heading back to gig harbor...better be sure to check for NEW caches...

Awesome....more caches the better! I do know that my gang will be returning at a later date to clean up the list and probably do others.

Indeed EGH - Team Turn-Around shall return to the Harbor of Gig for yet another round of "Subaru Circle", followed by an encore performance of "Acrophobia Allegro". :D