Gig Harbor Cache Machine

travisl

Three things:

Hotels

There's three motels in the area: the Best Western Wesley ($119 a night! ouch!), the Inn at Gig Harbor ($89 a night - still expensive), and the Westwynd in Purdy (prices not listed online).  There's bed and breakfasts around, but I don't know what their rates would be (The Rose of Gig Harbor lists a price of $150, but others may be more or less).

It might be worth the drive from one of the cheaper hotels in Tacoma.

Pre-Event Dinner

The pre-event dinner will be a potluck at Murphy's Landing, the same place the Peninsula Cache-In was held last February.  It's a great spot.

I would recommend driving to a Tacoma hotel or camping at Kopachuck before staying at the Westwynd. Dirty, moldy, smelly. The Best Western is very nice and is a short walk to the Park and Ride meeting place, coffee shop, restaurants. The Inn at Gig Harbor is nice too be not as 'walking around' friendly.

Has the time of the pre event dinner been decided ?

We haev a motorhome parked by our home in Gig Harbor if anyone's stuck for lodging. sleeps 3 comfortably, and one more uncomfortably! :P

Well, i've confirmed with work that i do get the weekend off, so I'll be leavin yakima about Noon on friday. I think that i'm gonna drive over myself, but probably join up with George, or i just might end up goin with him. I'll probably drive though. The good ole' subaru is awesome in the snow and i'll eat the pass alive!!!! lol. Anywho's, I have room should somone need to car-pool, just ask. Also I think that I'm stayin in Tacoma somewhere, but nothing confirmed yet. ;) Ohhhh i cant WAIT, havent been to CM since Spokane! I need to be back in the action.

~Derek

The final route is posted, along with a 186-page packet of all cache pages (at Slinger's request), a GPX file (it may or may not work), and a MapPoint 2004 file.

Also, note that for the pre-event potluck, you should park on street, not in the lot, or you might get towed.

Will history repeat?.....

f7c0ae21-8446-40e7-b532-0870a00111b1.jpg

Wouldn't that be a hoot?!?!?

Nooooo....a repeat would not be funny!

Stupid SNOW all I can remember from last year is FROZEN toes (ouch).

I'm still waiting to decide if I'm gonna come out and play with y'all, I do know if it snows I'm wimping out.

Come on spring time cache machine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pepper

I'd like to go to the night cache portion of the cache machine but have a function around dinner time, so I won't be able to make dinner.

Is there an estimate on what time dinner usually ends? Or can I get someone to call me when dinner is finsihng up?

Hopefully, I'll be able to get out of my monkey suit and down there quickly enough to meet the group at at least second night cache.

I'd like to go to the night cache portion of the cache machine but have a function around dinner time, so I won't be able to make dinner.

Is there an estimate on what time dinner usually ends? Or can I get someone to call me when dinner is finsihng up?

Hopefully, I'll be able to get out of my monkey suit and down there quickly enough to meet the group at at least second night cache.

I'm in the same boat, Bull. So I would be interested in the same scenario.

That's funny - he said usually when referring to a cache machine.

If nobody else will call you, I will. But last year I missed dinner at Snolympia 'cause I was still out caching :D

You said get out of Monkey Suit? That would be interesting to wear geocaching through town!

Not to belabor the point, but I'd like to quote myself from the original thread about this cache machine: (Nov 20, 2004)

Travis!!!! Didn't you learn last January??? Are you really ready to inflict that weather on the Gig Harbor area?  :D

But then, as I also said back then:

What the heck, I'm a sucker for pain/cold/epics, I think I'll come.  :D

See you all there! (Except for the weather wimps - don't worry, we still love you)

I've made reservations for 24 people at 5:30. We might go over that, so if you're late, we'll have to get cozy. Or you'll have to stand. Or get stuck on the far side of the restaurant (but you'll still be able to smell us :( )

I'd expect dinner to go for 2-3 hours. Give me your number and I'll call you as we're wrapping up.

You said get out of Monkey Suit? That would be interesting to wear geocaching through town!

Uhh... not that kind of a monkey suit. The kind I have to wear to formal occasions, the kind that make me feel like more of a monkey than if I were wearing an actual monkey costume.

Thanks, travis, I'll PM you my cell #.

Ohhh, sounds like nice weather! Just what this old mountaineer likes. :angry:

The nice thing about caching in the cold, is that you can always put on more clothes. As opposed to caching in the heat, where there is a limit on how much you can take off. :angry: Gee, in Nudecacher going to join us (in all his splendor)? :angry:

It's not like you're going to be in it all day, you get to warm up in car between caches. Just remember that your coat insulates both ways, once in the warm car open it to let heat in. Bring a large thermos of hot drinks. Don't tie your boots/shoes too tight or wear too many sox (restricted blood flow will chill them) - or check at REI for the electric heated socks I saw there. A change(s) of clothes in the car in case you get damp/wet will help.

I have been out making sure all of my caches are ready for everyone this weekend. They are now all in great shape. I have updated coords and info on some of them so you might want to recheck your info before heading out.

One thing I did notice while I was out today. It's COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD out there!

I will working on a fund raiser with my scout troop Saturday a.m. but I hope to join in the fun mid afternoon.

If all goes well there will be a new WiFi cache out by the time everyone hits town.

Well, here's one person hoping for MORE snow than is being advertised (I've heard only a couple inches likely around this area if any; but, you never know). Bring your sleds, there's plenty of fun in the Harbor if we get enough snow.

Alright - I hate to add to the frustration of late caches, but, The Big Bonus at Wilkinson Farm was placed on New Years Day. I won't encourage a lot of folks to get it while at Wilkinson Farm (I don't want to mess with Travis' awesome time table), but, it should be an easy one on your way out of town!

I'm sure we'll see some of you brave souls this weekend...

S

Sounds like we picked up a couple campers for the Skoogie & Squirtle house. No, we're not listed on the AAA website, but, we do have some room for sleeping bags if you need a spot. We'll be at the Pre-Party friday night...hit us up if you need a spot for a nap! There will only be a short background/security check which I'm sure any cacher in camo and paint on their face could pass. Squirtle's probably up for late night of PS2 challenges, so, kids (or adult kids) are welcome too!

Wow - this could be trouble, huh??....Ms. Skoogie is looking at me...

I've got three route changes that I'll announce on Friday night, but for those of you getting your stuff pre-programmed for Saturday:

- Add GCMDZQ Safe Harbor Travel Bug Hotel N 47° 18.804 W 122° 34.960 as stop 9.1

- Add GCMDJR BIG Bonus At Wilkinson Farm N 47° 19.ABC W 122° 35.DEF

(look in Wilkinson Farm cache for ABC DEF) as stop 29.1

- I suspect most auto-routing software will tell you to take Stone Drive between stop 13 (Galloping Gertie) and 14 (Bridge View Revisited), but Stone Drive is closed; take the brand spankin' new 24th St. overpass instead.

I'll repeat this on Friday night for those who don't read this posting, or for those who don't want to worry about it until then.

And a reminder: if you're still out caching at 5:30 p.m., wrap it up and come to dinner. There's more night caching to do afterwards.

Happy Gillmore has a puzzle cache that has the key to solving it right there on the page (it might be encrypted) - so for those of you who need a 15 minute break from the doldrums can solve it and add it to your route. I think I am calling it stop 3.1.

I might be doing the puzzle wrong, but it looks to me like it might make more sense to make it stop 4.1. Am I off?

pdxmarathonman, thank you for suggesting my "Lest We Forget" cache. I think it would be an easy and enjoyable one. If you look at the puzzle and it looks like the Westerly coordinate is missing a digit, it isn't. It will become evident when you solve the puzzle.

NEWS FLASH

For all of you really high tech geocachers be looking for a brand new WiFi cache in Gig Harbor to pop-up any time in the next 24 hours. The cache waypoint is GCMEBC: A Dark & Stormy Night #3: WiFi Wardrive. You can actually pick this up as you drive into town. I hope you enjoy it. It should be a blast. It even tells you where you can get free WiFi while you are here.

Just to follow up on a note that was previously posted about "GEOrge Was Here" cache.

I just came back from visiting all of the merchants that are around this cache. I told them to expect a big crowd Friday and Saturday walking around looking in bushes, flower pots, etc. They were excited for the extra foot traffic.

If you need your nails done, shoes repaired, work on your tan, buy a wireless card for your notebook, or want your dog groomed, you can have that all done at this cache location.

So if you see the merchants watching you, wave and smile. Oh, BTW, I did not tell them where the 5 caches are. <_<

Happy Gillmore has a puzzle cache that has the key to solving it right there on the page (it might be encrypted) - so for those of you who need a 15 minute break from the doldrums can solve  it and add it to your route.  I think I am calling it stop 3.1.

I might be doing the puzzle wrong, but it looks to me like it might make more sense to make it stop 4.1. Am I off?

No Moun10Bike - I just mis-typed the darn number <_<

4.1 is what I have entered in the PDA!

Edited by pdxmarathonman

A few last minute things (crossposted to the cache page):

1) Reminder that dinner tonight is a potluck. I'll bring the plates, silverware, and napkins. Also, remember to park along the street, not in the parking lot, or you might get towed.

2) Unlike prior CM's, lunch on Saturday is unscheduled. You'll need to fend for yourself en route.

3) MrGigabyte was kind enough to create a web page listing all of the caches on the route. The page should make a good checklist as you're hunting, and as a starting point for logging all those caches on Sunday.

See you tonight!

Note to all the Puzzle People out there. "Deductible Cache Contributions" (GHCRGP) is not included on the route, of course, but it IS in the area. (That's a rather major HINT, by the way!) In fact, you'll be within a few hundred yards of it while doing a couple of the other caches on the route.

I have about 5 people who have expressed an interest in a quick class on Paperless Caching. Most of these will no doubt be people new to caching, and unlikely to be on the forums, but just in case... if you are interested, please shoot me a private email and let me know. I'm planning a handout and want to have enough copies.

BTW, there will be NO SNOW in The Harbor. So there! :rolleyes:

A few last minute things (crossposted to the cache page):

1) Reminder that dinner tonight is a potluck. I'll bring the plates, silverware, and napkins. Also, remember to park along the street, not in the parking lot, or you might get towed.

2) Unlike prior CM's, lunch on Saturday is unscheduled. You'll need to fend for yourself en route.

3) MrGigabyte was kind enough to create a web page listing all of the caches on the route. The page should make a good checklist as you're hunting, and as a starting point for logging all those caches on Sunday.

See you tonight!

Very cool regarding web link....Thanks Mr. Gigabyte!

Note to all the Puzzle People out there. "Deductible Cache Contributions" (GHCRGP) is not included on the route, of course, but it IS in the area. (That's a rather major HINT, by the way!) In fact, you'll be within a few hundred yards of it while doing a couple of the other caches on the route.

Have you confirmed it is still there? The last searcher is convinced it is gone.

Note to all the Puzzle People out there.  "Deductible Cache Contributions" (GHCRGP) is not included on the route, of course, but it IS in the area.  (That's a rather major HINT, by the way!)  In fact, you'll be within a few hundred yards of it while doing a couple of the other caches on the route.

Have you confirmed it is still there? The last searcher is convinced it is gone.

Huh? :rolleyes: The last log says they found it.

Note to all the Puzzle People out there.  "Deductible Cache Contributions" (GHCRGP) is not included on the route, of course, but it IS in the area.  (That's a rather major HINT, by the way!)  In fact, you'll be within a few hundred yards of it while doing a couple of the other caches on the route.

Hmmm - did the last searcher have a DNF and not log it?

I have the only logged DNF :rolleyes: on that cache - ah, what a claim to fame!