Overflowing Caches...

Alan2

This situation that I've run into many times leads to waterlogged containers. The best move I could have made would be to remove something to make some room so you can assure the lid stays on. But haven't done it because of "the rule" of Leave Something if you Take Something.

What do you think about modifying our standard policy actually encouraging removals with overloaded caches?

My philosophy is "always protect the integrity of the cache." Sometimes that means take a large item and leave a small one.

Some folks get hung up on the "trading up" thing, forgetting the primary focus should be on the cache, and compromise the whole thing as a result.

The best thing is, even if you can't trade kindly, make sure the cache is secure for the next person. That's what is most important.

One mans trash is another man(or childs) treasure!

But often its acutal trash.

I think if the lid won't close and the cache contents are jeopardized by leaving it the way it is, its the responsible thing to do to take extra to make room. If you feel real bad about it, a few Wheresgeorge bills or SBA dollars won't take up much room.

I did this very thing today. Found a cache where the lid didn't seal thanks to the fact that it was stuffed. Most of the contents were soaked and ruined. A few items were dry because they were in their own Ziplic. I packed out all the nasty, wet stuff which probably amounted to 9 or 10 items and only left 3 to replace them. Was it a fair trade? No, but I still think I did the right thing.