Night Caching And The Police

Was out with silverspoon doing a spot of night caching around the Bath area last night. Just finishing our last cache box common at about 1:45 AM, when we were stopped by the police as we were getting into the car.

Obviuosly with 2 blokes messing about in muddy clothes at 2.00 am we looked well suspect. After about 20mins of explaining, showing our gps's and paperwork they FINALLY believed we weren't robbers or poachers.

Just interested in other peoples run-ins/experiences with the peelers?? B)

My fondest memory of this type is when I had planted a new cache on a hill directly behind chequers. I took Pid up there the next day to show him the spot and got him to have a look for it. There is a big aerial perched on the peak surrounded by a wooden enclusure, and pid decided that it must be inside. He opened the gate and started looking around. Less than 2 minutes later I spotted a pair of very bright lights at the foot of the hill but assumed they must be on the road not far away, how wrong could I be, it was a 4 by 4 and it was going at about 60mph straight uphill towards us! The gate must have had an alarm or similar on it and now we looked like potential terrorists B) Pid suggested doing a very quick runner but there was no way I was running because we really would have looked dodgy, so we just stood there and watched as 2 armed policemen got out of the vehicle with there massive guns close at hand. We were asked for our details and they checked them via their computers. I explained what was goin g on and they told us it was private property. What really took the buscuit was that I then had to ask to get my lunchbox! :laughing: I think they saw the funny side in the end but it was an experience I will never forget :ph34r:

:laughing: Hmmmmm yes, Police and caching.....been there.

Bit of a blighter. I always try to be as stealth as possible, in and out of the location keeping low, only using torch when nesscesary and wearing predominantly dark clothing....nothing reflective. Usually works, but all depends on if you are on Private Property or with Simply Paul B)

guess we were in the wrong place at just the wrong time!

no torches on us and nice dark clothing!

myself - putting stuff in the boot - transformer sitting in the driving seat - i see what i thought was a taxi pull up next to us - manage to say probably quite a bit too loudly - 'thought that was the pigs then!'

voice from the front replies - 'it is!'

looking 6ft easterly - i see a nice black uniform! oops!

20 minutes of not very convincing explaining - i show them the print out for the cache and things get easier!

first time ive ever given a police officer my real name - and passed the pnc check! pheww!

very funny event - glad we didnt get nicked tho!

cheers to the ladies involved - got a nice pic of them with a tb! B)

02eff6c6-e493-4a58-879d-2788818fae4c.jpg

Edited by silverspoon

i'm ex police as some might already know. you'll find most won't mind the hobby if it doesn't cause them any hassle ie too many calls from curtain twitchers etc or people acting oddly at night. most have a good sense of humour aswell.

you get the attitude you give. if you get arsy then what do you expect in return? whilst acting normal gets a normal humourous reaction, hence the great photo.

wandering in the woods behind chequers!! i used to know several of the armed units up there. think ira/ al queda then think again about hiding anything near a site like that or night caching nearby. be sensible!!

you tend not to get too many little hitlers, but there are some. just don't label the rest of them due to one or two bad experiences. i've had to crew up with some people who made me cringe with their attitude and i let them know it.

that's my 2p worth

wandering in the woods behind chequers!! i used to know several of the armed units up there. think ira/ al queda then think again about hiding anything near a site like that or night caching nearby.

The longest surviving cache in England, View from Coombe Hill is within sight of Chequers. It's amazing it's been there coming on for 4 years without being muggled or "coppled" (new invented word, found by the cops)? I was rather nervous when doing it, thinking, how many people are watching me?

Dan and Pid were on the 'bald' hill opposite - Beacon Hill. It's off footpaths and maybe they missed the 'private' notices... I've been up there a couple of times but the only time I've ever seen the police about is when walking in the area (via footpaths, several years BC) with my girlfriend. Memorable for the exchange:

Armed policeman in Landrover and body-armour: "What are you doing?"

I looked at my rucksack, muddy walking boots and g/f and replied: "I'm out for a walk".

Perhaps you had to be there?

SP <_<

The longest surviving cache in England, View from Coombe Hill is within sight of Chequers.

When we visited that one, it was pretty dark.... that's one of the down-sides of caching at night, you don't get to see the interesting local features :-(

Mind you, given where it's hidden, I can't imagine any coppers finding it... I mean, its at least a 3 minute walk from the nearest road :-)

Paul

no, you're thinking traffic police. universally hated even by other police!!! they have nice shiney backsides from sitting down all the time. as regards the rest the don't often go out on foot as there aren't enough!

used to work the high wycombe area, marlow, stokenchurch bourneend etc all the way to just short of henley and at night there would be about ten of us. do the maths of how impossible it is to walk the beat and respond to the calls from well meaning idiots! :lol:

Cops are great.. As well as being geocachers we're twitchers. Few years ago we were with several hundred other twitchers in a smart Norfolk housing estate watching a rare bird - cars parked everywhere.. telescope tripods in the road, etc. Soon a jam sandwich arrives. "Oops", we thought, "Noddy has come to clear us away". Not a bit... cop leaps out, runs across.. "Can I see it?" ....peers through our scope... "Wow.. Norfolk tick", says he and runs back to his car and drives off!