Voluntary Donations

I previously posted this in the Motorway thread

In this thread Teasel mentioned these Maps, but the only problem is the annual cost (£250 per year). I was wondering if I could get 250 off us, who would be prepared to make a voluntary donation of £1 per year, to enable Teasel to obtain these maps, thus keeping to Marks promise of never charging for the use of G:UK, which I know Teasel intends to honour.

(note to the moderators, if this post is out of bounds please delete)

Dave

I have now had on generous offer of a donation, but we still need more to enable Teasel to obtain better maps. If any one is interested in making a Voluntary donation, please indicate so on the thread in the G:UK forums .

Dave

I'll pop into Nat West next week and open a Club/Charity Account (their description) next week, and post the details, so that any who wants to donate can just pop into any local NW and pay in over the counter. Unfortunately after numerous attempts, pay pal and I can't arrange a get together (account) so unfortunately that way is out. Opening the account will allow any extra funds to generate interest, towards the next years payments (even if its only a couple of pennies a year).

Dave

Big "deffo" from me - the UK flash maps are already, without a doubt, the best online cache map format I've seen.

MarcB

Thanks! But we've got so many caches now that we're approaching the limits of what flash can cope with (it's only designed to be a marketing tool after all! :lol: ). So, rather than break the country up into bits, I've been fiddling around with a new java-based GIS system, which I hope will be better able to grow with the sport.

I've got a beta test version ready. It's a bit clumsy in places (eg you have to keep remembering to switch back to the pointer tool and/or reselect the cache layer, or you don't get any links) but it's got some whizzy new features (like roads, and being able to create a G:UK search by drawing boxes around groups of caches). Anyway take a look and let me know what's broken!

That looks great.  :lol: It is, however, showing very old archived caches.

Now corrected, thanks! (I did say it was only a beta :D )

Sorry Teasel, I have no idea what a beta version is - being technologically challenged.

So will this solve the map problem, or are you still looking for donations to help improve them?

Edited by Firth of Forth

Sorry Teasel, I have no idea what a beta version is - being technologically challenged.

Rough translation:

A version of a product that's been through the very first trials in the privacy of your own back bedroom/friends and family 'here, what do you think, is this a runner?' (that's the Alpha version) and got to the stage where you think you have the makings of something that could be made to work. The underlying principle is documented well enough that no-one else could nick it and claim it's theirs. You know it has lots of faults, but you don't mind sharing them with others.

In fact the more people that look at it, at their own risk, and suggest changes, thereby acting as free 'development and research department' the better.

Sorry.... I've just described Windows XP.

Seriously though. I think the maps are a real runner. First impression is the counter-intuitive opening of the listing when you draw a box around an area. I would expect it to zoom into that box. Also when the listing opens there is no obvious way to get back to the map. It is in fact still open in the original window but as I had about 8 windows open at the time I didn't spot that.