Gps Clueless

Try On Your Wings

Take your unit to an open field with a clear view of the sky, lay it down face up and let it sit for about 15 minutes. You should get a lock then. I had the same problem when I first received my eTrex. Couldn't get a lock from in front of my house. Once I took it to a field and it got its full almanac of sats, it was good to go from there on in.

Also, it has to be held horizontal for best reception.

i think according to the manual, the intitial sat aquisition takes much longer than if youve used it before. I stood out in my yard with one foot in the air and tin foil on my right hand (I use the same position to pick up Fox <_<). I just stayed in the same spot for about 5 minutes or so, and I got 'em. Now, it aquires sats in a matter of seconds (providing no sky cover).

Orientation of the GPSr depends up on which type of antenna it has if it has a patch then the screen should be parellel to the ground. If it has a helix then the screen should be perpedicular to the ground. But I have dound it doesnt matter much. I have a helix and usually hold it at 45 degrees to parellel depending upon the mood and then some times perpedicular. Ol well some day.

cheers

Either that, or they mean to engrave your initials in big letters on the display screen with a blunt screwdriver... <_< (don't do that, please...) :huh:

:ph34r: That's funny!

I had to do the same thing with my Etrex after purchasing it. I stood out in front of my house for a half hour trying to get it to initialize with no luck (too many trees). So, I took it down the street to the local elementary school and it only took it about five minutes to link up.