New Garmin Legend

Dr Bombay and Lulu

"Read the manual and try out the features", is always a good idea--but that hurt our heads! LOL

We made sure that we...

...turned the unit on and let it acquire satellites

...put our names and contact info in our units

...tried marking a waypoint in the front yard (a tree), walked to the back yard, and tried to find the waypoint again to see what to expect

...changed the orientation to show North instead of the direction we were headed (just a personal prefence, try it both ways and decide for yourself).

...make sure you have fresh batteries and spares

...made sure it was set to WGS84 (it should be)

...checked out the distance to the preset waypoints (Garmin factory) using the GOTO feature and laughed

...learned how to add the coords and the names of a cache

...learned how to add the coords and the names of a cache with the GPSr set to "use with satellite off" to save batteries

...did I mention to make sure that you have spare batteries?

The very first thing, before you ever take it out of the house, is get a sheet of PDA screen protector and cover your screen. You won't regret it. It will keep the screen from gettin scratched and will help protect it from getting cracked when you drop it or bang it against something. Very cheap insurance.

The very first thing, before you ever take it out of the house, is get a sheet of PDA screen protector and cover your screen. You won't regret it. It will keep the screen from gettin scratched and will help protect it from getting cracked when you drop it or bang it against something. Very cheap insurance.

better yet - if you didn't already - buy the $15 case!

Got the batteries in, put it in a case, been outside to lock on to my location.....

I don't have to update the software or anything????

If not it Looks like I'm ready to go.

Check your version of software against the latest on Garmin's website. If you're behind you might want to upgrade. Newer versions allow for 1,000 waypoints instead of 500. This change was made a while ago, so it's likely you already have the extra waypoints, but if you don't you might want to upgrade.

for convenience purposes i would like to be able to upload a thousand waypoints,but i dont know if its possible. my etrex legend says it can upload 500. i keep 500 on it in case im out and about and just happen upon a quickie. if i understood the post correctly the updates on the garmin site would let me upload 1000 waypoints.

question:

what upgrade version is it and is the upgrade specifically for the etrx legend????

regards

archie <_<

All of that can be answered be going to the Garmin Website for downloads. There are links for the specific units and it has the update versions and dates for those units.

The legend is currently on Version 3.60 and that was released Dec 22 2003. It looks like any upgrade after 3.10 was minor changes. It was the upgrade from version 2.50 to 3.10 that made it possible for the legend to hold 1000 waypoints.

for convenience purposes i would like to be able to upload a thousand waypoints,but i dont know if its possible. my etrex legend says it can upload 500. i keep 500 on it in case im out and about and just happen upon a quickie. if i understood the post correctly the updates on the garmin site would let me upload 1000 waypoints.

If your GPS holds 500, I'd caution against loading 500.

If your GPS holds 1000, I'd caution against loading 1000.

If you've got to do a multi, or project a waypoint, etc., you won't have room to do so. Leave yourself 10 or so (+/- of course) and you'll be set.

<_<

I know I'm dreadging up an old topic here, but I didn't see the use in starting a new one for my question. I got my garmin legend today, did much of the stuff listed, downloaded gpseasy or whatever that first program is, and plugged the cord that came with into the gps, and the puter and....

nada. :ph34r:

am I missing something??

btw, the waypoints have downloaded into my computer just fine, just not over to the gps.

Thanks,

Octavia

Edited by octavia
I know I'm dreadging up an old topic here, but I didn't see the use in starting a new one for my question. I got my garmin legend today, did much of the stuff listed, downloaded gpseasy or whatever that first program is, and plugged the cord that came with into the gps, and the puter and....

nada. :ph34r:

am I missing something??

btw, the waypoints have downloaded into my computer just fine, just not over to the gps.

Thanks,

Octavia

Probably need to try a different comport or something like that.

nada. :lol:

am I missing something??

Thanks,

Octavia

go up a ways and read the postes in the links that I posted.

there is much info in both of them that should get you going.

make sure you have the legened set up correctly - you have to turn off the output I believe.

make sure the program is set to 9600 baud - Garmin has only one setting and you can't change it.

Got the batteries in, put it in a case, been outside to lock on to my location.....

Wow, it's just like Deja Vu, all over again!

I was in the same boat last week, right down to taking my Legend out of the box.

Just wait until you drive down a highway with your legend on. You'll be hooked on GPS !

It is sooooo cool ! You will see your position in relation to major highways around you. You can also toggle between your map display and a few other screens showing present heading and even speed! It it way cool!! Even Mrs. Chumley is impressed!!