That Other Site...

Pork King

When I first heard about geocaching, I came across 'the other site' first. There was something about it on the local news, and they gave the address. So, I checked it out, didn't see any near me (the closest one to me on their site is 35 miles) and I didn't have a gps to begin with so I lost intrest. A few months later I finally bought a gps more less for navigation, and while looking for maps to down load for it I came across GC.com. The rest is history. B)

I do have a logon there, but like the other listing sites it is mainly out of curiousity. Currently we aren't planning on cross listing caches to NC.com but you never know, someday we might out of curiousity to see how many locals actually check it. Skydiver's new site is different because it requests that you don't cross list. It will be interesting to see how it grows if more folks join. I think cross listing is cool, if you actively watch all the sites you post the cache to and are good about upkeeping the listings.

-J

I have an account there and have cross listed some of my caches there. The only logs those caches have received were from a handful of people cross posting their finds on my caches listed here and all were retroactive posts on caches they found through this site earlier.

A search of Navicache from my home coordinates turns up 99 caches within 100 miles while a search of this website turns up 3,462 caches within that area. My zipcocode search gives me 33 caches on Navicache, of which 30 are also listed here.

So that site is basically useless in my eyes.

A search of Navicache from my home coordinates turns up 99 caches within 100 miles while a search of this website turns up 3,462 caches within that area. My zipcocode search gives me 33 caches on Navicache, of which 30 are also listed here.

So that site is basically useless in my eyes.

A zipcode search for me over there turned up nothing, so I went out 50 miles and picked up 23 caches. The same search here gets me 1,374 caches.

Of the 23 there:

• 14 are cross posted to both sites and active
  • 1 is cross posted but disabled on gc.com
  • 1 is listed exclusively on NC. It was placed 2 yrs ago by a hider that appears to live hundreds of miles away. It's listed as easy terrain and difficulty, but it's never been found.
  • 1 is a virtual listed exclusively on NC. It's over 2yrs old, but so incredibly lame, it probably was declined on GC even under the lax 2002 virtual standards. It's never been logged on NC.
  • 2 are not listed or archived on gc.com apparently because of permission issues (guess that doesn't matter over there)
  • 1 is cross posted but archived on gc.com. On the GC page, the cache was reported missing summer of 2003, and verified gone and archived by owner in Sept 2003. Oddly enough, the NC page is still active, and someone claims a find there in 2004.
  • 3 are cross posted but container removed or verified gone by owner and archived. Still active on NC, but no logs since GC archive. They've all been gone at least 11 months.

So yea, while I think it's great to have an alternative or 2, the alternatives are useless for me as well.

I was wondering, how many geocaching.com members are also members of "that other geocaching website". If you are, what are your thoughts on posting hides you have on gc.com on the other site as well? Cool? Not cool? Whatever?

There are more than one 'other site', the biggest (but still pretty small is Navicache).

List your caches whereever you want, hopefully people nearby will find the listing.

I list my caches on both navi and gc.com, eventally. Its kinda a catch22 thing, if you don't list your caches on gc.com its not found very often, if at all. If you do then most people are too lazy, or don't care, or whatever, to bother checking out the other sites.

And you'll get the "I looked and they didn't have many listed nearby, so i didn't list mine either" explaintion a lot. LOL B)

It looks like most of us agree that cross posting is find, but pretty useless. I check other sites whenever I have a few minutes and feel like doing so, but have never found a cache close to any of the places I've lived. I cross post when I get inspired to do so, but am a fair bit behind right now. GC.com gets my postings first and the others get them when I get around to it.

I think cross posting is the only way we will ever build up the usefulness of any other sites. I think having multiple sites is quite important for the health of the sport. None of my cross listed caches have been logged on another site.

I think cross posting is the only way we will ever build up the usefulness of any other sites.

I disagree.

If you can find all the cache you want here, and log them all here, why bother with another site? The only way another site is ever going be useful is if it has something a lot of people want that isn't offered here. They need unique caches that aren't cross-posted. To stay Navicache specific, if my closest navicaches are indicative of the whole database, maybe they need to start cracking down on problem caches. I know a small site needs all the caches it can get, but if a large percentage of them are missing, abandoned, or of questionable access, then the site becomes even less useful to people. Who wants to waste time looking for caches that have been gone for a year?

Edited by Mopar

I used to cross-post my caches on navicache but I deleted them all since I only got double notificactions of a found it note and I have a local back-up of my caches anyway (in case gc.com has one day a major problem with data recovery).

Before I think about posting them again on NC.com (or Opencaching.com or whatever) the site needs to have a very good feature which I can't find on Geocaching.com but until then I couldn't care less about them.

I think cross posting is the only way we will ever build up the usefulness of any other sites.

The only way another site is ever going be useful is if it has something a lot of people want that isn't offered here.

Mopar is right--somewhat.

In the conversations I've had with others, who may very well not be happy with gc.com even, bring up a very good point as to why they aren't going to cross post--it's a pain. It's a pain have to keep up with two or more listing and they just ain't going to do it.

I think unless you uniquely post your cache to an alternative source, you won't get anyone going to the other site to find the data. Why would anyone bother if they can find it on one source?

Second, why blindly go to any other source in hopes of finding uniquely listed caches? Right now, the majority are cross listed. Again, why bother if most are listed on the primary source. How do you easily weed out the unique ones?

(I kind of think nv.com shot itself in the foot by allowing cross listing.)

No, the only way to increase traffic to an alternative source is to uniquely list caches there. You point potential visitors to it with a link, "See other caches of mine listed exclusively at {your host of choice}."

Unlike what some who post here would have you beleive, there are very good reasons to post on an alternative source. Gc.com gets to set the rules of what they will list. There is a difference between gc.com's standard and what is a viable cache. And that is perfectly okay.

Right now, I do have caches listed on nv.com. They are cross posted. It is a pain to keep up with them. I posted them to see if I could seed others into listing as well. No such luck. They will be "retired" soon.

If you can find all the cache you want here, and log them all here, why bother with another site? The only way another site is ever going be useful is if it has something a lot of people want that isn't offered here.

Like caches or features? B)

navi has a third party run stats ranking, has a working relationship that allows Buxley's to keep those dots updated, and even has a built in attributes system (limited). All features gc.com currently doesn't have....

seems you need enough caches to draw people over to look.

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the NC site a year ago were all the spelling errors. It looks like a site that is run by a teenager. Just now I checked again and it's still that way.

It may be a great site that functions well and is easy to use, but I'll never know because the appearance makes it seem otherwise. I'm not willing to waste my time listing caches on a site that seems so poorly run.

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the NC site a year ago were all the spelling errors. It looks like a site that is run by a teenager. Just now I checked again and it's still that way.

It may be a great site that functions well and is easy to use, but I'll never know because the appearance makes it seem otherwise. I'm not willing to waste my time listing caches on a site that seems so poorly run.

What's wrong with sites run by teenagers?

Hmmm....while there is crtainly a possibility of a spelling error, I would hardly say it is rampant as you imply. Care to point them out we would be happy to fix them.

Have a Happy Holiday!

I've visited the other site several times, but I'm not a member. I think competition is a good thing. It makes both sides strive to produce the best.

El Diablo

I used to think that, but N-caching isn't ANY better today than it was the first time that I logged on. GC.com has evolved considerably since I first found it in February of 2003.

BTW- Whatever happened to Open Caching and Swiss Perpetual caching??? I haven't bothered to check those out since their first week of operation...... :lol:

Interoperability, is the key to a healthy non monopolized existence between different listing sites.

But that will never happen.

Is monopolized a word?  :lol:

You can't be serious? :D

This is boxes of crap in the woods not public utilities. If I was the owner of this empire, I'd be peeing myself with laughter at the thought.

This is a business that has sprung from a hobby. Jolly good show to the people who were there to capitalize in the right place at the right time. We need gc.com as much as it needs us. No one stays at the top of the game in cyberspace unless they have MANY satisfied customers. Sometimes it really IS good to be the king. B)

Edited by Snoogans
Interoperability, is the key to a healthy non monopolized existence between different listing sites.

But that will never happen.

Is monopolized a word?  :lol:

You can't be serious? :D

This is boxes of crap in the woods not public utilities. If I was the owner of this empire, I'd be peeing myself with laughter at the thought.

This is a business that has sprung from a hobby. Jolly good show to the people who were there to capitalize in the right place at the right time. We need gc.com as much as it needs us. No one stays at the top of the game in cyberspace unless they have MANY satisfied customers. Sometimes it really IS good to be the king. B)

Come over here so I can call you a weenie without getting my member moderated :D

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the NC site a year ago were all the spelling errors.  It looks like a site that is run by a teenager.  Just now I checked again and it's still that way.

It may be a great site that functions well and is easy to use, but I'll never know because the appearance makes it seem otherwise.  I'm not willing to waste my time listing caches on a site that seems so poorly run.

Pssst ... teenagers are icky. Plus, they don't spell very well.

I'm kidding, please don't TP my house. :lol:

in PRINCIPLE i'm in favor of competiton.

in PRACTICE i don't support it.

if i were going to use multiple sites (and that's a big if) i'd be more likely to post each cache on one site only. it's too much of a bother to maintain pages in two places for the same cache.

i also want to return good value to the site that lists the cache. right now the only reason i might want to list one anywhere but here would be to make a cache outside of the gc.com guidelines; perhaps a cache on property that requires a trail pass.

i prefer to hunt caches from a listing service that's more stringent because i feel i'm less likely here than anywhere else to be on the wrong side of a tersspassing charge looking for a container that's not there.

I've visited the other site several times, but I'm not a member. I think competition is a good thing. It makes both sides strive to produce the best.

El Diablo

I've been there as well, but IMHO they offer little in the way of features. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are "competition" :lol: lol. But an option that's out there.

Recently I have been thinking about ONLY listing "there". I love Buxley's, and that is the only way for me to get my future hides listed there, so maybe I'll go exclusive. I have used GC more in the past, but its becoming a bit selective. Its the capitalist way, I understand, but the Big Frog is watching, and its a little creepy. Its like Sauron with a big Frog eye instead. What if GC packs up, goes under, crashes permanetlly? Where you going to get your fix?

I think something another site provides that is not given here is potential.

Navicache's policies provide the potential for Buxley's to be one of the best geocaching-accessory websites. The potential for a statistics site for competitive geocachers. The potential for a great deal of things that will never be seen here because the only potential this place has shown in the last 3 months is the potential to shut down the free maps (here and at other sites) and the potential to correct semantics in our event cache logs and the potential to bypass the hider of a cache while attempting to convince a land owner to remove a geocache!

Navicache's policies provide the potential for Buxley's to be one of the best geocaching-accessory websites. The potential for a statistics site for competitive geocachers. The potential for a great deal of things that will never be seen here because the only potential this place has shown in the last 3 months is the potential to shut down the free maps (here and at other sites) and the potential to correct semantics in our event cache logs and the potential to bypass the hider of a cache while attempting to convince a land owner to remove a geocache!

Sound like you have found a new home. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

:lol:

Navicache's policies provide the potential for Buxley's to be one of the best geocaching-accessory websites.  The potential for a statistics site for competitive geocachers.  The potential for a great deal of things that will never be seen here because the only potential this place has shown in the last 3 months is the potential to shut down the free maps (here and at other sites) and the potential to correct semantics in our event cache logs and the potential to bypass the hider of a cache while attempting to convince a land owner to remove a geocache!

That other site deserves you way more than we do ... :lol:

The other side? Hmm.

There was a BBS (remember those) in Portland Oregon in the mid 1980's run by a kid named John. His BBS was all on the up-and-up, until you selected the menu option for "The Other Side". Then his dad found out about "The Other Side" and poor John had to go legitimate.

Yeh, I visited it. Yeh, more than once. It was a bit on the risqué side, and a lot of fun.

How many maps do you really need ??,

These links all came from one of my cache pages. I looked at Buxley's once or twice, but don't really see what all the big deal is about it, and there's a whole thread for that discussion, so no need to discuss is further here. But seriously! There are plenty of maps right there. One to show you where all the caches are, including or excluding the ones you've found, the ones archived, the ones you don't want to look for. Maps to show you topography, aerial views, driving directions. One even gives you demographics for pete's sake. That should be enough to satisfy anyone. I guess Buxley's is for the competitive type for whom it is all about the numbers. Well, I say go take a hike. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I also feel that NC is a place for denied cachers to go and post caches that were against guidelines, and even against land managers policies. NC doesn't seem to care if caching gets a black eye because of poorly placed or planned caches. They'll post anything. I've visited it once or twice, and found nothing I there that I need, so I did not sign on.

One. Maybe two. But they have to be the one or two that I (and obviously many others) like.

I like apple pie.

Navicache says "If I can learn how to make apple pie for you, I will. If not, then someone else can use my kitchen to make your apple pie."

GC.com says "Keep your nose out of my kitchen. I'm making pumpkin pie. Maybe when that's done I will look into apple pie recipes. But whether or not that happens is up to me and if you can't be happy without apple pie, you can go starve in the living room or stare at the blank walls and bare cupboards in someone else's kitchen. Oh look, the gingerbread is done...here you go!" (That's if they bothered to come out of the kitchen in the first place)

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the NC site a year ago were all the spelling errors.  It looks like a site that is run by a teenager.  Just now I checked again and it's still that way.

It may be a great site that functions well and is easy to use, but I'll never know because the appearance makes it seem otherwise.  I'm not willing to waste my time listing caches on a site that seems so poorly run.

Pssst ... teenagers are icky. Plus, they don't spell very well.

I'm kidding, please don't TP my house. :lol:

I see you dropped a line on the Black Hills Geocaching. Do you think it's icky? :lol:

I was wondering, how many geocaching.com members are also members of "that other geocaching website". If you are, what are your thoughts on posting hides you have on gc.com on the other site as well? Cool? Not cool? Whatever?

I'm a member of Naviache as well as GC.com. I'm aslo a member of GPSgames.org

Most of my caches are listed here on GC.com 4 are listed on Navicache. One is listed on both. In general I don't cross list, and don't think people really should cross list.

Locally there are about 8 caches on Navicache that are not on GC.com. There are another 4 that are cross listed on boht sites. Give or take. That may change in the near future.

Navicache has the most annoying web design and counter-intuitive interface ever. It simply cannot compete at the same level as GC because it not only falls short of excellence--it falls short of mediocrity. The only thing NC seems to have going for itself is its very overhyped "rebel" and "underdog" mistique (whatever that is)... which only carries you so far. It is not, and never will be, a contender, because it has nothing substantial to offer that can't be found here--better, faster, clearer, cleaner, and more user friendly. And about Buxleys? Semi-helpful, but terribly outdated.