Paint Cans?

Team Perrito Blanco

Tie a churchkey to the handle and everyone will have a way to open it. But, as others have noted, it is likely not to get closed properly. And wouldn't you know, that will be just before a big rain. B)

do you know what is on the other end of a 'church key'?

Ah... me thinks that might not be a good idea!

:laughing:

unless yer trying to make a sieve -

:ph34r:

Edited by CompuCash

There is a paint can cache around here that hangs upside down from a tree. The lid is on the bottom, so folks tend to make sure it is cloded tight before leaving. To open, there is a churchkey tied to the handle. I'm not sure how it would sand up to repeated onenings and closings, tho. Painting/camo'ing the can inhibits rust.

I've been thinking about trying one of these out:

dutchboy_paint_315x267.jpg

From the webpage:

It's the biggest advance in paint since the portable sprayer. Yet it was so obvious. Metal cans are impossible to use without making a mess, so Dutch Boy took a cue from laundry detergent. The 1-gallon plastic Twist & Pour, which arrived in stores in June, includes a similar twist-off lid and a no-drip spout. Sherwin Williams has spent millions converting Dutch Boy to the new container, with stores getting special shakers. It adds a couple of bucks to a gallon of paint.

I think they've got potential...provided they're watertight.

Bret

do you know what is on the other end of a 'church key'?

Ah... me thinks that might not be a good idea!

:ph34r:

unless yer trying to make a sieve -

B)

Ooops. Pointy end bad! You just know someone is going to use that end instead of the bottle opener end. :laughing:

Ok. Spend 25 or 50 cents and buy a paint can opener. It's one long piece of round wire...think wire coat hanger, but thicker. Bent into a triangle on the top for leverage and the business end is smashed flat AND NOT POINTY!

you can get 2 qt jars that work great at the Dollar store -

lots of other plastic containter there that work well too - I have hidden several of the jars and people seem to have an easy time closing them -- as opposed to some of the plastic (flat-lidded) variety that often don't get closed well.

CC

I don't think it's a terrible idea. New paint cans are plastic and don't rust. It's a good size. And when properly closed it's probably water-tight.

Getting it open would be the finders' problem. Add a half-star to the difficulty rating, or mention in the description that they need to bring a tool, or stick an old screwdriver in the ground next to the can.

People not closing it completely would be the main obstacle. And it would end up being your problem. Soaked logbook, missing lid, etc. You'd have to be very dilligent about mantainence.

Best Wishes,

Bob

A local cacher just recently started using small paint cans (do a keyword search at gc.com on Bento - he also has pictures). I've found two of them and I must admit they make decent caches. He does advise people to bring a tool to open the cache.

Of course that doesn't do any good if you don't read every cache page before you go out caching like people that use PQs.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd close it by beating the lid down with a rock. Eventually even if closed a regular paint can would be beat to snot and not too functional.

I was thinking (or lack thereof) that I would use my head. :lol: Then again, that's pretty darn close to a rock, and the end result for the can would probably be the same. :rolleyes: