Graveyard Caches

kc8hnz

There's a series of 20 odd caches in my hometown by Hammerjane and Wildlife_Magnet done very tastefully with the nearly-forgotten cemetaries of Cherokee County.  Lots of fun, and all the caches are placed just outside of the cemetary grounds. Great job by them, I think.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them!

I love cemetery caches. I find them very interesting especially those placed in or around the older cemeteries. They are very popular in AL, GA, and TN. I've searched for a lot of cemetery caches and have yet to run across one that was disrespectful in any way.

Uh, oh!  Might want to Lookie here! before going any further!

I think that it would be a good idea if one of the local geocachers were to contact the columnist and the others mentioned and do some PR

The article mentioned can now be found

here.

Local geocachers sent several letters to the reporter. This lead to another reporter getting interested in the story. She contacted one of our local cachers who will now be taking her out caching. Hopefully it will lead to some postive PR.

Oh and for the record: The caches weren't buried. I believe they were in trees etc.

They are very cool, especially at night. I did one in Paris, up on a hill in a small graveyard that was not even on any tourist maps. The only reason I found it was that it had a cache hidden behind some ivy on the perimeter wall. The stones were from the 1700s and the entire experience was fantastic. The only down side was that about three meters from the cache there was a 1 ft diameter concrete container with some dust inside, and it seemed to have been disturbed..perhaps by another cache seeker. Never did find out what it was .. kind of grey in color, with some small pieces of white material.

:(

I will be interviewed tomorrow in reference to this article. I will be taking this reporter to 2 cemetary caches. The first is a multi/micro and the second a traditional. I am hoping that she sees that geocachers are not the vandals described in this article by Ms Overstreet.

I myself have 3 caches in or near a cemetary. One was found by a relative of one of the occupants and she thanked me for placing the cache and that she is happy to know that her great great great grandmother has visitors on a regular basis.

Another one I was granted permission by the Bonniebrook Historical Society who cares for the cemetary. They were quite happy to have visitors on a regular basis.

Jeepers

MOGEO SO MO Rep

Ozark Mountain Geocachers

just thought I would chime in. I recently have had a loss. our son was still born just a few months ago. We had to place his body in a cemetery up in the hills. Even after going through such an event I still see nothing wrong with caches being placed at a Cemetery. I have not placed any myself, but would like to do so if the right situation presents itself and it could be done respectfully.

We went to Branson, Missouri over Thanksgiving and found an article in the November 28 issue of the Springfield News Leader “Geocachers should know better than to tread on burial grounds” Now I thought this was going to be about not tromping all over a NATIVE AMERICAN burial ground, but it was about a geomuggle’s irritation over two cachers in a cemetery where several of her family members are buried. Now I understand that is woman was upset, but the article came off sounding like all Cachers are just out looking to defile a cemetery. She mentioned that she was apauled to see the Springfield National Cemetery (a virtual cache if I am not mistaken) was on the list of caches in the area. I went to the Springfield National Cemetery and was in tearful awe of the place. I think most historic cemeteries have that effect to those of us who look for these caches

MAN! I just love cemetary caches, virtual, traditional - any kind.

The places are peaceful, quiet, loaded with interesting & historical information . . . try caching in Charleston SC (for example) & you will see the very history of this country and some of its most famous (or infamous) displayed before your eyes. WHY would anyone want to find fault with this great source of joy & adventure?

At Eccl 9:6-7 the Creator plainly states that the dead know nothing, are concience of nothing, have no thoughts . . . so, we have only to concern ourselves with respect for the living and we do this no matter where we hunt caches. So, give me the cemetery/graveyard/burial site caches - they are great!

After doing a lot of cemetary caches over the past few weeks (heck, it seams like almost every other one is) I've come to the conclution that there are two main types of cemetary caches. First type is bring you to a historical/intresting cemetary and gives you some back ground info on the area and is well done and respectful. The other type, is a placed just for the sack of placing it and has no connection to the cemetary other then just being there. This type I find disprespectful and I don't care for. This is a example of the first kind GCKWNV and here is an example of the second kind GCM0CT. The second one dosn't even make mention that it is place in a cemetary, let alone offer any historic info.