Running Into Other Geocachers

rbro

We just ran into some other geocachers on the trail. How common is that? We figured they were muggles, but my daughter kept saying she thought they were looking at a GPS receiver and we told her she must be seeing things. Sure enough she was right! He even had the same GPSr as mine! Pretty cool........... B)

Earlier this year while visiting my hometown, I took my brother and his wife to help me find a cache. We couldn't find it, and the next day I returned to the site with my dad. The cache is hidden outside an unused theatre, and there was really no reason for anyone to be hanging out around there. Well, me and Dad walk up to find a man and a woman combing the area, and we knew they just had to be geocachers (we were right). While we helped in the search, two more women showed up...more cachers! That's the only time it's ever happened to me, and it made for a fun story to tell.

Oh and yes, we found the cache!

Paula B)

Yes, I had a series of them one day when several new caches appeared in the area. Met the same people two or three times (and got my one career FTF). It's only happened to me one other time, though (as a matter of fact, yesterday).

There have been several times I was sure I had to be facing another cacher -- someone in a slightly curious place, sometimes with a GPS unit. It's always odd when you ask and they say, "ummm...no."

On the other hand, perhaps they were just avoiding my company B)

Funny you should ask! We are still new at this, but met our first fellow cashers yesterday morning! They were near an area that my GPSr was pointing to(and only other people in an empty park!) and looking around at all manner of things. I told my hubby "I'll betcha they are cachers" and sure enough we were right! We even helped them find the next one they were looking for-one we had both had trouble getting but I had gotten a better clue. It was a great experience-I hope they are all like that! :laughing:

Funny thing-a few hours later, on another cache, which was a hike on a little used trail 100 yards from the main "site", just as we got to the cache these people are coming up behind us. My hubby yells out "you guys geocaching?" and they replied with a loud "HUH???" As they got closer in the woods we could see they had a dog and were just walking, but I'd have never guessed to come across muggles at this place!! :ph34r:

What's funny, is watching the two on the first one I mentioned, as we walked the 500ft from car to cache, I thought to myself "is that what I look like searching for a cache? Like I've lost my keys or maybe I'm the local fence inspector??" B)

I think it is more comon with new caches. Recently several new caches were posted and I headed out for the possibility of a FTF. When I got close to the site, I looked for a place to park and there were already two other cars parked in the same location. Given the time of day and the location of the parked cars I had a feeling that the cache site must be very crowded and decided to move on to the next new cache. Sure enough, three people posted finds that night, and they were all at the cache at the same time - - but they all arrived separately. Since I did not get the FTF on my next cache, I do regret missing the opportunity to meet some fellow cachers.

As most of my caching is done mid-week, I don't meet that many cachers on the "job" - but it's not unfrequent. On one trip I took a couple of years ago one cache managed to gather 11 of us together - now that was a crowed trail! And, no, it wasn't a new cache. Always fun to meet others, sometimes it gives you an excuse to hide a cache, like this one.

I was on the way to a new cache Sat. am and ran into two cachers at a new cache of mine that was listed 3 days ago. THen later the same day I ran into three cachers at another cache. I even ran into into another cacher at 2AM tyring for a FTF, He thought I was asecurity guard because of all the antennas on my truck (4), but he knew better when I ran of the road after seeing him. :lol:

It seems we run into cachers quite often, but there are a lot of cachers in this area.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Best time and place is at new cache sites. Almost an event at some of them! We take advantage by asking questions about GSPr units, software used, suggestions and tips for other caches to try or help for those DNF's. As new cachers, we need all the tips we can get.

We have a major 'event' going on locally that we had to hit both this past Sat and Sunday as so many new ones were popping up in the same general location. We ran into cachers on both days. Great fun. :lol: