Wsga Campout 2005

TotemLake

These are the WSGA proposed camp locations for 2005.

Our attempt is to focus on a regional area and rotate through them each year so everybody can have a chance to showcase their local caches. Previous events not withstanding, the committee went with locations familiar to them just to get things kicked off.

Other nominations are welcomed and the Cache-cadians are especially encouraged to send in their nominations to help flesh out the list. Please send the nominations with links but without images to 'wsgaps at yahoogroups dot com' or add their recommendations to this thread. I'll be monitoring both for inclusion.

We'd like to try to have 3 top sites picked by the middle of December so we are ready to make reservations by the 1st of January for an August timeframe. We also want to hear which of the first three weekends in August you would like to see this event happen.

I will try to include an image for each new recommendation that receives 3 votes or more to that nomination. If you can provide a JPEG map with site name and coordinates including caches surrounding the area, that will make life much easier. Images can be sent directly to 'totemlake at comcast dot net' for inclusion on my website.

I will do my best to compile the votes and keep them updated every couple of days.

Each site is marked with coordinates in dd mm.ddd.

Currently listed in no particular order of preference at this location:

State Parks Sequim Bay and Fort Flagler

State Parks Dosewallips, Scenic Bay, Belfair, Lake Cushman

State Park Lake Easton

State Park Manchester

Edited by TotemLake

Nothing very important ever happens in Kitsap County, so maybe Illahee State Park would not be a good place to have your event, even though you can access it by land and sea. BTW, it does have camping area, covered picnic areas, a play area for the kids, a few trails and dogs are welcome too. Oh yah one more thing, it already has a Ranger Approved geocache("Illahee State Park Tour"). Pictures for this park are on the cache page.

Edited by Fledermaus

Hey, TL,

If I click on State Park Manchester, and at the bottom of the page on Manchester SP, the link brings me to Lake Easton instead...

Of the 4 possibilities, the Dosewallips option is the least appealing to me - it's close to some of the best caches I have done, but most of them require hikes that might not be family-compatible. The other three options sound very good to me, with a preference to Lake Easton. CG's idea of a site on the West Side of the peninsula is also good.

Don't suppose you want to come all the way over to the WEST side of the Peninsula, do you?!

Egads! After all the rain we got at last years campout why would we want to go to the wet side of the peninsula! <_<

Shouldn't the WSGA campout be in a more central location than the Kitsap/Olympic Peninsula?

Squilchuck sounds nice or what about one of the Cle Elum group sites.

Of course, on the other hand, half the group last year came from the Olympic/Kitsap Peninsula so if that's where the interest is maybe it should be there...

Edited by Stump
Hey, TL,

If I click on State Park Manchester, and at the bottom of the page on Manchester SP, the link brings me to Lake Easton instead...

Of the 4 possibilities, the Dosewallips option is the least appealing to me - it's close to some of the best caches I have done, but most of them require hikes that might not be family-compatible. The other three options sound very good to me, with a preference to Lake Easton. CG's idea of a site on the West Side of the peninsula is also good.

I don't see that happening Bugel. I clicked on all the links here and on the page and it takes me to the appropriate place. Perhaps I'm missing something or your temporary files need to be emptied.

Of the other suggestions posted here, as soon as I get some time from the usual demands, I'll get new maps posted. I'll also include a list of the other parks that had or suggested they had group camp sites including the west side of the peninsula and the east side of the mountains.

I second the Navigatorz' suggestion of Squilchuck. It is a neat group camp only park with a bunch of nice forested campsites and a 2 story lodge with kitchen for big meal prep and hanging out in the extremely unlikely event of nasty weather. a nice mix of forest and fields, and like Nav said, several nearby caches. 18 caches within 5 miles of the park, Only 2 of those are micros!

Ok, I did find an error in a link on this page where clicking on Lake Easton took me to Dosewallips. So these are the fixed links here.

State Park Lake Easton

State Park Manchester

If I got to State Manchester Park, and then click on Manchester SP under the map, it still brings me to Lake Easton :lol:

I guess someone really wants us to go there.

I not overly excited about a group camp setup, unless we find one where trailers are permitted. I enjoy camping, but the closest to tenting I get is in my Tent Trailer. I think we should just pick a specific section of the campground we choose and have as many people try to get sites there as possible.

Ok, I did find an error in a link on this page where clicking on Lake Easton took me to Dosewallips. So these are the fixed links here.

State Park Lake Easton

State Park Manchester

If I got to State Manchester Park, and then click on Manchester SP under the map, it still brings me to Lake Easton :lol:

I guess someone really wants us to go there.

:lol: That's where the link is bad. Ok. I'll fix it. Thanks!

I not overly excited about a group camp setup, unless we find one where trailers are permitted. I enjoy camping, but the closest to tenting I get is in my Tent Trailer. I think we should just pick a specific section of the campground we choose and have as many people try to get sites there as possible.

Manchester has a nice group camp area with hook-ups (I think the park site says 12) and a large grassy area for tents. And there are a lot of caches nearby. And I wouldn't have any excuse for not going since it's only about 5 miles from home. :lol:

Dosewallips also has a big open field group camp area, but I don't remember if it has any hook-ups. The main drawback of this one is a shortage of easy caches nearby. The tougher caches nearby are awesome though! :lol:

One thing to consider for anything on the Peninsula side is the work on the Hood Canal Bridge. Depending on when the campout is (I don't remember right off the top of my head), there may be extensive construction delay if this is on someones travel route.

It's on my route to almost everywhere. However, this might be an issue for the 2007 campout, not for the 2005 one.

Of the 4 possibilities, the Dosewallips option is the least appealing to me - it's close to some of the best caches I have done, but most of them require hikes that might not be family-compatible.

Heh... and I liked it b/c it's close to some fabulous hikes!

At the 2004 campout, we had about a dozen kids of elementary school age. I like those hikes too, but I don't think they would.

As Belleterre said, the "group" area at Manchester has excellent facilities for RV hookups as well as tents. I've not seen many group areas that accommodate both as well as Manchester does. Would certainly afford much more of a "family reunion" type of atmosphere. I think it would encourage a large group gathering as opposed to a bunch of smaller groups.

At the 2004 campout, we had about a dozen kids of elementary school age. I like those hikes too, but I don't think they would.

Two of them would. :lol:

But that's probably a good point about the kids. And the old men who show up. :lol:

As far as the group camping I would be concerned that if we're planning for August the sites will fill up and we'd be all over the park.

But that's probably a good point about the kids. And the old men who show up. :lol:

As far as the group camping I would be concerned that if we're planning for August the sites will fill up and we'd be all over the park.

That's why I wanted to get this decision over quickly so we can reserve a group site if it accomodates all that we like, or give a chance for everybody to agree upon a general location in the park to try to land in. Reservations start after January 1 with exception to Camp Cushman. They'll take reservations now.

The problem we also face is not everybody can take off pre-July 4th. August seemed like the all around best month to pick on, and only the first 3 weeks of it.

A few of mine would be up for something Mt. Townsend-ish, as well. Maybe by that time, all four.

I'll refrain from making old-men comments at this point in time.

-=-

michelle

As Belleterre said, the "group" area at Manchester has excellent facilities for RV hookups as well as tents. I've not seen many group areas that accommodate both as well as Manchester does. Would certainly afford much more of a "family reunion" type of atmosphere. I think it would encourage a large group gathering as opposed to a bunch of smaller groups.

I would love that!!!!!

Sounds just about perfect.

The Squilchuck State Park in Wenatchee is a group camp only so you can reserve the whole thing. it has individual sites as well as larger ones so privacy can be attained while group camping. RV's seem to work well there also. It is in the the foothills of the Cascades. Has hiking trails and no cache in the park but the ranger is willing for one to be put in as long as he preapproves the location. The only people who can even get in to the park are group campers or prearranged visits by the ranger unless you walk in as the gate is generally closed except when a group is camping there. It is a beautiful park and will probably accomodate all. When I talked to the ranger earlier this year the prices seem very affordable. I don't think you could find any place else for as good as a deal.

The Squilchuck State Park in Wenatchee is a group camp only so you can reserve the whole thing. it has individual sites as well as larger ones so privacy can be attained while group camping. RV's seem to work well there also. It is in the the foothills of the Cascades. Has hiking trails and no cache in the park but the ranger is willing for one to be put in as long as he preapproves the location. The only people who can even get in to the park are group campers or prearranged visits by the ranger unless you walk in as the gate is generally closed except when a group is camping there. It is a beautiful park and will probably accomodate all. When I talked to the ranger earlier this year the prices seem very affordable. I don't think you could find any place else for as good as a deal.

that's interesting. I still need to do Wenatchee. Done zip caches over there. Even leavenworth.

Another dry side campground would be 8 Mile in Icicle Canyon. Good sized group camp with parking for RVs (sorry, no hook-ups). National Forest campground, so no daily fee. I beleive it's 89 dollars for a night (this may have changed). Several caches in the canyon, on the ridge above (for those who need a HIKE), and quite a selection nearby - micros, trad, white-water, etc.

I'd vote for anything on the east side, Leavenworth-Wenatchee area. The area by Lion Rock at 6,000 ft on Table Mnt has unlimited camping areas, incredible scenery, miles of hiking trails, several caches nearby with dozens more towards Mission Ridge or Ellensburg. Paved road almost to the top, so no problem for RV's. They have a star party up there usually in July with 1,000 plus people, so that 4-5 day period would want to be avoided, but August would be fine. Weather is usually excellent in August and at 6,000 ft much cooler than the lower areas of E.WA. Much more primitive than staying in a park, but it's free and you won't find a better drive to camping area with those kind of views anywhere in the state that I know of.

I'd vote for anything on the east side, Leavenworth-Wenatchee area. The area by Lion Rock at 6,000 ft on Table Mnt has unlimited camping areas, incredible scenery, miles of hiking trails, several caches nearby with dozens more towards Mission Ridge or Ellensburg. Paved road almost to the top, so no problem for RV's. They have a star party up there usually in July with 1,000 plus people, so that 4-5 day period would want to be avoided, but August would be fine. Weather is usually excellent in August and at 6,000 ft much cooler than the lower areas of E.WA. Much more primitive than staying in a park, but it's free and you won't find a better drive to camping area with those kind of views anywhere in the state that I know of.

Sounds like a great location to me!

The area by Lion Rock at 6,000 ft on Table Mnt has unlimited camping areas, incredible scenery, miles of hiking trails, several caches nearby with dozens more towards Mission Ridge or Ellensburg. Paved road almost to the top, so no problem for RV's.

Great area and near by Tronsen Ridge cache is one of the best view caches I have ever been to. You need to be self sufficient when it comes to water at that campsite. There is NO water. I don't even think there are any outhouses so that is another consideration. There are a few actual camp sites but meadow camping is allowed if you get permission from the rangers of the area. I think it is the fish and game people that take care of that area.

The Lion Rock site does have a free campground right before the last hill to the top on the left. Trying to think of the name....there are 4-6 tables with firepits and a large communal firepit and sitting area. There is water and a spring, but I'm not sure if it's good drinking water in August. The FS installed a new fancy vault toilet across the road last year, so there is a nice one now. The best camping spots IMO are about 1/4 mile up the road on top with 100 mile views. There's a huge meadow nearby that has a island of trees in the middle that offers beautiful camping too. This is the popular spot for the horse groups and star parties. I did a search and see they are having the big star party the first weekend in August. Their permit only allows a max of 700, so if we don't go over that we should be fine.....:( Here's a link that shows a aerial shot of the meadow camping. Star Party I've camped up there several times after the star party and was amazed at how little damage they do to the meadow and how well they clean up. Other than that busy week all the area sees little camping pressure.

Lion Rock is a truly spectacular camping experience. I've camped up there for many of the Star Parties and also by myself when I was the only camper on the mountain. The elevation at the rock is 6350' and you can stand on it and have a 270-degree wraparound view of the valley a mile below you. Watching the sunset from the Rock is a sublime experience and the stars at night have to be seen to be believed. You can reach it in a passenger car, and all but the last 3 miles are paved. The last time I camped alone there I was treated to a spectacular display of the Aurora Borealis (even got a pic of it and posted it to my log on the cache page.). Yes, there is a cache there, of course!

Lion Rock is a truly spectacular camping experience. I've camped up there for many of the Star Parties and also by myself when I was the only camper on the mountain. The elevation at the rock is 6350' and you can stand on it and have a 270-degree wraparound view of the valley a mile below you. Watching the sunset from the Rock is a sublime experience and the stars at night have to be seen to be believed. You can reach it in a passenger car, and all but the last 3 miles are paved. The last time I camped alone there I was treated to a spectacular display of the Aurora Borealis (even got a pic of it and posted it to my log on the cache page.). Yes, there is a cache there, of course!

I think I really like this place. Nobody has mentioned "facilities", though. Is it suitable for a family-style campout?

BTW, following K7's link I went to the cache page, and clicked on geocaching.com maps. the cache isn't shown. Other caches in the area are...

I think I really like this place. Nobody has mentioned "facilities", though. Is it suitable for a family-style campout?

The only "facilities" are a Forrest Service vault toilet......outhouse. It's a nice one. The concrete simulated wood framed kind that the FS is placing in many outdoor sites. Other than that it's a primitive area where you can pretty much camp and do what ever you like. As far as a "family style camp-out" I guess it depends on what type of camping you like. The nearest McD's and malls are in Ellensburg about 20 miles away, so the city life is not readily available without a decent drive. If you enjoy mountain scenery to die for, miles and miles of open alpine meadows, many miles of easy hiking trails, lots of wildlife, no campers 20 ft. away then this is an excellent area. I usually see at least one herd of elk and many deer when I camp there. The wildflowers would be done, but mid June-mid July is incredible. The only walk to cache is Lion Rock from the top, but there are dozens in E-Burg and several in the small mining town of Liberty about 5 miles away. More up and down 97 and to the east. I wanted to place several up there this Fall, but didn't make it over, so they will have to wait till next Spring. Just a thought, there is a Forrest Service cabin for rent about 3 miles NW of the top of Table Mtn. It's a large A-frame with a huge deck and sits way back in the woods at about 6,000 ft. Unfortunately it doesn't have a good view from the cabin, but nearby camping spots along the ridge have incredible views. That might be a option for the less than camping inclined and the ones that don't want to rough it. It rents for about $40 a night and sleeps I think 10. There are some fantastic camping spots within walking distance of the cabin, so that area might be worth a look.

The votes were pretty fuzzy, but I think I got the gist of it. I'm posting only those that get three or more:

Squilchuk = 4

Manchester = 3

Lion Rock = 3

I'll try to get maps up soon with coordinates and cache density.

I can only say those that don't put a voice in don't have room to complain on the decision. Let's show an interest here and try to make this a successful event.

By the way the coordinates for Squilchuck State Park is

N47 18.540 W120 22.380

I think your coordinates are off. When I do a search for Squilchuck on my Delorme map, it puts me at an area called Squilchuck State Park at coordinates N47° 18.858' W120° 22.285'. Can you confirm?

Having been to both Lion Rock and Squilchuck numerous times I will try to give you points to think about in considering them.

Lion Rock has the view and lots of room. One cache very close and a few within driving range. (Haney Meadows and Tronsen Ridge). There are also caches on the way up depending on which way you come. One on the paved road coming up from E-burg. Two just beyond the town of Liberty. That way is a good dirt road that does get bumpy but we have taken our cars up that way. There are of course many caches in E-burg and Cle Elum. One bathroom facility. Camping area and big meadow. Often see Elk up in that area. The only time I have seen other big groups there is at the star party but you would need to check it out because they told me they like to know when big groups come in to camp in the meadow. I know there is no charge for regular camping up there but the star party has to pay big bucks for use of it for the meadow. So that again is something that would need to be checked out.

Squilchuck State Park has a fee but it is quite reasonable. One way they keep the costs down is that the people who rent it for the weekend also have the duty of cleaning the restrooms before they leave. Beings it is a State Park you also have a $5.00 fee for the ones who only come in for the day and do not camp (Providing they don't have a pass). Last year when I was talking to the ranger he mentioned that he was hoping to get volunteer work groups to come in and do work to the campground to make it better so if you were to arrange a work crew to do some camp maintenance they might be willing to barter either the fee or day passes. The ranger is very friendly and willing to let us put a cache in the camp ground on his approval of the placement. If you wish I can contact him and get particulars. This camp does not have the views and is not up high but is in a beautiful location and has drinking water available. My understanding is if we used the lodge we would have to pay extra to do so. There are hiking trails all around. Road to is paved and you are within a 15 minutes of many caches, you can chose to from mountain area forest caches to downtown caches.

So is the camping emphesis on camping and enjoying the nature out away from everything. Or on camping and caching, or on spreading a good geocaching name by doing more good things for the environment. Not having attended a campout yet I don't know your focus. Partytime or PARTYTIME? :blink:

Edit - ooops.

Edited by Patudles
Not having attended a campout yet I don't know your focus. Partytime or PARTYTIME? :cry:

Edit - ooops.

Well, we've only had one so far and the weather and small attendence kinda messed up any plans to PARTY! B)

I'm not sure our the cachers in our area want a Champoeg type event... but I am not opposed to that either.

There needs to be something for everyone, Adults, Kids, Adults that think they are kids, etc.

It doesn't hurt to have nice supply of nearby cachers for people to find either.