Why Do You Hide Caches?

wimseyguy

I hide caches for the same reason that I maintain a hiking trail. Someone made all these trails/caches available to me. Payback? <Oops> Returning the favor! That's it. (Though my trail maintenance seems to have suffered since I discovered geocaching...)

Many caches have brought me to beautiful places that I would never otherwise have ever known about. I think I done that for other people.

My caches all have very nice views. I started out simple. Now, I'm becoming mischievous. :D I enjoy challenging caches. So, I'm trying to make them more challenging. Of course, I never know if I've succeeded at being challenging until someone tells me that they were challenged.

The serious drawback is the frustration at having to wait weeks for a cache to be approved. I have a life principle: The dolphin don't go where the dolphin ain't wanted. Quite frankly, I'm not feeling wanted. Three weeks is an interminable time to wait. I'm about ready to stop hiding caches. More's the pity. Oh, well.

When I began hiding caches it was to bring people to an area rich in history that didn't get very many visitors. I wanted to bring people to a town that had a hidden history that was fast disappearing and in danger of being forgotten.

Later after finding more caches, I began to to place caches that would both provide interesting sites and challenge finders to think outside the box. I do try to toss in a mix of both challenging hides and hides that are family friendly.

One interesting aspect of living in an area with several prolific cachers and finders is that the bar is constantly being raised. One person's idea breeds an offshoot from another and another which keeps the ideas and caches fresh. I find the evolving challenges of both finding and places caches in this environment very exciting.

I think after awhile it becomes second nature when visiting any area to think in terms of "would this be an interesting spot to support a cache".

In answer to would I buy a prepackaged cache, I probably wouldn't since i enjoy toying with different methods of cammo on my caches. But there is always exceptions and I did win a prestocked cache at an event in Newport News that I placed in keeping with its theme.

Plus as others have said... I love reading the logs.

Edited by nctreker
Three weeks is an interminable time to wait. I'm about ready to stop hiding caches. More's the pity. Oh, well.

Oh, no! Can you resubmit it? I've never had to wait more than 3 days. Maybe your approver is on vacation for the holidays with family? Or overwhelmed with more cache approvals than he can handle in a reasonable amount of time?

I wonder if another approver can help out? What if you go under the "web questions" thread and ask about how to expedite it considering the amount of time that has passed?

When I started caching (September 1, 2003) there were 3 caches in existance within 10 miles of the 28779 zipcode, the closest was 5 miles. That cache is now the 52nd closest -- the other 51 all belonging to me. (And there are three more sitting in the approval queue as I type.) Back then there were 3 caches within 10 miles each belonging to a different cacher, only one which was owned by a semi-local cacher. There are now 86 caches within 10 miles, 9 of which are owned by non-OzGuff cachers, and 5 of them are owned by semi-local cachers.

So why do I hide caches? (And so darn many at that...) To be totally honest it started as a way to entice others into the activity, the logic being that if I hid them someone would come and hide more for me to find. When that didn't work too well I found that I liked to hide caches. I have tried to populate Jackson County (and the surrounding area) with all sorts of caches so that people of different abilities and desires can all cache as they wish.

I definitely have my share of lame-ish micros, but some of them get the occasional DNF. (So maybe they aren't so lame after all...) I also have caches intended to bring folks to new and cool spots. And I also have the 8-mile round-trip hike with serious elevation gain and awesome views. (But at least there are 7 caches along the route.)

I think that there is a distinct evolution in the cache-hider species:

1. Hide caches because you can -- you race out and hide it somewhere near without much thought of location and/or Muggle factor.

2. Hide caches to bring folks -- the location is cool/beautiful/unique and you want to share it with others.

3. Hide caches to challenge physically -- longer and/or more strenuous hikes with the cache being icing on the cake.

4. Hide caches to challenge mentally -- puzzle caches to stump them all and/or uniquely camouflaged caches.

I still hide caches that fit into all of the above categories, though I am more likely to make a lame micro harder by throwing a few twists into the cache description or adding a short puzzle element.

I also have a 4.5/4.5 cache out there spread out over 50 miles of driving that takes you to some cool spots, requires solving puzzles, translating from a different language, a lot of strenuous hiking, a paddle in a canoe (or a longish swim). and thinking outside the box. Only two sets of cachers have finished it so far but one cacher said it was one of his favorite caches to date. Need I say more? ;)

I hide caches so I can

1) Share sights and sounds I believe others would enjoy

2) Education to anyone who wishes to look into the subject of my "theme cache"

3) To read the logs and to see if others enjoy looking for my cache

4) It also gives me an excuse to get off my butt to maintain and look new caches to plant!

1)I like to hide caches to bring people to places they might otherwise overlook.

2)I am truly evil and I enjoy placing truly challenging caches that make the finder work for the swag. (I always stock these caches with great swag, no mctoys). I just placed a 5 stage multi with 4 micros and an ammo box. All the micros are camoflaged, and well hidden, the first 4 cachers had to email me for a hint. here are a couple:

OK, that was hard. Went out today with high hopes, and ran into MikeOtt wandering around at stage 1. We found it and went on to stage 2, where we found McCambJD wandering around. The three of us found that. Coords were right on for both, though reception was kind of jumpy. Went on to stage 3. Nothing. Ransacked the forest, followed all the jumpy signals. Nothing. At last, we all had to head to work, so decided to concede this round...

Found stage 1 with some effort (very nice job on the hide) and began to suspect I was in trouble. Got to stage 2 and searched around for 20 minutes before MikeOtt and Goldlocks appeared. Intros were made and we all looked around and Mike found stage 2. Went off to stage 3 and spent about an hour looking around. My coords were jumping around like a horny toad in a microwave (or something like that). This is a tough one, I may need a hint...

#3 first fiders log

YeeeeeeeeeHaw ! I was out here EARLY today to beat the FTF'rs to this very difficult micro madness multi...Thank GOD there is no snow on the ground , yet.

The third stage was not that hard to find after 64 helped me alittle.

My wife found stage 1 , I got lucky with 2 and 4. The last stage was a bear for me. The way this cache was hidden killed me when I found it. I was out at stage 5 for at least 50 minutes.Scorched earth. I was not leaving this spot until I found it. YOu know how they always say it's in the last place you look ?

There were NO, and I mean NO places I hadn't looked in a 50 foot radius. Then, there it was. The numbers were bouncing form 8 feet to 60 and back to 25 over and over and over....

TOOK the FTF prize and swapped out items, think I picked up a sig item.

Thanks for the challenge...I guess I 'm a real geocacher now !

I live for this!!!!

I decided to hide my first cache to give back to the game. I also liked the idea of: (1) introducing people to a place that not many folks seemed to know about, and (2) placing a cache within a reasonable distance from another cache that I liked to draw people to that cache as well.

I put out caches to bring people to area I like to go. Unique areas are very appropriate; geology; history; memorials etc..

A name with appropriateness to the hide is great.

A name with some pun :D ishment involved make me chuckle all the way down the trails. :D

I love the logs, and the cachers appreciation for the caches.

Edited by draconis

I'm relatively new to geocaching (12/27/05) but as after finding many caches including everything within about 10 miles of home, it seemed right to give something back by hiding my own. And not just sticking containers out there, but adding a little creativity. I really like the more creative caches, ones that teach something or demonstrate that the hider put some thought into the hide to give a memorable experience.

On that note, I really wish that Virtual Caches were still an option - I'm around 160 finds now but most are forgotten. And some of the most memorable experiences were virtual caches.

We get such a thrill out of finding unique caches. There are some really clever (and often evil) hides out there. We wanted to make our own contribution. We only have five hides so far, but we'd like to think that most of them are well thought out and that the finders nod and giggle when they find them like we have on so many caches.

I love reading the logs, and I like that we have had a couple of DNF's. We've been foiled plenty of times with evil micros, I like to give back to the caching community. :laughing:

I just started hiding caches in March, after caching myself for several months. I enjoyed caches that took me to places I never would have been, if it were'nt for caching. Thats how I placed mine. I find it just as enjoyable placing caches as finding them. The logs are the best when the finder expresses their enjoyment on finding it and the wildlife they may have seen on the way, as well as "hey! I've never been to this area of the park!" I try to make my hides interesting ,as well as my first caches were a series of a "different" kind of container for the area. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to know that a cache I placed will be remembered. :laughing: