Why Do You Hide Caches?

wimseyguy

There are a lot of reasons why some of us are more prolific at hiding than others. One of my regular caching pals pointed out that we used to hide them just from muggles (sorry flask, but it just works); but now we create hides to keep cachers from finding them too.

Also would you have any interest in purchasing a complete ready to go container from a vendor, or do you enjoy filling that ammo box, or creating that container yourself too much? :laughing:

Lately I have been in the creating unusual container mode, and logs like this from my most recent hide have been my motivation: :rolleyes:

Yea!!!! Second FTF in as many days! Wow!!! We loved this one. Did it after a big Thanksgiving dinner. It was windy and cold, but this was a true team effort. We were working off the hint, but should have turned our thinking to the other more obvious clue. Once we did that it was a race to find the cache with all three of us looking in a different spot. A few minutes later the cache was ours! A very clever hide and a fun time.

TFTC

I personally enjoy reading the logs of finders. I like to hear what they have to say about the cache containers. I also enjoy returning to my caches (regular sized ones) and reading their handwritten logs. I like making puzzle caches also. Granted these aren't very popular with the "cache and dash" crowd.

3:40 pm. FTF! OWOWOWOOOOOOoooooo! (coyote howl) Took me 30 minutes to spot this one and 5 minutes of the funky chicken FTF dance! TN-LN-SL, a most excellent hide, thank you Kit Fox!

QHCoyote. GCM3Y3

I thought I might be FTF on this one, but after a day like today and an evening like this one, I'll settle for STF. Thanks, Kit Fox, for all the effort to set this one up! I know it take time and lots of thought to put all the pieces together, but it makes it fun on the other end.

TheFisherman (solo) GCKV78

July 19 by EMC of Northridge, CA (3613 found)

One of my stops on a long odyssey from Hesperia through Wrightwood, Palmdale, and Lancaster to acheive the Team Perkyperks' Challenge, taking time for a Kit Fox Kache Fest.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable multi, from the variety of caches, to the easy, yet fun process of finding the final, from a nice place to sit in the shade to decipher the last set of coords, to the super large ammo box. I wish I'd had a TB to leave, but had none, so I left a Where's George $1 and took American playing cards.

Hope lots of folks find this one!GCJZQT

I have been harboring thoughts of making a true 5 star cache that requires night visits, UV lights and good hikes.

Bill,

Edited by Kit Fox

I think folks like to hide caches for different reasons. Modified or unique containers is a pinnacle of one aspect of hiding caches. Hideously difficult clues or puzzles is another, just like finding the most caches total or in a 24 hour is yet another.

I've put my hiding on hold for a while, but Sissy is still hiding them. Hers are physically tough and considering it's hard to find much of what can be considered terrain around here, it's a challenge just producing these harder caches, as well. I think the reason Sissy places caches is put our fellow cachers through the wringer. Maybe she's respond later.

getting to show people about places you know about but others don't is a real buzz. There is not many better feelings when someone praises you on the location of a cache you have placed or made a comment such as "I have driven past a hundred times but never knew this place existed.....thanks"

Edited by RoswellJam

WHen we started Geocaching, there were maybe three or four caches in our STATE, and the closest one to us was 2+ hours. Then another local cacher started hiding caches. Suddenly, there were other cachers around. We started hiding caches in hopes that others would do the same and start going the number of caches we could find.

getting to show people about places you know about but others don't is a real buzz. There is not many better feelings when someone praises you on the location of a cache you have placed or made a comment such as "I have driven past a hundred times but never knew this place existed.....thanks"

Same here.

And when someone's log says that they saw a fox or a hawk, or got within a few feet of a deer, that's like icing on the cake.

Same here.

And when someone's log says that they saw a fox or a hawk, or got within a few feet of a deer, that's like icing on the cake.

I agree! This was from a multi in a local park and there were deer when we placd the cache and it seems several see them when they go hunt for the cache as well. Here are a couple of logs:

"The sun is just coming up and the park is filled with deer, I must have seen about 20 or more of them. Up by the visitor center park the deer were sharing the play equipment with a large gaggle of turkeys(big ones at that). I have to thank you guys for dragging me out here this morning it was quite a memorable morning. Very cool!"

"Got the info at the cabin. Turn around and there are two deer about 20 ft away! Get the other info and start following the GPSr. Found the easy way there and passed the cache location. Looked at the spoiler hint and went back and found it. As I was coming back down there were three deer at the bottom of the hill. Got just past the log cabin and see three more deer and three turkeys on the trail!"

"Yah, I think we saw a group of 5 or 6 and had to shoo them off the trail."

"We had to fight our way through a pack of ravinous deer. thanks"

Edited by geobrowns

Why for the logs of course!

When cachers see the animals and spectacular views is primary of course.

Sometimes you get humorous entries like:

Wife didn't want me to take the SUV into the soft sand, so I had to make the 400' trek. Nice view of the community.

Took: Skateboard

Left: Sew Kit and VX-6000 phone . OK I went back and got my phone, once I realized it was missing - good thing I didn't get too far!

(I have also done this with expensive sunglasses.)

But, on occasion, I get some I don't enjoy reading:

The most expensive cache I've ever found. Got hopelessly stuck in the sand and it cost $150. to get pulled out. Lesson learned. Had no trouble finding the cache while waiting for the tow truck. Traded a Susan B for a bear. Thanks for the excitment.

I like to hide caches for a couple of reasons:

1) I want people to visit an area they might not normally travel to. Specifically a park or viewpoint. People are more apt to stand-up and protect areas that they are familiar with.

2) I like to contribute to a passtime that I see as being hightly valuable to families and individuals. Creating "purposeful walks" gets people outdoors, enjoying the city parks, etc.

3) My finds are less than my hides.... I want to make sure that I have plenty of caches to find when I have the time to go hunting (at the moment I'm really a busy guy), by doing my part to create a healthy "community" of cachers the sport will remain around for a long time. The city in which I live is a great place to cache! I haven't counted the raw numbers, but there must be at least a 100 or more caches in the area. If this keeps up, then the hobby will reach a critical mass and make it last a long time. For this reason, I am currently placing more "family" caches that aren't too hard to find, but fun for kids to turn over a rock and go "oooooo-- I FOUND IT!" Children especially need to gain an enjoyment of the outdoors at a young age. How many in the city do not get the thrill of exploring rocks and roots and leaves and rivers....... yet, they are all right there in the middle of the city!

4) Practice. I have about 10 caches to place in a very remote area that I only visit once per year. I want to see how my urban caches hold up, learn from them, and place some caches in an area that would be lucky to get a dozen vistors a year -- total -- not just cachers.

Sometimes I see a spot I want to share with others, other times I have a devious hide method that I want to try out, but I get a warm feeling in my tummy when those logs start coming in...I really like getting long detailed logs of how they liked the cache from those who usually leave "found cache, nice area, SL" logs. That means these folks had a good time, and that's what it's all about, baby! B)

I like knowing that people find my caches without know anything about the really treasures I have hid nearby some of my caches. naughty.gif

If people were not in such a rush to log the cache and leave they maybe surprised at what they find near the cache site. B)

Edited by Milbank
One of my regular caching pals pointed out that we used to hide them just from muggles (sorry flask, but it just works);

ahhhh! even my mother is against me! here's the clip from the invitation to MY party!

Hi,

(name) is going to be (age) on (date). She hopes that all of you can

join her in celebrating this special birthday beginning at 5pm on (other date). You'll find the party @ N 44 (digits) W 073 (digits). Clue:

(scrambled text). Terrain: * Dificulty: ** (liberal snipping of identifying material)

Directions for muggles (non-geocachers) only: (directions to the venue)

oh, and i hide caches because it's fun. next question?

to wimseyguy: if i can find that magnetic micro on the utility pole, i can find you.

flask your mom sounds pretty cool. I didn't get my invite yet though. Tell her I'd like to buy her a drink sometime.

Magnetic micros are pretty run of the mill around here, best of luck. But if you do find me I won't make you pitch a tent in the back yard. B)

PS: no one had addresses this part of the OP yet:

Also would you have any interest in purchasing a complete ready to go container from a vendor, or do you enjoy filling that ammo box, or creating that container yourself too much?
Edited by wimseyguy

I've been thinking about my hides (10 currently active--one archived because of bulldozing, and one adopted), and have come to the conclusion that I must want to show people places that are important to me. It's not a premeditated, conscious decision, but I won't throw one out there just because I can.

I cannot count the number of times this has happened in reverse--I have visited a really neat place that I would never have noticed because someone hid a cache there. I believe I have done the same for others with my caches.

James

Also would you have any interest in purchasing a complete ready to go container from a vendor, or do you enjoy filling that ammo box, or creating that container yourself too much?

No, I enjoy filling my own cache.

I seen some website was going to sell ready made caches B)

Edited by Milbank

I only have 4 hides, but they seem to be in places that aren't quite so popular. On our first hide ever, we get a lot of "had no idea this park was here" or "had no idea this place was back here." Also reading logs is great. On the same cache, a cacher made a log that said something to the effect of "getting married today, so I thought I'd grab a cache in the morning. TNLNSL/Got married." He must be a true hardcore cacher. :-)

Probably would not buy ready-made caches since many of our hides use "oddball" containers dictated by where they are hidden.

Curious, though, are they filled with McToys? <_<

John

In answer to the topic title: Nothing.

I do it becasue of those who hid something for me to find. Without someone willing to put these out there, there will be nothing for others to seek.

I also want to draw people to areas they would not otherwise find, however most of my hides are under a team ID.

I guess you can say I am "paying it forward" <_<

getting to show people about places you know about but others don't is a real buzz.  There is not many better feelings when someone praises you on the location of a cache you have placed or made a comment such as "I have driven past a hundred times but never knew this place existed.....thanks"

Same here.

R. Moore - Is that a Thomas Kinkade avatar?

It sure looks like it! <_<

Edited by Polgara
"Why Do You Hide Caches?, what do you get from it?

LOL! I am still waiting for someone to do the coyote howl and chicken dance...that would definitely result in a frenzy of about 10 more cache placements! LOL

I know I do it for some specific reasons:

1) We were running out of caches in our very immediate vicinity, and we know of some terrific historic and hiking areas that we HAVE to share. It is so cool to come home from a tiring day of work, too exhausting to hike afterward, and to see the emails from a family or couple that has had a blast seeking our cache that day. We still will travel to get to caches, but when we need to stay local, there is nothing like going out on an adventure to live out the cache hide...and people actually flock to find it! Who'da thunk?

2) When the winter squalls keep us in, we know the caches will keep winter-lovers busy, and we'll get to re-live their adventures through the logs.

3) WE hope to encourage others to "up the bar" in cache idea placements. We are trying to stretch the creative canvas and make caches as interesting as possible, not only in *where* they are placed, but in how they are hidden. We're pushing our creative envelope, trying to make ours very memorable, more than just a tupperware container under a rock (though we love those, too!).

4) It is a way of giving back while feeding the obsession. It allows me to obsess about a new idea, think about it during a boring business meeting at work, and carry it out afterward. <G>

5) It is SO cool to meet others online through their experience lived through our cache placement.

6) I get to continue enjoying the hobby through cache logs even when our lives keep us out of the field for a bit.

We have 3 fairly easy caches out there for the Mom's and kiddies, and one on an easy to get to island.

We get such a kick when we get an email out of nowhere at anytime, saying - well, all of the above...

I know how appreciative I am of the caches that I have found and the time that the owner put into it, and always try to take pics to upload and write long-ish logs - Paying it Forward is a perfect way to put it!

I placed my first on a spot that I saw from the air many times. It was a shrine on a small hill in the middle of a small wooded area. It was less then 3 miles from my house, and I decided I had to find out what it was. I got in the car and tried for an hour to find it. When I eventualy found it. I figured out that it was a small shrine. It was so peaceful there, that I had to share it with others. I found a spot off the shrine propeerty in a small park to place it. That is why I placed my first one.

Cabear

First an foremost I hide them to give back to those who have hidden for me. I also like the challange of creating something that a little different from the average cache, as they are the ones that I remember finding most myself. It when I get a log like the following that I know my efforts have been worthwhile.

"Everytime I think a hide can't be bettered, here comes another one to prove me wrong. I started at ground zero (or as close to it as I could figure) and for about 20 minutes worked in a slowly widening circle. I then went back to the original spot and just stood there (feeling REALLY stupid) for about five minutes, just looking all around. I then thought, "No, it can't be", and even when I had it in my hand I was still saying, "It can't be". I LOVED this cache, what imagination! I swapped the WG$ and signed the log. I think I was singing as I walked out of the cemetery. Thanks NB44. "

"WOW! What a great multi. Both of the 1st stages, The Stones & Sticky Fingers, Are very worthy and challenging caches. After getting the necessary info and doing the correct math, we arrived at a non-descript area for the next stage. After a good 20-25 mins, along comes a gentleman with his 2 four footed friends. Natureboy44! Great to meet him after all this time. He sat and enjoyed the four of us searching for this stage. I had a feeling it might be somewhere, but my first glances didnt reveal anything. Then, Bang! I spotted it. Yet another evil hide! well done. This is a great multi. plan to spend sometime in the park to do this one in a day."

"My 4th find of 7 for the day, during my first day of paperless geocaching using my Palm. I did this around 1:20 pm on a Friday, so there was practically noone around. Although not the hardest cache of the day, I'd definitely say it was the coolest! Total time of search ... 8 minutes. Enjoyment factor ... priceless! Thanks for the great hide!"

Edited by Natureboy44

I think I hide caches for many of the reasons that I skimmed over on this thread not really reading all of anyone's posts.

The main reason that I hide caches is because it's in my nature to do so. I hid my first cache in a crack, in an Indian cave, near Mammoth Lakes, California, in 1980. Either someone found it, or more likely the earth shifted covering it and I have never seen it again.

I have several active personal caches that have been hidden in the Sierra Backcountry since about 1989. I use them to store useful items I might need while backpacking/camping/fishing certain areas that I visit regularly. Caching is a basic human necessity dating back to the Stone Age.

Most of my "geocaching" hiding activity has been to share special places with my fellow geocachers, but I eventually want to try my hand at all the different types of hides including the types of hides that some (who consider themselves enlightened geocachers) would consider to be lame. To me EVERY cache has its place and a person who will appreciate it.

I just get more out of geocaching when someone finds one of my more labor/thought intensive caches and sees it exactly the way that I intended the cache to be experienced, whether it's a beautiful spot/view, :D or to torture, demoralize, confound, or horrify. :lol: That is what I hide geocaches for.

Hunting caches is far less satisfying for me unless the person has put a whole lot of thought into it. I still enjoy every cache I find, but I plan hunts to suit my situation. Through careful hunt planning, I can honestly say that I have never found a cache that I felt was a waste of time and effort. That said, I enjoy the notifications of a find on one of my caches just as much and sometimes more than actually finding one.

I don't know why I started, it just sounded like fun. After placing my first cache and reading the logs, I realized what a nice bunch of people we have in my area. I received some very nice comments and met some very friendly people. As a result, I put a lot of thought into my second cache so it would be a bit of a challenge and a lot more fun (a fake bird house). I have also started placing Lotto scratch tickets in my finds (especially the fun ones), and truly hope someone wins some big $$. Even if they don’t I hope they at least enjoy receiving them.

Depends on the mood I am in.

If I am in a "nice" mood, you will get a nice easy 1/4 mile stroll along a trail to a work of nature.

If I am in a "onerous" mood, that same location will take you 11 waypoints and 15 miles to find.

Give me any flak about it and the next one gets bad.

But you know you have a real problem when everything you look at becomes a potential hiding spot. Kinda like "I think I could stash a micro / pill bottle / tupperware / ammo can / 55 gallon drum right there in / on / under that . . . ." as your traveling out and back from the store or work or cache hunting.

Somthing along the line of failing to see the forest for the trees.

You know you have "arrived" as a cache hider when you have several caches in an area and local cacher are judged by how many of YOUR caches they have found. Or haven't found. Or won't even attempt to look for. Or your the reason people want an "IGNORE" button.

logscaler.

You know you have "arrived" as a cache hider when you have several caches in an area and local cacher are judged by how many of YOUR caches they have found. Or haven't found. Or won't even attempt to look for. Or your the reason people want an "IGNORE" button.

Amen brother! I have had several people tell me that they ignore my puzzle and higher difficulty caches.

It's these self-same people who were first in line to pick up trash at my CITO event, because I advertised that the actual coords to all of my puzzles would be available to people who will come out for CITO day.

Most of my "geocaching" hiding activity has been to share special places with my fellow geocachers, but I eventually want to try my hand at all the different types of hides including the types of hides that some (who consider themselves enlightened geocachers) would consider to be lame.

I did this for a while. I purposefully hid lame caches to cater to the people who actually like them. Then I realized that there are already enough lame caches out to keep them busy for a long time and I really don't need to add to the count. Instead I've tried to go back to my original MO of hiding caches that involve nice walks in scenic, or interesting areas.

I may try my hand at some purposefully evil hides just to spice things up. But every time I start thinking of something clever, something in me makes me fill up an ammo box, walk to a nice overlook and stash the cache.

I like trying out assorted camouflage ideas, Some work really well at being hard to find

JohnnyVegas, how I wish you lived in these parts! I would love to find camo'd containers like those! What fun looking at them! What did you use to cover the MO2, do you mind me asking?

And I don't get the Willard hint....I can't figure out who/what Willard is based on the hint (the pun is eluding me). Can you share? By email? The suspense is killing me, and I live in CT and can't fly out west to check it out! Sounds great, whatever it/he is!

I like trying out assorted camouflage ideas, Some work really well at being hard to find

JohnnyVegas, how I wish you lived in these parts! I would love to find camo'd containers like those! What fun looking at them! What did you use to cover the MO2, do you mind me asking?

And I don't get the Willard hint....I can't figure out who/what Willard is based on the hint (the pun is eluding me). Can you share? By email? The suspense is killing me, and I live in CT and can't fly out west to check it out! Sounds great, whatever it/he is!

Done

I definitely enjoy checking the website and reading what they have to say about my cache. I only have one out so far, but it's a pretty interesting "container" and most cachers have agreed, and thought it was cool. I like that I'm able to make some very seasoned cachers say "this was a cool/neat/fun idea!". I also fairly frequently enjoy going and reading the actual log on the cache.

I hide caches just because it is part of the game, and after finding a number of caches, I start getting interesting ideas of what I would do if I hid a cache. So I do.

Since my caches are concentrated in an area near my home, I like to try and hide a variety because I like finding a variety. There are times when an interesting, but simple cache stop find is what I want. At other times, I enjoy spending the afternoon trying to solve a really good puzzle and the cache is almost secondary. I do get tired of endless micros without much apparent reason other than there is a small hiding space to put them, so I don't add any micros to my area unless I think the spot is especially interesting and a micro is all that I can figure out how to hide.

Lastly, I like to have a variety of types because otherwise, the group in the area that specializes in FTF on that kind of cache seems to get all the FTFs.

I hide caches just because it is part of the game, and after finding a number of caches, I start getting interesting ideas of what I would do if I hid a cache. So I do.

Finding a cache is fun ... hiding a cache is sharing the fun. Getting an idea for a cache and making it work -- then reading the comments as people log in their finds -- that's even more fun, even when it's hard work and you're getting frustrated, or you realize that a cool scheme isn't going to work and you have to re-invent the dratted thing almost on the fly.

There's the challenge, too, of "How can I make this difficult - or fun - or share this neat experience, this neat site, with the world?"

But when you get it all together -- do the work, find the perfect (or a darned good) hiding place, place your little treasure and get it logged in -- that's cool. It's gratifying. And then you start getting those logs from visitors to your cache, little "Thank You" notes from this community ... or the snarls of frustration that are applause for a really well-hidden hide. :D

I do it because I enjoy showing people my favorite parking space at the mall, my favorite bus stop bench, my favorite highway guardrail... :D

Um...okay, I like showing people something new...whether it's an unusual container, a scenic vista, a neat architectural element, there is lots to see that you'd normally overlook.

Plus the genuine appreciation other cachers express. You can't beat that.

Why do I hide caches?? Very big question!

1. To give back to the geocaching community. It seems if you place it they will come, and then they will place, and then...the saga continues.

2. To challenge myself. Yes, it does take a bit of brainpower to come up with a different/unusual cache. Its easy to throw a 35mm cannister under a light pole and call it a micro. If I place a cache I try to make to different in some way, shape, or form! The self challenge of being creative keeps the juices in the brain flowing!

3. The logs! The DNFs on some of my , dare I say evil caches. :D The finds on my (evil) caches. :D The logs on easier caches that show the shared experiences of a parent and child when they post a find.

Example of a micro DNF:

Duuuude, like wow man, I took your advice in the hints so when I finally found the park I wasn't like totally in the mood to look for stuff so I wandered around and checked out the trees. Then I got a wicked case of the munchies so I found some old cookies and a half a cereal bar in my pack so I ate them. Then I lay down for a nap . Well the thunder woke me up so I looked around for a while but didn't see any caches . Then the rain started. It was waaay cool until there were only 2 mississippis between the lightning and thunder . Then it was splitsville for me dude. Guess I'll come back and look some more the next time I'm um, you know in the mood .

Example of micro find:

That was grrrrreat... I sure wish I had an imagination like yours. I found it soon after you saw me. Thanks very much for the challenge and the FTF

Example of shared experience:

Great walk in a secluded locale. Hope TPTB decide to keep it relatively undeveloped. I found the raw walk a great diversion. I may have to bring back my trusty sidekick. I think he could rough it on this one.

Took a nice little pendant necklace for Carly and a Wooden nickle for Kirby and the Alethiometrists collector's button. Left a Pink Hawaiian Lei, a metal, kinetic desk sculpture for the office and a $5 Leopard Loot coupon for a gift basket from www.wildbaskets.com.

Thanks for a great hike.

So why do I hide caches! All in all, I just love hiding caches! :D:D

Edited by jackcacheNC