GPSMAP76 Questions

Guest kellytklp

Guest kellytklp

Hi,

I am new to the sport/hobby, and in fact just received my GPSMAP76 today. (Took the day off of work to celebrate) In any case I am quite pleased with the unit. It seems to be very accurate and the internal base map looks great.

Question #1 Are MapSource maps the only software downloadable into the extra 8 Meg?

Question #2 I understand that ?EasyGPS? will allow me to download waypoints into my GPSMAP76. Is this difficult for someone who is quazi computer literate?

Question #3 Those of you that have the GPSMAP76, do I gain that much better detail with the MapSource software? In other words, is it worth the money?

Question #4 Any suggestions on must have accessories for this unit?

Thanks for you help!

Guest Big-Bird

I think the Garmin maps are the only ones that you can use with them. I bought the Topo set and think its worth it. You can go to the Garmin web page and see an on-line version of the map detail.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/

Click on the MapViewer and go to any of the map sets.

After viewing the maps then you can see if you think its worth it before spending $$$.

Its a piece of cake to load the maps and interface with the gps. Plug in the cable install the software, insert your CD for the area you want and you're in.

View the maps and use the map tool to seclect the quardrant(s) you want to load into the gps. Add in known waypoints. Click on the upload button and sit back. 2-5 min and its done.

If you go to different areas you can download & save one set of maps and waypoints on your computer. Then say later on you want to go back to that same area just open the saved file and upload it.

I loaded up over 250 sq miles of area and it used less than 2 meg.

I think I'm going to upload till it says full and see what it will really hold. The memory says 3% so............?????

I have not had any problems but after reading some of the posts here I'm going to get the ext. antenna before going out just in case.