My First Cache....question

Alan Ellis

Hello, I'm new to geocaching and this site. I wanna do my first cache and had a question. When you hide a cache, can you use multiple waypoints for directions to the cache? This cache will be off the beaten path in a wilderness area near a trail. Is it better to just give directions or can you use coordinates/waypoints for directions to get in the general area?

Thanks.....GREAT SPORT and GREAT SITE!

Alan

-----------------------------------------

http://www.jackieandalan.com

Welcome to your new addiction !!

Your profile shows you have not found a single cache yet -

suggest you find a dozen or so caches before you try to hide one -

this give you much more experience in how caches are hidden so you know

what kind of cache you want to hide and how you want to hide it. To say nothing of how a cahce should be hidden. You can only learn these things by finding a bunch of caches first -

Edited by CompuCash

Most people use just the coordinates for the cache itself. Some people put parking coordinates in the cache description. Rarely would someone put more sets of coordinates on the cache page.

The reason for only giving parking and cache coordinates is because part of the fun involves looking at the map and trying to figure out the best "assault route" to take to get to the cache.

If you give good coordinates (some check them on 2 or 3 different days) then they will be able to find the cache.

Have fun planning your first cache.

John

This cache It's all on the surface uses multiple waypoints.

As the name implies the destination and the cache are all on the surface. The initial coord.will get you to a gate, most of the year it remains open, if it's locked you can hike or mountain bike the route but it's a bit of a stretch. Reset your gps with the following coords. N 34.37.146 X W 118.35.686,in 2.7 miles, these will get you to a crossroads of three roads, 7N13.2,7N13,6N321, you will need to take the Road Less Traveled, ( thats a clue ),the first 50' of this road has Tank Traps, two mounds of dirt across the road, I wouldnt try to cross them with a Honda Civic, but a pick up or subaru type of vehicle will do fine, the tops of both mounds have been flattened down pretty good so short wheel bases are the way to go, I went in in a full size, crew cab, long bed, thats how I know the tops are pretty flattened, I did most of it, anyway the road beyond is an easy drive in the family truckster, set your gps again for the trail head to N34.37.671 X W118.35.040, when you get there park out of the road, you will see the trail, reset one more time to N34.37.711 X W118.35.562, plan on about 1hr of easy walking but you will be busting some brush, this trail hasnt seen any use in more than 25 years, when you get to the destination the cache is right in the open