Owwwwie!!!

In Florida you may find yourself working through a delightful mix of saw palmetto (saw for the finetoothed cutting edge of each stem), cat briar and blackberry brambles, often nicely blended with a bit of poison ivy. Such fun! Adding to the enjoyment of such hunts (Hint: it's in the palmettos) is the tendency of paper wasps to use the central rib of palmetto fronds for nest building.

I recently revisited a cache at a popular gay parking spot.

By myself.

So while I'm sitting there with the cache open, I hear this thing behind me, and this guy comes into my section of the woods, I hurried up and hid the cache, and then I got up to go to a different area and he comes over and starts up this conversation.

Now, I don't care what he said to me, you don't wear brand new white shoes when you just plan to take a walk through the woods. People who plan on going into the woods wear old sneakers, hiking boots, something, but never something that looks like it came right out of the box that morning.

And of course I had to find one that swung my way, too.. I wouldn't have had the problem I did if he were flaming.

I'd take a cactus, or poison ivy or a juniper or a full field of skunk cabbage before I'll ever be a lone woman in the woods like that again.

Dallas, Texas area in the middle of summer.  :)

Hot, humid, dirty, yucky, no place to really hide the caches,  :)

Now hold on there, Hoss.

There's lotsa places fer puttin' them dang caches. As fer the heat, well shoot, this June weren't even hot. I tell ya what, you come on down next August and I'll show ya hot. My pappy says he seen a rattler dipping a mouse in iced tea, just tryin' to find some relief. We did have a whole buncha rain in June, but I cain't imagine it gettin' any more humid than Seattle.

Ifin ya love poison ivy and briar patches, why you'd be happier than a pig in slop, here.

Y'all take care now, ya here?

Dallas, Texas area in the middle of summer.  :)

Hot, humid, dirty, yucky, no place to really hide the caches,  :D

Now hold on there, Hoss.

There's lotsa places fer puttin' them dang caches. As fer the heat, well shoot, this June weren't even hot. I tell ya what, you come on down next August and I'll show ya hot. My pappy says he seen a rattler dipping a mouse in iced tea, just tryin' to find some relief. We did have a whole buncha rain in June, but I cain't imagine it gettin' any more humid than Seattle.

Ifin ya love poison ivy and briar patches, why you'd be happier than a pig in slop, here.

Y'all take care now, ya here?

:)

Hope I didn't offend.

I go to the Dallas area usually about once a year, or more for business. The last trip this summer was the first time we had a minute for caching. And it probably was about that short of a time. It was very frustrating. It's just open and flat. I come from the foothills of the Cascades, and it's not humid or flat at all.

We went to a "park" in Texas, and it's not what I'm used to at all. It was just after a storm, and there was some flooding. I couldn't even get to one of the caches, because of the standing water, and the other cache made me go off the trail. In my area, going off the trail seems like a nice, clean activity. Not in the park in Dallas. It probably is just home prefferences. You're spoiled by what you are used to. :)

Now, I don't care what he said to me, you don't wear brand new white shoes when you just plan to take a walk through the woods. People who plan on going into the woods wear old sneakers, hiking boots, something, but never something that looks like it came right out of the box that morning.

Oh no ... I do that. I hate bright white new sneakers. I actually do wear them a couple of times when I think there will be a high possibility of them getting dirty before I would think of wearing them to the mall or going to work.

This list of things I can't wear, do, say, etc., for fear of being somehow labeled is getting longer and longer. :)

Actually I brought a new pair with me on my recent trip out to Portland and Seattle. Of course it rained at some point everyday for the almost two weeks I was there. I actually was scheduled to be there longer but I could not take the weather anymore so I paid the airline fine to come home early. But on some of the caching I did get in it was great to break them in, plenty of mud. Probably the best one was the Un-Original Cache. I don't know what that stuff was around that area but I kept sinking into it.

Hope I didn't offend.

Not at all. Just kidding around.

I noticed when you were in town and that was the second wettest June we've ever had here. The humidity here is rarely that high.

Mountains or even hills would be nice, but what can you do, right? Several cachers have made up for it with some really nice hiking/equestrian trail hides.

Hopefully, you can come down, (with time to cache), when the weather is little more cooperative.

Hope I didn't offend.

Not at all. Just kidding around.

I noticed when you were in town and that was the second wettest June we've ever had here. The humidity here is rarely that high.

Mountains or even hills would be nice, but what can you do, right? Several cachers have made up for it with some really nice hiking/equestrian trail hides.

Hopefully, you can come down, (with time to cache), when the weather is little more cooperative.

That'd be great. :D I used to come in February, but haven't for a coupla years. I'm hoping that I will be able to next year. We have training workshops there in February, and for the last coupla years in June or July, also. :)

We also stay with some friends down there, so all our time is taken up with work and friends. I just need to convince my husband that I REALLY need to break it all up with a little caching. :)

Now that I've stepped on some toes already, I can name the truly worse place that I have ever cached in. Central Park. :D

I know that a lot of people actually LIKE caching there, but no offense, it was horrendous. One cache was on a little rise, a film canister. Well, the rise was just covered in this dirty ivy, with a few homeless people sleeping in it in the middle of the day. Do you really think that I'm going to actually step around the homeless man, and stick my hands into the dirty ivy, and stick myself with who knows what?

That was the only time that my husband and I have ever been inside of Central Park, and we only had a half day. We were excited to use geocaching as a tour guide, cause that had always worked before. Big mistake. It took us to several frustrating caches, with only two redeeming caches, until we used up all of our time. Didn't even get to check out the North end of the Park, with the prettier gardens.

Whew! Glad to get THAT off my chest! :)

You got to know, I come from an area that has one of the nicest, cleanest, prettiest park systems. So as I said, I'm very biased. :)

Now, I don't care what he said to me, you don't wear brand new white shoes when you just plan to take a walk through the woods.  People who plan on going into the woods wear old sneakers, hiking boots, something, but never something that looks like it came right out of the box that morning.

Oh no ... I do that. I hate bright white new sneakers. I actually do wear them a couple of times when I think there will be a high possibility of them getting dirty before I would think of wearing them to the mall or going to work.

This list of things I can't wear, do, say, etc., for fear of being somehow labeled is getting longer and longer. :)

Actually I brought a new pair with me on my recent trip out to Portland and Seattle. Of course it rained at some point everyday for the almost two weeks I was there. I actually was scheduled to be there longer but I could not take the weather anymore so I paid the airline fine to come home early. But on some of the caching I did get in it was great to break them in, plenty of mud. Probably the best one was the Un-Original Cache. I don't know what that stuff was around that area but I kept sinking into it.

The guy just didn't seem the type to be 'walking on the trails' (I don't even know if there *are* trails where he was) like he said he was. To me, the shoes were the kicker.

I went in the woods in dirty jeans, an old tshirt, and a comfy pair of well broken in shoes. He was much too clean to have planned to be walking on the trails in that area - plus since there's no parking where he claimed to have come from (he would have had to have walked at least half a mile to get to the trails he was supposedly walking on), his story had as many holes as swiss cheese.

Now that I've stepped on some toes already, I can name the truly worse place that I have ever cached in. Central Park. :)

:)

I might be right there with you on this one. We will be in NY next week, (watch The Today Show, December 1st for my son, Chance).

I'm not sure if we'll get an opportunity to go caching, but I'm going to try.