Ammoboxes From Cheaper - Pics

twilliams

Thought you'd like to know (since I've heard the requests on other threads).

So CheaperThanDirt sells ammo boxes cheaper than anywhere we've heard of (except one guy that was in the miltary).

$20 + $5 shipping = $25 for 6 boxes.

CheaperThanDirt .30 Cal AmmoBox x 6

But are they any good? Well I ordered some and thought you'd like to know.

They had them delivered in about a week. They are covered in some fine dust (desert sand?) they have some tape that's easily removable. The look practically new. What else? No rust! one or two have areas where the paint is worn thin on the corners, they smell musty. Much better than what I could have found locally.

Better I think than the pictures depict on their website.

AmmoBoxes.jpg

Again the green tape and orange decals pull off easily. They mention that there is some varation in the lots they get on their site, but I'd wouldn't hesitate to buy these from them again.

Hope this helps someone.

I've had very good luck with their boxes. A few had some rust. Some had a few dings and two were partially filled with mud, but out of over 100 ammo boxes I've purchased from them over the years, all were usable and just a handful required some light sanding and a touch of Rustoleum.

Edited by briansnat

Are those canvas handles on the boxes? Have they started doing this recently, or are those older boxes?

I'm used to seeing collapsible steel handles, but I can't decide if the canvas would be better or worse than steel. On one hand, the handles would be quieter when moving the boxes. but on the other hand it seems that the canvas won't last as long as the steel.

Just curious.

That does seem unusual -- I've ordered probably 60-70 ammo cans from Cheaper Than Dirt, and all have had the metal handles and none have been missing the latch or any part.

By paying so little, I expect to have a few bad ones out of the bunch--but every single one I've received has been usable, and since I clean and repaint even the best-looking ones, a little extra dirt or rust hasn't been a problem for me.

Are those canvas handles on the boxes? Have they started doing this recently, or are those older boxes?

I'm used to seeing collapsible steel handles, but I can't decide if the canvas would be better or worse than steel. On one hand, the handles would be quieter when moving the boxes. but on the other hand it seems that the canvas won't last as long as the steel.

Just curious.

Interesting. My last two orders from cheaper than dirt had the metal handles. I haven't seen canvas ones before.

Anyway, out of several orders from them, I have only once gotten a can that I questioned. It had more rust than usual, a slight dent, and came with a small amount of water inside it. I gave it to my Mom, who tested it and it was water tight though. It just didn't look as good as it could have. :)

Is it my imagination or is the one laying on its side missing the latch?

The latch is actually inside the can, I'd opened this one and not locked it back down.

And yes they do have canvas handles, so they won't rust, and will lie completely flat. I imagine the canvas would degrade if exposed to the elements after some time. If I'm using it for a cache, I don't care about the handle so much, and if I'm using it at home, then I guess the handles ought to last pretty well in my garage. For what it's worth the canvas handles are thick.

Are those canvas handles on the boxes?  Have they started doing this recently, or are those older boxes?

The open one also doesn't have the rib type thing I've seen in most cans.

Different country of origin maybe?

But more importantly, how do they seal? :)

The sealing rubber looks in very nice condition, with the bottom edge imprint clear around the entire perimeter. So no visible cracks, dried areas, or wear. If it warms up a bit I might try submerging them locked to see what happens.

These are similar to some I got recently at a local surplus store. Some had the canvas handles, and some had the standard type metal handles. But they were all slightly narrower than the standard 30 cal boxes (about five/eights inch). Other differences are inside the lid (no ridge) and no metal loop on the outside, under the latch. I got them for $2.95 and they were in like new condition. They close very tightly on the seal (more so than on the standard size.) The store called them European 30 cal boxes.

These are similar to some I got recently at a local surplus store. Some had the canvas handles, and some had the standard type metal handles. But they were all slightly narrower than the standard 30 cal boxes (about five/eights inch). Other differences are inside the lid (no ridge) and no metal loop on the outside, under the latch. I got them for $2.95 and they were in like new condition. They close very tightly on the seal (more so than on the standard size.) The store called them European 30 cal boxes.

$2.95?!

Man, you should start selling them on Ebay.