Afermarket Data/power Cables - Etrex

Trekkin56

I recently searched eBay and found a data/power combo cable for eTrex units,, but its not made by Garmin. Has anyone bought this item, and if so, is it worth it? :)

Here's a link to one of the auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5733651100&rd=1

Any feedback is appreciated.

-Rob

I bought my data cable from them about a month ago, along with a windshield mount and a vent mount (wasn't sure which I'd like better, btw I like the windshield mount better). It works great for me.

I've also seen a package that included an AC power converter, so that I can plug it in inside the house for $21.99. Did you get that accessory, too?

-Rob

I got this same setup about a year ago for my Vista. Still works great. The one problem I have is the flush mounting adapter that slides into the unit. It's sometimes takes two or three times to find the grooves. On the other hand, once in, it stays in; whereas the garmin power cable I have slides out too easily.

I don't use the power converter anymore, cause I switched to rechargeable batteries, and I always have a fresh set in the charger.

By the way, let me put a plug in for the second set of Panasonic rechargeable batteries from Costco I just bought.

1st set bought a year ago for $20: 6AA 2100mAh; 2AAA 750mAh batteries; and a fast AC portable charger.

2nd set I just bought for $25: 8AA 2300mAh; 2AAA 780mAh; and a AC/DC portable charger.