Calling all Geo-guru's!!!!!

Garminator

Howdy all!

I'm an extreme newbie at this sport and have no immediate friends who Geocache/benchmark hunt. What I'd like to know from those who been around here a while is.............If you had one of your best geocaching/benchmark tips to offer, what would it be?

TIA

Garminator

"I seen Elvis making crop circles"

Once you get close to the cache coordinates, your GPS direction pointer may bounce around. Ignore it at this point, and walk to reduce the "Distance to waypoint" display down to as close to 0 as you can. At that point start your search for the cache in a general circle pattern from that point. After a while, you will become acustomed to using "The Force" icon_wink.gif You will begin to see the places that are likely hiding spots.

66427_2800.gif

Don't head out through the woods "as the crow flies" hoping to intercept the trail and save some time only to find out the woods are tangled with pokey plants and viney things that make you fall and spider webs that were built right at face level and fallen trees that are extremely difficult to climb over and swamps, ditches, or other almost impassable terrain so you end up thrashing around in the woods like a lunatic.

In other words, stay on the trail.

even if you are caching during the day!!

I parked 0.5 miles away from a cache only to find out it was at 2500 feet elevation. It was noon and I thought I could hike up and back down before sunset.

Needless to say, I will always bring a flashlight with me from now on.... icon_eek.gif

Always tell someone where you are going, and when you park, mark a waypoint so you can find the car.

Take more stuff than you need. Smile and say hello when you meet people, but don't volunteer information about what you're doing (unless she's REALLY cute).

Ooops, that's more than one thing.

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"

In Geocaching the shortest way between to points is not always a straight line. I was reminded of this today when I climbed through a canyon of very prickly bushes only to find that the trail I had ignored when starting out went around this barrier and ended up at the cache. icon_wink.gif

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

quote:
If you had one of your best geocaching/benchmark tips to offer, what would it be?
In the line underneath "New Topic" in the forums is a button called search. It does WONDERS, like yielding important results like this topic. icon_wink.gif

OK - my best Geocaching suggestion:

(Credit Jeremy) Cache in/Trash out. This works extremely well when you're near a cache doing that final where-is-it search if someone comes by on the path. While looking around for the cache if you have your trashbag in hand people think you're just picking up trash.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Man, ALL these tips are excellent!!!! Makes the difference between a "Pleasureable" and a "Miserable" hunt. Wait!...Wait! Sorry, there is no such thing as "Miserable" hunt

>>Watch your speed from cache to cache, It could get you a speeding ticket!! I just found out!!! $80.00!!! He would of not understood I was going for 10 of 10!!!<<

This one gave me a chuckle, although paying a ticket isn't funny.....when I first started to read this I thought there was going to be some logical GPS related info but......more like Law Inforcement info! icon_frown.gif

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming.........

Garminator

"I seen Elvis making crop circles"

Read as much of the forums as you can. I've been reading for a very long time, and every question I have had, has been answered without me ever having to ask one. (Hopefully I won't be embarrassed with a Markwell) Also, reading can take you off to places that answers questions you didn't even know you had!!! icon_wink.gif

ntga_button.gif

Use caution with the new vocabulary. I used the term Markwelled at work, and was looked at as if I were crazy, and took alot of explaining and a trip to this site to explain the meaning. Oh, and one of the people bought my Legend to start caching!

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

Find the cache, then walk about a while. Pack a lunch. You're NOT at work... I placed my caches in some nice areas worth a look about. A couple hours at a cache in an old quarry near the coast got me to deal with my new found acrophobia/vertigo. I had a blast sending imaginary cannon fire at an invading fleet at another cache. I had a school group play along. When I was thanked by the teacher, I had to tell her I had been looking for a box of trinkets, and no, didn't work there but had read history of the area before I visited.

Have fun

Don't lie to your spouse about your (soon to be) addiction. If you HAVE to cache, don't say you're grocery shopping instead. You'll only forget the groceries anyway. Be honest, and keep your fingers crossed that your partner/children/boss understand!

Unless they're already trying to beat you to a FTF.

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."