New Cachemobile

klaus23

Well folks,

The time has come (prior to relocation) to flog the Fiat Punto (after 25,000 trouble-less miles). I'll be looking for a new car over Christmas and the following applies:

- It must have geocaching merits

- It must not be a diesel :lol:

- It cannot be over 1800cc (or the insurance people will go mad) :ph34r:

- The budget is £1500 :laughing:

- It must be suitable for daily use

- It must accommodate me (6ft'1) :huh:

- It will be used for serious mileage, eg long motorway hauls, trips to Europe etc

- Although 4x4s have their merits, I don't fancy one for daily use. :huh:

So go on... what would be your most suitable new, budget, geomobile...?

Prizes go for interesting submissions. Offers to flog cars will be considered! :o

Santa is bringing me a new Golf Diesel 2Ltr for my Christmas :lol:

I have had the chimney especially widened and left out a drop of something special for the old guy :huh:

Hehehehehehehehe!!

Ullium.

P.S. I just found out what the fuel consumption was for the 2000Ltr engine and decided that I would just settle for the bog standard 2Ltr one ... not only that but the engine was so large I would have needed a periscope to look over the top of it to see the road ahead :laughing::huh::o:ph34r:

Edited by Ullium

The Ford Probe fails on it having a 2ltr engine - and horrid design that's neither grand cruiser nor coupe.

Ok... maybe I was wrong about diesels... as I did almost buy a 1.8D Fiesta as a cachemobile about 4 months ago... so lets include oil-burners, noisy and accident-causing though they may be!

Ulliums 2000ltr diesel may not be as economical as the 2ltr.

My wife has 1.9tdi and it returns over 50mpg, if she rants it it drops to 48mpg.

I would try to find an early golf diesel, i've no idea of costs of course but the feul saving may allow a stretch? There are other cars that use the same engine - skoda and seat - they'll be cheaper and just as good.

Santa is bringing me a new Golf Diesel 2000ltr for my Christmas 

Cor blimey! 2000 ltr, bet that costs a bit to run...

:ph34r:

My wife is driving home as we speak in a brand new Peugeot Partner Escapade 2000 turbo diesel (delivered with just 3 miles on the clock this morning). It will get approx 55-60mpg, and is plenty quick enough at accelerating (very rapid to be honest).

Nowt wrong with diesels :laughing:

Cachemobiles sorted and well before Xmas!:

New Suzuki Bandit 1200 replated to P100 GPS. Catch me if you can for the TB tracking number off the keyring!

Second hand Suzuki Vitara 2.0 V6 replated to P99 GPS. You'll find me stuck in mud up a green lane to get that TB tracking number! When you catch up with me on the motorway you'll know it's me long before you can see the number plate.....!

The Volvo can finally take a breather! :laughing:

Santa is bringing me a new Golf Diesel 2000ltr for my Christmas :laughing:

I have had the chimney especially widened and left out a drop of something special for the old guy :ph34r:

Hehehehehehehehe!!

Ullium.

You'll need more than a chimney widened to house a 2000 ltr ! Try a freight ship!

g.f's megane is a 2000cc diesel. She gets the computer reading up to around 50 Mpg. When I borrow the car I pride myself in getting that down to 40 mpg, have yet to drop below.

Cachemobiles sorted and well before Xmas!:

New Suzuki Bandit 1200 replated to P100 GPS. Catch me if you can for the TB tracking number off the keyring!

Second hand Suzuki Vitara 2.0 V6 replated to P99 GPS. You'll find me stuck in mud up a green lane to get that TB tracking number! When you catch up with me on the motorway you'll know it's me long before you can see the number plate.....!

The Volvo can finally take a breather! :laughing:

It wasn't you with a Volvo with the reg. V5 GPS was it????

Don't be silly it's not consecutive! :laughing: Wouldn't mind the plate though, it'll be worth much more than the car!

Oh, and a tip for those xmas plate hunters. "GPS" is currently base price. I've not given the game away purchasing my two but if there's a run on the letters you can guarantee the price will begin to creep!

The time has come (prior to relocation) to flog the Fiat Punto (after 25,000 trouble-less miles). I'll be looking for a new car over Christmas and the following applies:

You probably still can't get a Focus for that little without it having done a 1/4 mill miles but if you could raise the money to go for a 1.6 then that is the best petrol car you could get for your money.

You could get a Suzuki jeep for this kind of money but avoic ones that have had any flarey, chromy things done to them because they are bound to have been boy racered and that just doesn't do Suzukis any favours.

Avoid anything with a lot of electic gadgets if you are paying this sort of money especially if it is French or Italian!

A quick search on AutoTrader.co.uk (for my area of course) revealed this 1993 K Reg BMW 316i Motordrive 4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, Red. alarm remote controlled, Bmw alloy wheels, Body Coloured Bumpers and Mirrors, power steering, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Sunroof. which if it drove well would be a reasonable buy, should be reliable, parts reasonably priced second hand, etc.

Email me through profile if you want any more advice. 10 years in the motor trade and as an MOT authorised examiner I know what makes it through when it gets to this sort of value.

P.S. No offence if anyone owns anything french, italian, suzuki or broken - these are general observations only.

235000 miles on the old D reg Merc 200T station wagon and it still runs like a dream! A bit heavy on petrol but for £800 I got a lot of car with a lot of space and at that age you can get it fully comp on classic insurance for under £200 !

And with a budget of £1500 the change would go a long way towards a shiny new GPS and maybe even a PDA!

Edited by Inukshuk
Well folks,

...?

Prizes go for interesting submissions. Offers to flog cars will be considered! :D

I'm not sure.

But it would certainly be a diesel, ohh and it would have a working door handle :):):D

An Observation from the wife

"Is it cheaper to buy a new one than clean out the old one after the Great Northern Cacheing exedition" :):)

:) I have a Renault Kangoo 1.4 RXE (car not van) and there is loads of headroom plus it is only group 5 insurance and does about 44 to the gallon.

This is only my recomendation, I aint selling it but I am sure you will find a good one for the price you are willing to pay. The only downside is the dash has absolutely no flat bits to stick your gps mount to, I had to use a GARMIN beany mount for my gps.

No curvy bits allowed!

I totally agree.

Before I got the beany mount, I used the so called permanent do-nut sticky mount atachment - tried to let it set not banking on my 4 year old son having an interest in it and yanking it clean off the dash - then I decided to use the semi permanent sticky and permanent sticky together (tied my son up) and waited.

It is now set solid on the curvy dash - with the 60cs attached it wobbles a bit but I now have no trust in it and think the beany is far better.

Edited by izzardno1

I wedge the GPS standing up between the dash and the windscreen, sits nicely just below line of sight, making it very easy to view, without taking your eyes of the road.

Unfortunately, I drive some french c**p... :)

Matt

Edited by mattwaggie

German diesels are generally over priced because people want German cars. I would not touch a F*rd with a bargepole unless it has an immaculate service history and I met the little old lady who previously owned it!

I like French diesels because they are pretty bombproof and those french seem to know a thing or two about diesels. I bought my current '96 Citroen ZX 1.9D for £1K off EBay with 72K miles and a FSH. Returns 50 mpg, sounds like a London taxi, as as glamorous as Anne Widdicombe in a sensible frock... it has also been a dadgum good car! Once a french car is over a certain age, all the plastic trim has snapped off already, so nothing left to worry about!

Check out honest john for unbiased reviews of cars past and present, good solid advice and links to online sales and prices.

Ahhh there we go Alibags :) Thats where everyone makes the mistake!

Yes the French Derv engine is the best around for that money however it is attached to a piece of over engineered crap.

Agreed about Ford until the Focus revolution. It is the best car on the road 'for the money' without any doubt or argument - sorry :)

My previous car was a french one... A Peugeot 205 GTI, ten years old and 116,000 miles on the clock when I bought it, drove it for six years, other than servicing, the only work needed was replacement brake pads and discs shortly after buying it...

It was bomb proof... it had a few peculiarities, such as selecting reverse gear needed a knack to do it... I miss that car!!!

Matt

By the way I have run more than 10 Zx's in my time (vehicle rentals and personals) and they are great until they are 8 years old then hold on to your wallets! Trust me, I know what I am talking about.

I am currently running around in my old mum's Xantia 1.9 TD SX 1996 with ONLY 36,000 miles on the clock. But I know to get rid by 40,000 and before its 5th MOT - its the french thing you know!

Si

My previous car was a french one... A Peugeot 205 GTI, ten years old and 116,000 miles on the clock when I bought it, drove it for six years, other than servicing, the only work needed was replacement brake pads and discs shortly after buying it...

It was bomb proof... it had a few peculiarities, such as selecting reverse gear needed a knack to do it... I miss that car!!!

Matt

Those were the old days :)

Now you are talking about undertested, over engineered electrics that even the main dealers don't know what they are looking at. Say bye bye to 4 year old french cars :)

Sorry - I shall get out of this right now....yeeeeehahhahaererereehhhhhh!

:D Hi guys,

Thanks for all the interest in the thread... here's my 2p worth:

Firstly, it must be said that stonefisk travels in style :)

The Suzuki Jeep doesn't pass go because it's too much like the Toyota RAV4/Honda CR-V - it's more a lifestyle car than an offroader. If I did go down that road (and plans are afoot) then it would have to be a used (possibly ex-military) Land Rover Defender 90. They're just cool. :) And as for geocaching in one - it's very, very practical but those long motorway trips would be a pain.

The BMW 316 has been up for consideration due to its looks, reliablity (those engines have been known to do up to 4 million miles) and all-important RWD setup. Unfortunatly this comes at a price, as insurance companies have "roundabouts and rain" in mind. Insurance quotes for a BMW 316 are 40%-50% more than a similar priced Cavalier/Mondeo. At least that's what I got back.

But as for price - these E30's go for £400 upwards, so it would be one for the future.

inukshuk merits special attention for his Merc Estate. These were built to cover huge mileages and many still do. A local taxi driver I know here is heading for over 500k on the clock in one without major worries. They also look cool and would carry 5 adults and gear to an event without a bother. Sadly, for me the engine sizes are too big at the moment (I'm 23). I really would love one... :D

Lance, my friend in motoring and pilot of the 'cruise ship' (he said it, not me) that is the Citroen C5... my MkII Golf GTi restoration project has not gone away (you know). :D

:) you can tell the wife that I did manage to get the smell out of the car after the 7 days on the road during the "Cache O'The North". It did take an afternoon and a "New Car Smell" tree, as well as a trip to the car wash but now she looks loverly again. :)

As for a used VW... you see, they're not madly reliable cars either - don't believe everything you hear. Considering one as a used car for geocaching... I looked at a 1995 MkIII Golf Estate for a bargain price - but the basic spec is very poor - the 1.4 CL didn't even have power steering, and the 1.4 barely gets 60bhp out. Space it may have, but it won't tug 5 lads and equipment into North Wales. In fact, only the GL/GT/GTi/VR6 versions have anything decent in them... and there's the insurance hike again.

A Citroen diesel was on the shortlist, the engine and mpg is supposed to be fascinating, but as The Hokesters say, doubts hang over the car itself. As for the Ford Focus, they start at £3,000 (1999) and I dare say, are just a bit too mundane for me. I have driven them and am always suprised, particularly by the handling and especially the zetec engined ones.

mattwaggie - a Pug GTi would be just lovely - they're going cheap too. Sadly, it would have to be a 1.9 and the insurance is crazy on it. And you'd have to either chain it down or fit an aftermarket immobiliser and alarm. Me, I'd go for a Fiat Uno Turbo. Just for the noise.

So... you're probably curious as to what I'm hankering after... well, I'm not sure yet. :D It'll all come down to whether I can wedge the GPS between dash and windscreen.

ok this'll sound daft but i'm 6'7'' and until recently drove.......a mini (not that bmw parentless offspring the classic)

with seat extention brackets it's roomier than most modern cars as it has no dashboard or console etc. you can get the older ones cheaply, parts easily available great little cars with loads of character. dirt cheap insurance the list goes on.

i could go on but you either love em or hate em.

ok this'll sound daft but i'm 6'7'' and until recently drove.......a mini (not that bmw parentless offspring the classic)

with seat extention brackets it's roomier than most modern cars as it has no dashboard or console etc. you can get the older ones cheaply, parts easily available great little cars with loads of character. dirt cheap insurance the list goes on.

i could go on but you either love em or hate em.

I'm 6/4" and drove a mini and mini van for years.

The 1973 saloon I pretty much cut my teeth on in the maintenance and repair side of things. The car looked good when I bought it for 60 pound, but was held together with newspaper and filler (I wondered how water was leaking thru solid metal). The car was truly solid after I finished but by looks you couldn't tell. After 2 years of me using and abusing, my gf used it for another 4 years to travel the 50 miles to college and back each day.

It had been written off 3 times and bought back from the insurance company during these years. All rear end shunts including one from a Newport corporation bus. The car was 4 inches shorter than most mini and with a rather flat bum.

The 1974 mini van is another story and I still got it stored as I haven't the heart to get rid of it even though it hasn't been road legal for nearly 10 years.

As said, "you either love em or hate em", its a character car. Most mini owners have knuckle scars to bare. You not a man unless you have changed the bottom hose of a mini's A-series engine.

Yes the French Derv engine is the best around for that money however it is attached to a piece of over engineered crap.

Now come on Simon, say what you mean, don't be shy! ;)

In the end, I bought my car to please me, not to impress or please anybody else. Citroens seem to do okay in rally competitions though (and Peugeots)

The Peug 306/7 and ZX share the same floropan, chassis, engines, gearbox and suspension. The Pug has better brakes. Cit/Peug are the same company. There are an awful lot of similarities with the ZX and Xantia components too, so that they are very closely related.

As to longevity, on the Cit forum which I read there are PLENTY of long lived ZXs around (and before that, BXs). Look at the older cars on the road and see what you can spot, that's a good gauge. Plenty of J and K reg Zxs still driving about and looking smart. Don't see many Fiats of equivalent age, and where oh where have those legions of V*xhall Cavaliers gone?

Not sure what I would get next when I get rid of the ZX, but 307's are on the list (although reliability issues with later one electronic gizmos).

Edited by Alibags
Citroens seem to do okay in rally competitions though (and Peugeots)

I doubt you'll find even one part, let alone panel that the rally cars share with their road going brethren.

The reason I wouldn't buy a Citroen used is that one of my friends dad's had one of those ones (I can never remember the letters) where the whole car sits down at the back, then rises when you drive off and all that.

That suspension gave them so much trouble. One morning he came out to find the car sitting about 2 inches off the ground, then slipped on his backside in the fluid that had leaked all over the drive. The car went off the day after, never to return.

I would however consider a Peugeot 106, they're nice cars. Or a used 406 if I could get one at a right price.

OK jumping back in with tin hat on; <_<

Trust me Alison - I know what I am talking about. There are as many cavaliers of D reg age as there are Zx's of K reg age. Plus Klaus was talking about spending £1,500, these cars wouldn't raise £500. The biggest problem with them is getting one that has been looked after. If they are well cared for, serviced regularly, etc then they are very good (pre airbag models only). The derv ones are definitely the best.

The petrol ZX does have a problem with the throttle potentiometer at around 80k miles which can set you back £300 ish making it generally uneconomical to repair and they all eat driveshafts at £100 a side. Sure you can get parts second hand but that means the parts have already done some work and generally you are buying into more problems down the road (forgive the pun). Oh and pray that you do not get any coolant problems because the head gaskets blow at a couple of degrees above normal - once gone they generally only last 20k miles before blowing again.

They don't tend to rot though! Of the ten ZX's I have run and the four that belong to customers I have repaired seven off side rear window winding mech's - now that is a characteristic fault! ;)

Ok back to Klaus's suggestion - Land Rover is a good idea as a cache mobile Klaus. Perhaps consider a vintage one which would be road tax free and £1,500 should get you a decent well looked after one. However you fall over on Motorway comfort and fuel consumption particularly if you rule out Diesel - all of which were in your criteria! Suzuki jeeps although I am loathed to recommend would give you 4x4, better motorway comfort and better fuel economy although you will have to put up with your mates making jokes about hairdressers, etc! ;)

P.S. Citroen ZX's are the same as the Pug 306. Parts are generally transferrable too.

Edited by The Hokesters

Ok it's the moment you've all been waiting for... I'm coming closer to a wishlist

I'm considering getting two cars for the cash.

One is the £1000 - £1200 pound option of a Fiat Bravo HLX. Now before you all start moaning about Fiats, I'd opt for the Bravo before a Golf or Astra of similar vintage. The HLX has a 115bhp 1.8 engine which may sound thirsty but can average 30mpg combined and high 30s on long runs. The HLX also has great spec (some with aircon as standard, heated seats, great ergonomics) and is rock-bottom on the used-car market. I'm not too worried about selling it on, that won't be for a while.

I don't want too big a car and need something with a decent size engine for long trips but prefer hatch-size cars. There's lots of room in Bravo's for the class of car.

Now don't all rave on about Fiat's being crap - because they're not! First hand evidence, several friends and colleagues - and cachers - that are Fiat owners suggest otherwise. You do need to have a sense of humour and be prepared to do some DIY from time to time, but FIRE series engines are safe.

So that takes care of the long runs, the need to haul the aforementioned 5 people to an event or towards a mountain, and that leaves the second motor.

I think I'll plump for bargain-basement Rover 100. We (Klaus23 and Mrs) owned an Austin Metro before the Punto and although it was little more than a rusty shed when it went to the great scrapyard in the sky I fell in love with what at times felt like little more than a road-legal go cart. It would have to be the K-Series 1.4, the trim depends on what we find. I know they have coolant problems and possible head gasket failure, but that's down to service history and proactive maintenance.

Of course, the Rover can then be used for the smaller, economic, one man caching expeditions, haring over b-roads on a Sunday morning (the Fiat would be too fast for the task) ;)

Any thoughts, suggestions, alternatives to those two?

Anyone have comments on a Lada Cossak? I often fancy one of those as a battlebug instead of the expense of a landrover. I have seen a few for sale that are dual fuel converted.

Parkers Lada Niva Cossack Review

Certainly looks interesting - good for DIY, excellent off-road and tough.

I checked the autotrader (nationally) but there's none listed.

Seriously though, it seems like a good used buy.

A "cult" following means knowledge is freely avaliable (there's a German owners club if you google "Lada Niva")

Any thoughts, suggestions, alternatives to those two?

If you are thinking of those two then whats the point in asking for opinions? <_<

Its easy as far as I see it Fiat = crap, expensive parts (Exhaust back box £250+). I have yet to have a brava/o pass an MOT! That speaks for itself.

Rover 100 = metro. If you have had one before then you know what you are letting yourself in for and I thought you had dissed citroens for having hydrolastic suspension?

D'oh! ;)

Anyone have comments on a Lada Cossak? I often fancy one of those as a battlebug instead of the expense of a landrover. I have seen a few for sale that are dual fuel converted.

Parkers Lada Niva Cossack Review

Certainly looks interesting - good for DIY, excellent off-road and tough.

I checked the autotrader (nationally) but there's none listed.

Seriously though, it seems like a good used buy.

A "cult" following means knowledge is freely avaliable (there's a German owners club if you google "Lada Niva")

4 cossack on ebay ~ probably not the best place to buy a car ?

ebay cossacks

As said, "you either love em or hate em", its a character car. Most mini owners have knuckle scars to bare. You not a man unless you have changed the bottom hose of a mini's A-series engine.

Bottom hose. tch tch. That's easy compared to the bypass hose between the head and water pump on older minis ( A series engines ). You either had to fit the flexible one that burst regularly as it was too flexible, or lift the head to fit the proper one ;)

Re : Bravo/a . Avoid the faster 5 cylinder HGT model. Changing the cam belt is an engine out job and very expensive. This job is often avoided owing to the cost and is therefore a big risk.

Edit : re Rover 100/metro : Bear in mind that car did spectacularly badly in the Euro NCAP crash tests.

Edited by Roberts-tribe
4 cossack on ebay ~ probably not the best place to buy a car

Hehe - I have a customer who just bought a Kia Sedona on eBay £3,000 cheaper than anywhere else.

However after less than 500 miles it looks like he is going to have to overhaul the engine which will probably cost getting on for £4,000 on one of those!

Some people never take advice!

Bottom hose. tch tch. That's easy compared to the bypass hose between the head and water pump on older minis ( A series engines ). You either had to fit the flexible one that burst regularly as it was too flexible, or lift the head to fit the proper one ;)

LOL I had blocked that bypass hose job like a repressed memory. Least that wasn't a regular job.

Bottom hose. tch tch.  That's easy compared to the bypass hose between the head and water pump on older minis ( A series engines ).  You either had to fit the flexible one that burst regularly as it was too flexible, or lift the head to fit the proper one <_<

I love the A series engine but the bypass hose was a spectacular piece of bad design. ;)

Edit : re Rover 100/metro : Bear in mind that car did spectacularly badly in the Euro NCAP crash tests.

I think it did tolerably well for what is essentially a late seventies design (with an updated engine and suspension).