Geocachers And Ferrets

Crystal Sound

I've been reading posts in the forums and noted a number of geocachers (including myself) own ferrets.

I've noticed that there are similarities between the two hobbies. Our furry friends tend to steal things and hide them, thus sending us searching or finding things hidden away somewhere. Similarly, our online friends hide things that we all search for. :yikes:

To keep this on-topic: Do any of the ferret owners here, take them caching with you? (Suitable weather & conditions, provided!)

Edited by Crystal Sound
Is there a ferret hunting season?

I heard there is in England... they use the ferrets to hunt rabbits :laughing: . It involves putting nets over all the entrances to the rabbit holes except one and sending the ferret in the last entrance, hence scaring the rabbit into the net.

If you meant hunting ferrets :yikes: , then you are out of luck as the only wild species, the black footed ferret (a not-so-close cousin of the domestic ferret), is almost extinct. Go hunt rabbits instead, they're edible at least (I still haven't figured why people hunt things they can't eat).

I find it weird how so many US States made ferret ownership illegal by saying it is a wild animal, considering that species doesn't even exist in the wild.

They are legal in Quebec (and most of Canada I believe), no special permit required. I used to own two, but they died recently. They are really lovable pets, but sadly have a short life expectancy (about half that of a cat). They do teach you to search for the things they hide, but also for them... you never know where they will go. And I've never found a harness that could stop them from escaping if they wanted too, so bringing them outside was not an option.

I'm sure ferrets could be trained to find caches... if you do it, we want to see pictures!

Edited by The red-haired witch

I have 2 ferrets and have never taken them caching with me before. I have taken them for walks, and they really seem to enjoy it. Since we live in Texas, and ferrets don't have the ability to sweat, they don't get to go outside unless its cold. In Texas that seems to last only about a month! Maybe when it gets colder I'll bring them with me. I'm sure they'd love it, considering they're already good at finding things they aren't suppose to and hiding them from me! If I ever take them with me, I'll certainly post pictures for people to see.