Deer Season

Fergus

I don't know about the rest of the country, but deer season opens this weekend here in Maryland. If you go geocaching in an area that people might be hunting in wear safety orange. Also, you might try cache hunting later in the day. Most of the deer hunters I know like to hunt in the early morning houres.

Whether people realize it or not, there is a lot more hunting going on than just deer season. I was looking at New Jersey's game code and there are only a handfull of months where there is NOT hunting. There are seasons for deer, small game, upland bird, wild turkey, bear, waterfowl, migratory bird and even seasons that specify the type of weapon used including bow, shotgun and muzzleloader. I'm sure its similar in most states.

So its wise to be carefull anytime you're in the woods where hunting is allowed and considering the number of times I've encountered hunters where they aren't allowed, you should be careful all the time.

We all need to be careful of hunters any time of the year. One on;y has to turn on the local news to realize what can happen when you stumble upon a hunter that isn't supposed to be there! There are several cachers around here that disable and remove their caches that are in hunting areas during hunting season.

Whether people realize it or not, there is a lot more hunting going on than just deer season. I was looking at New Jersey's game code and there are only a handfull of months where there is NOT hunting. There are seasons for deer, small game, upland bird, wild turkey, bear, waterfowl, migratory bird and even seasons that specify the type of weapon used including bow, shotgun and muzzleloader. I'm sure its similar in most states.

Yep.... use DOUBLE caution for opening days of popular seasons!!

For Iowa that means much of the free time in the month of December, because 3 of four weekends fall inside deer shotgun seasons ( 4-8 and 11-19). The other one is a muzzleloader and bow season (which runs total for like 2 1/2 months).

We all need to be careful of hunters any time of the year. One on;y has to turn on the local news to realize what can happen when you stumble upon a hunter that isn't supposed to be there! There are several cachers around here that disable and remove their caches that are in hunting areas during hunting season.

We have to keep things in perspective here. While its a great idea to take precautions like wearing orange and generally be aware of your surroundings, accidental shootings of non-hunters by hunters are extremely rare. The vast majority of hunting accidents are hunter on hunter and in most cases they are companions hunting together and a gun drops and discharges, or they mistake their buddy for a turkey.

The recent news story is a case of murder plain and simple. Not a hunting accident.

The recent news story is a case of murder plain and simple.

And a very strange one, at that.

I never worry about it hiking in the woods. I'm a leeetle more nervous if I hear shots when I'm walking in open field, though, just in case somebody isn't paying good attention to his backstop. But, as you say, I can't recall any accident in my area between a hunter and someone not of his own hunting party.

Most of the deer hunters I know like to hunt in the early morning houres.

Yes, during firearm deer season be especially cautious during dusk and dawn. As briansnat already pointed out, the chances of being a victim are rare, however accidents do happen and this is one accident you don't want to be involved with.

The recent news story is a case of murder plain and simple. Not a hunting accident.

Slightly OT: Definitely not a hunting accident. But c'mon BS, don't you think it's a bit premature to declare it "murder plain and simple"? The man hasn't even been charged yet, and as far as I know, he hasn't made a public statement about his side of the story. All the facts certainly haven't been gathered yet.

Maybe it will eventually be determined to be murder, but not yet.

Slightly OT: Definitely not a hunting accident. But c'mon BS, don't you think it's a bit premature to declare it "murder plain and simple"? The man hasn't even been charged yet, and as far as I know, he hasn't made a public statement about his side of the story. All the facts certainly haven't been gathered yet.

This seems pretty cut-and-dried to me:

According to sheriff's officials, two members of a hunting party spotted Vang sitting in a deer stand on a private estate close to the town of Birchwood, and told him he was on private property and that he needed to leave.

Vang came out of the stand and appeared to be walking away when he turned around and allegedly opened fire on the pair, officials and news reports said.

One injured hunter managed to radio back to friends and family at a nearby camp for help, but others who answered the call also came under fire, officials said.

What could his side possibly be? "They were very rude when they asked me to leave"?

Yep, its possible the dead hunters fired the first shot. The suspect was apparently trespassing so maybe the dead guys fired a shot to scare the suspect out of the tree or to scare him off the property. Right now we only have the victim's side of the story ...

OK, lets call it homicide then. Yeah, its possible it was self defense, but common sense tells you that if the 7 hunters were there with their guns trained on this one guy he'd have been dead after he squeezed off the first shot. The victims were apparently either un-armed, carrying unloaded weapons, or totally taken unaware with their guns not at ready.Or the guy in the tree stand was carrying something other than your basic hunting rifle.

True all the facts aren't in, but I'm not a juror so I have a right to jump to conclusions.

...common sense tells you...

Your common sense assumptions differ from mine.

The man is Hmong. He moved to the U.S. from Laos ~20 years ago. He has been in the army. He was carrying a semi-automatic weapon when he was arrested. He appears old enough to have been at least a teenager during the Vietnam era. So common sense tells me he may have received special training and acquired at least some experience in dealing with large numbers of armed adversaries. Therefore, I won't jump to conclusions about the beginning of the confrontation based solely on the outcome. But neither will I try any more to prevent you from doing so. :yikes:

Edited by worldtraveler
I dreamed last night I shot a moose in my bed. And I don't hunt.

What was a Moose doing in your bed?!

/Groucho

No, I mean it really was in my bed.

I went out hunting early in the morning, because that's the time I knew you found moose, and I came back empty-handed and sad to discover the moose (it was a...do moose have does? It was a doe) was lying across my bed like saddlebags, sound asleep. And I thought, "well, that figures. It's morning."

I picked up the handgun on my nightstand quietly, so as not to wake her, and I squeezed the trigger. And I squeezed and squeezed, but the hammer never fell. So I took out the shot-shell I had in there (no, I don't know why. Dreaming of snakes?) and replaced it with a bullet, and it fired and killed the moose.

Then I woke up and came downstairs and read all about the wonderful world of geocaching on the forums (just to wander back to someplace in the general vicinity of the topic).

Don't you hate it when people tell you their dreams?

A freind of mine shot and killed his uncle while moose hunting (snowy day in Northern Ontario). There was a big investigation and it was ruled an accident. The only penalty was that my friend lost his hunting license for three years. The real penalty? He will spend the rest of his life thinking about it. The good news? I don't think he is into Geocaching!

Elk season is in effect in CO, so I just put on an orange hat and climb the hill.

In Colorado, your required to wear an orange vest and hat if you re hiking within a hunting area, such as a national forest, during gun season. Be safe out there and at least carry a whistle to blow if you get shot at. Personally, I stear clear of all hunting areas, until after the seasons are over. I've been shot at before, and it's rather scarry to say the least.

This seems pretty cut-and-dried to me:

According to sheriff's officials, two members of a hunting party spotted Vang sitting in a deer stand on a private estate close to the town of Birchwood, and told him he was on private property and that he needed to leave.

Vang came out of the stand and appeared to be walking away when he turned around and allegedly opened fire on the pair, officials and news reports said.

One injured hunter managed to radio back to friends and family at a nearby camp for help, but others who answered the call also came under fire, officials said.

What could his side possibly be? "They were very rude when they asked me to leave"?

Considering he was Hmong, mabe he thought they were VC.

When I was a kid I used to destroy these hunting stands and feeding devices.

I would still do it if I had a chance. Hunting the the worst leisure activity human have invented.

Edited by geotrouvetout

I would still do it if I had a chance. Hunting the the worst leisure activity human have invented.

Yeah...Whatever :laughing:

In both cases, I see it as a lack of proper upbringing.

We all need to be careful of hunters any time of the year.  One on;y has to turn on the local news to realize what can happen when you stumble upon a hunter that isn't supposed to be there!  There are several cachers around here that disable and remove their caches that are in hunting areas during hunting season.

We have to keep things in perspective here. While its a great idea to take precautions like wearing orange and generally be aware of your surroundings, accidental shootings of non-hunters by hunters are extremely rare. The vast majority of hunting accidents are hunter on hunter and in most cases they are companions hunting together and a gun drops and discharges, or they mistake their buddy for a turkey.

As if to prove briansnat's statment, this came out in the news today in Rochester

Hunter killed in crossfire :)

And in many places you would be guilty of either a Felony or a Gross Misdemeanor, face some stiff fines, jail time, or even lose your right to vote.

Or the guy in the tree stand was carrying something other than your basic hunting rifle.

Just for the record, many, many folks hunt with an SKS (myself included, before I sold mine). In one news report I read, they even staed that it was a common rifle for hunting in that area.

I think the biggest misunderstanding there was the hunter, having a communist upbringing, was not familiar with "private property". Everything in a communist country is, well, communal. (Same reason early settlers were about to "trade" Native Americans beads for huge tracts of land) This would stand as to why he got angry at the land owners trying to make him leave.

hmmm... Hunting Geocaches is the BEST leisure activity invented. Lets get to work on converting these beast slayers into mcToy seekers.

I am visiting some inlaws over this holiday and one of them is a serious hunter. So far he has been too busy hunting deer to come along on a tupperwear hunt. I think deer rifle season ends today down here in MO, so maybe I can get him out caching tomorrow...if he isn't too busy cleaning his deer and polishing his rifles.

I think the biggest misunderstanding there was the hunter,  having a communist upbringing,

Do you really know who the Hmong's are. I spent many a month in the bush with them putting commies to eternal rest. They are a very special people, who the commies oppresed to great extremes. And for you to say they have a communistic upbringing is just plain noise from an empty cranium..

Just give these people a break that they really deserve. There is too much trouble in this world to dwell on some tragic event. Let it be, and leave it up to the authorities to solve this problem.

I think the moderators should just close to post and get back to caching.

So you probably wouldn't have a problem with someone destroying your/our caches...after all, it's what they want to do. :laughing:

Tis a sad deer season in Wisconsin...

This shouldn't have happened to either side in this tragic event.

BUT...BOTH sides to this crime were in the wrong.

What's a shame was my son went deer hunting for the first time this year and this now has made a negative impression on him(he's worried) and his cousin(also along for his first deer season)

As with all things in life this to shall pass...

They are/have set up a fund for the families of those that were injured or killed.

Yes i hunt as you can tell... BUT i also geocache...

Please use common sense and were bright clothes, avoid early mornings/ late afternoons. Make some noise if your in a area where you think there are hunters( i will not get upset, most times you dont know they are there...humans don't look up)

Cache smart!! Have a safe year!!!

Edited by Team Venom

I don't know about where you live, but in Ontario interfering with the hunting process is ILLEGAL!

I hope you impression of hunting can be changed somehow and hopefully not by some beautiful bambi flying through your windshield and needlessly ending someone's life.

Car accident's aside, when natural predation no longer exists, these beautfiul animals die horrible miserable deaths of starvation and disease.

I would never shoot anything I wouldn't eat and the venison in my freezer is 100% pesticide free and 100% steroid free too!

Mike

I am guessing that you are a vegetarian and such since most animals raised for sale in supermarkets and such are generally given a much more cruel death. Hunting is a great sport and it is what got me into this sport of geocaching. I was using my GPS to map out my deer lease as it is very large and now I am getting into this. Have found several caches (haven't logged any but I am going to be doing that starting with the next one) and I love it. I am looking forward to finding some caches near where I hunt while on weekend hunting trips as it is 6 1/2 hours away! Should be some good times in the middle of the day when I am not hunting! Anyway, I don't know what your beef is with hunting, but it sounds misguided.

I have one thing to say about this........

If you cacheing near me you dont have to worry about me shooting you. After spending close to 26 weekends in the woods hunting whatever the season is open for three years straight, I'd never point my rifle, bow or whatever at a target/object that I was not hunting...........

buck_2004_02.jpg

I havent purchased over 5lbs of beef in the last 4 years. I guess you could say I'm supporting the vegaterians out there in a way...

Given that statement. I wear orange when I know other hunters are in the vicinity. My upbringing was definetely not there upbringing or yours.. Is wearing orange a overkill, heck yes it is. To me its like drving a abrahams tank to work cause your worried about drunk drivers.. Sure your not gonna get hurt if your hit in a tank but is it really necassary? Probably not. Same with hunter orange. Sure its not needed.. 99.9% of hunting accidents involves people hunting. In fact I've never heard of a story of a bystander, geocacher, hiker, logger etc getting shot.

So really if your gonna be caching in the woods during hunting season, as long as your not wearing horns and a elk or deer fur coat, the odds are so slim that I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. Like many have said, your gonna get killed by a drunk driver, driving to your cache hunt before a hunter even points a gun at you let alone was to shoot at you.....

Its a wasted argument and just fuels the anti's if you ask me.....

Oh yea and the wisconsin situation.. Here's the link to a the arresting officers police report.. http://www.startribune.com/style/news/news...hooting1123.pdf

Read it and make your own conclusion from his statement to the police.

After you read it you'll know my opinion as it will be the same as yours!!!! 4 of the were unarmed, one beggin for his life, and others shot in the back!!!!

Edited by top pin