Earthcaches In The Uk

Alibags

I have a degree in geology, so the idea of earthcaches appeals to me. I can think of several places that would be ideal locations for geocaches in the UK. I have read the topics on the rest of the GC site and I am none the wiser about how somebody in the UK could set about setting a cache page up for one and getting it approved.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the link, that seems to do the trick. If you search for earthcache as a keyword on geocaching.com it finds a single page of them. Some of these are also in the linked page above, so obviously there is a link between the two web sites. In other words, if you were to find one you would get a new icon on your profile page! :yikes:

I will have to wait until I am somewhere geological with my GPS before getting the information to set one up, it's all mud and more mud down here, but then I think I will be submitting one and seeing what happens.

The Geological Society of London is a charity, charities have rules and they have three, number 2 is

(ii) promoting all forms of education, awareness and understanding of the Earth and their practical applications for the benefit of the public globally; and

Cool, that means that they should have an open mind to this.

My impression is that to be an earthcache the cache has to approved by the local geological body.

There are earthcaches in Norway and the such, I'll see how they were approved

I am afraid I have to furhter clarify (confuse :yikes: ) the matter.

As far as I can see our (Lactodorum's and mine) required policy on earthcaches is not to approve them, but to place them on hold for Jeremy at Groundspeak to review and accept/decline under an agreement with geoaware. (It seems that geoaware is the owner of all earthcaches, the setters name appearing on the cache page in the "set by" slot.)

I believe that some earthcaches have been on hold for qjuite a while.

More information than this, that you have not been made of already, I do not at this moment have.

Eckington

As far as I can see our (Lactodorum's and mine) required policy on earthcaches is not to approve them, but to place them on hold for Jeremy at Groundspeak to review and accept/decline under an agreement with geoaware.

I didn't think they were generally available. They don't show up as an option when you choose the type of cache from the drop down.

It's a pity though as we have some great candidates in the UK. The Knotty Ash Jam Butty Mines is one that springs to mind. :rolleyes::yikes::laughing:

I didn't think they were generally available. They don't show up as an option when you choose the type of cache from the drop down.

No I think you have to make your application to this geoware character, he sets up the cache page (HE can access the cachetype icon for earth caches I suppose) and, for a UK cache, sends it to the Q for me (or L) to put on hold for Jeremy to accept/decline as he gets round to it.......................... :yikes:

No I think you have to make your application to this geoware character, he sets up the cache page (HE can access the cachetype icon for earth caches I suppose) and, for a UK cache, sends it to the Q for me (or L) to put on hold for Jeremy to accept/decline as he gets round to it.......................... :rolleyes:

I see now. Doesn't really seem worth the bother, does it? :yikes::laughing:

i'm into geology aswell (a level but just starting open uni degree) and had thought about setting one of these up. trouble being decideing which bit of the dorset coast to visit as most of it would count!

it might just be easier to set up normal caches in the best locations and just mention the geology in the description as it seems dadgum complicated to get the earthcache approval.

it might just be easier to set up normal caches in the best locations and just mention the geology in the description as it seems dadgum complicated to get the earthcache approval.

yessss, but I want an additonal icon on my profile!!! :laughing:

You won't get the icon on your profile, that's the problem :ph34r:

ok the easiest solution is i'll set one up near lulworth cove as i've thought about for a while. then if someone else sets up another at say kimmeridge or osmington mills we can all get the markers.

you do mine i do yours and so on.

thoughts??

That's not a bad idea at all.... the South Coast can be an Earthcache Mecca for the UK ;)