What Is A Rivet?

Team Tayjam

Tayjam,

Can you provide the PID so I can read the description? Without any more to go on than a wag, I am assuming rivets on steel bridge work.. Mui Big Rivet. Thumb sized. and lots of em'... They leave a good sized bump and last as long as the steel stays put. Old school steel work all that.

Rob

I recovered a very old USLS rivet in a building. It was copper and about 1/4 inch diameter and was hollow in center.

RK0115 HISTORY - Date Condition Recov. By

RK0115 HISTORY - 1876 MONUMENTED CGS

RK0115 HISTORY - 1948 GOOD NGS

RK0115 HISTORY - 1975 GOOD NOS

RK0115 HISTORY - 1985 GOOD NGS

RK0115 STATION RECOVERY (1985)

RK0115

RK0115''RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1985

RK0115''RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION. A NEW DESCRIPTION FOLLOWS. IN

RK0115''MARQUETTE, AT THE INTERSECTION OF MAIN STREET AND LAKE SHORE

RK0115''BOULEVARD, A COPPER RIVET IN THE NORTH FACE OF THE STONE FOUNDATION AT

RK0115''THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE JOHN WETING ARCHITECT OFFICE BUILDING,

RK0115''11.1 M (36.4 FT) SOUTH OF THE CENTER OF THE STREET, 9.9 M (32.5 FT)

RK0115''WEST OF THE CENTER OF THE BOULEVARD, AND 0.4 M (1.3 FT) WEST OF THE

RK0115''NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE BUILDING. NOTE--THE LETTERS USBM ARE

RK0115''INSCRIBED IN THE STONE. THE POINT LEVELED IS A HOLE IN THE CENTER OF

RK0115''THE RIVET.

RK0115''THE MARK IS 1.0 M ABOVE THE SIDEWALK.

Edited by elcamino
Tayjam,

Can you provide the PID so I can read the description?  Without any more to go on than a wag,  I am assuming rivets on steel bridge work.. Mui Big Rivet.  Thumb sized. and lots of em'...  They leave a good sized bump and last as long as the steel stays put.  Old school steel work all that.

Rob

Here's a link to the one I was referring to. (Sorry, I'm not sure what a PID is). Rivet Link

Hi Tayjam

The rivet will likely appear like the one in the photo submitted by holograph. (thanks Holograph, :-) )

The PID is a term coined by the National Geodetic Survey. They are the agency which owns and supplies the data for the benchmarks... PID stands for Point ID. ID as in identification.

The one you linked to leads to a page titled Details for Benchmark: NK0390. The Number, NK0390 is the PID.

The rivet as I suspected is in an old steel bridge and was set by the railroad that built the bridge. It will look like the other rivets in the bridge only set into the concrete abutment, so as to mark a place of known elevation.

Since this is on a railroad bridge I would like to caution you. Railroad property is an inherently dangerous place. To add, I do not know if this bridge is still in active use or not, but I can tell you that railroads are severely not a good place to trespass post 9/11. They do not take kindly, their railroad security officers have federal authority and they can arrest and deal with you harshly. You are a terrorist until determined not to be. Permission must be obtained to access their properties and all railroad personnel are trained to be the eyes of security for the officers. The best plan to have when dealing with the railroads is to just hunt the other ones.

Rob

The PID is NK0390 and according to the datashoot that is a rivet. Do you have a photo of your find?

No, I didn't find this one yet. I was just trying to figure out exactly what I would be looking for if I chose to go look for this one. I've only found 2 so far, and I posted pics of both of them, but they were survey disks and not rivets.

Hi Tayjam

The rivet will likely appear like the one in the photo submitted by holograph.  (thanks Holograph, :-)  )

The PID is a term coined by the National Geodetic Survey.  They are the agency which owns  and supplies the data for the benchmarks...  PID stands for Point ID.  ID as in identification.

The one you linked to leads to a page titled Details for Benchmark: NK0390.  The Number, NK0390 is the PID. 

The rivet as I suspected is in an old steel bridge and was set by the railroad that built the bridge.  It will look like the other rivets in the bridge only set into the concrete abutment, so as to mark a place of known elevation.

Since this is on a railroad bridge I would like to caution you. Railroad property is an inherently dangerous place.  To add, I do not know if this bridge is still in active use or not, but I can tell you that railroads are severely not a good place to trespass post 9/11.  They do not take kindly, their railroad security officers have federal authority and they can arrest and deal with you harshly. You are a terrorist until determined not to be. Permission must be obtained to access their properties and all railroad personnel are trained to be the eyes of security for the officers.  The best plan to have when dealing with the railroads is to  just hunt the other ones.

Rob

Thanks to all for the responses, pics, and information.

Rob,

Thanks for your sound advice regarding hunting benchmarks near railroad tracks/bridges.