Which Is The Better Gps In Cover

ORsouthpaw

I'm looking at upgrading my old GPS (Magellan Colortrak). I've been checking out the Garmin 60CS, Garmin VistaC and the Magellan Meridian Color. They all look to be solid units good. I've heard that some of the Garmin's have issuses when in heavy tree cover? Currently I use my old Colortrak during hunting trips in the fall and hiking in the summer. This is almost always done exclusivly in heavy cover and I usually don't have too much trouble tracking down a decent signal, some times it takes longer then others but it has never left me without the way back to camp. Has there been enough improvments in GPS technology that results in any of the above units getting a better signal? or am I merely just updating the case around the technology?

I'm leaning towards the Garmin 60CS just because it's pretty. The problem is that the current deal on the Meridian Color includes:MapSend® DirectRoute™ software, 64 MB Secure Digital (SD) card, Vehicle mounting bracket, 12-volt cigarette lighter adapter/data cable, PC cable, and 2 "AA" batteries. The 60CS doesn't have any xtras and is more money. Is it really that much better? and is the screen on the Meridian really as bad as some on the forum say when compared? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

As far as basic reception goes, I doubt you'll see any difference in the reception between your colortrak and a Meridian, as the basic reception of the Magellan units hasn't really changed that I've been able to see since they first switched over to 12 channel. If anything, the detacable antenna on the old Colortraks may have been slightly better than the fixed ones in the Meridians and sportraks.

As far as the VistaC and 60 series, I personally haven't noticed a significant difference in reception between the two. The new color eTrex's seem to have boosted reception quite a bit. There seems to be a lot of opinions as to whether the 60 gets as good as reception as the Meridians however. If possible, I'd try to find someone in your local area than has the units you're interested in, and compare them both in the sort of terrain you'll be using them in. Maybe go caching with some locals. I've found that performance varies widely based on terrain and conditions, and what works good for one area might not be the best choice for where you'll be spending most of your time.

Thanks for the replys! I wish I could demo the units where I'll be using them but I am sure none of the retailers would be game for that. I'll have to depend on the feedback from the forum. I have held all three units (60CS, VistaC, Merdian Color) and I honestly like the VistaC the best because of its compactness. Although if it dosen't have the reception capability of the others I don't mind getting a bigger unit. Reception and accuracy are the primary issues. My Colortrak is huge but it has never been a problem carrying it in a daypack which is what I would do with either the 60CS or Meridian Color where as the VistaC could be placed in my shirt pocket.

The next question: Which of the units has the more accurate Topo support programs?

have held all three units (60CS, VistaC, Merdian Color) and I honestly like the VistaC the best because of its compactness. Although if it dosen't have the reception capability of the others I don't mind getting a bigger unit. Reception and accuracy are the primary issues

I have an eTrex Vista and use it under heavy tree cover all the time without a problem. The advantage that units with quad helix antennas have under leaves over the eTrex's patch antenna is so slight that it should not be a deal breaker. In fact, under some conditions the eTrex's patch antenna outperforms units with the quad helix.

If you like features and feel of the eTrex, go for it.

The 60C/CS is also a great unit. I picked one up recently and love it. I have no reception problems with it either. It does have an advantage over the eTrex. eTrex units have to be held flat, face up to the sky to get decent reception, meaning you have to hold it kind of like a waiter holding a tray of beer. This isn't an issue for short walks and cache hunts, but on long hikes it could be a pain. I solved the problem by buying the neoprene case and clipping it to the top of my pack's shoulder strap where it lays flat, but with the 60, I can clip it almost anywhere and still get reception.

Edited by briansnat