Coffee Break For Geocachers

Strohem

I have been thinking about this idea on and off for months now. I am thinking of hosting a "Coffee Break for Geocachers" in the next couple of months. I live in Indianapolis and see all of your names on the various caches I hunt. Some of us have met and some of us haven't...or if we have, we have been at large events where so much is going on it's really difficult to get to know one another.

I think it would be nice to meet once a month...every other month? at a local restaurant or coffee house to meet and greet, share stores and tales about caches and adventures.

I was thinking of holding these during the week night as a nice break from the hustle and bustle of work. Specific topics can be discussed, geocaching tips and hints can be traded, games can be played, prizes can be given, but most of all...we can simply meet in person and chat about what is going on in the world of geocaching.

Let me know your thoughts! Strohem <_<

It is a good idea. A lot of other nearby organizations -- INKY (Louisville area), LEGS (Illinois), ChicagoLand. the various Ohio groups -- have simple "meet & eat"s. These are official geocaching events however they are nothing fancy. Instead they are just a way to get together and chat. Especially with the colder weather and early nightfall cutting into our geocaching time having such events in Indy would probably attract a fair number of people.

Hey Torry (or any one else). You know what they say, "if you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the precipitate." [for the chemists; others would say problem] Anyway if Strohem is not stepping up to host the coffee break then why don't you organize it? I am willing to bet that Strohem would not mind and might actually be grateful.

I'd do it (and actually am, see GCKY2J slated for Feb.) except that being in Lafayette makes it hard to organize an Indy event. Naturally my personal preference is for a NW Indy site however any site would do. It just needs someone to take the initiative. The worst that can happen is that no one shows up while on the upside ... well, the possibilities are endless.

Edited by RPW

if you hold it, they will come...

it is erally that simple...

we hold our Cleveland coffee event near a major highway hub, which makes it relatively accessible to the east-siders, the west-siders, and the south-siders.... noone from the north side yet, but that's prolly just since mer-people can't survive on land too long <_<

and we keep getting good turnout...

so, someone just needs to step up and list the event, and cachers will show up.... (like the 42 that showed up on a weeknight for wings at Quaker Steak when some out of towners came by....

best of luck with getting some indiana coffee-events going.. :o

... but how could I send a "Sorry, I can't make it message" if I'm the one throwing the party? ...

Okay, then.... What about a Thursday night ... seven-ish ... Perhaps on the south side to stay away from the northside traffic? ... Maybe near Southern Plaza at US31 and I-465?

I'm in Plainfield (airport area) and I work at a winery. I could easily arrange a mid-week, kid friendly meeting with coffee and hors d'ouvres...and of course wine! :(:)

Hah! We have a winner! Where and when? I learned fom the wifey that Thursdays may not be so hot for us .. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday?

You guys come up with a date

Ugh. That is a receipe for getting nothing figured out. There are enough problems in establishing a date when a small group people are sitting around a table facing each other. Trying to arrange a date with a larger number of people only sporadically connected to each other via email and bulletin boards ... the mind shudders! We would be discussing this forever. My suggestion: just choose a date that is good for you the host. Make up an event cache. Whomever can make it will make it. Besides the chances are good anyway that we will have a traffic crippling snowfall on that day and thus any careful date planning will go down the tubes. <_<

BTW: Thanks very much for offering to host. Ever since I read Pip's encounter with you I have been wanting to get down to the winery and meet you in person.

I'm in Plainfield (airport area) and I work at a winery.  I could easily arrange a mid-week, kid friendly meeting with coffee and hors d'ouvres...and of course wine!  :P  :blink:

Wine? That's a 3 hour drive from Chicago...but it might be worth it :P

For a chicken in silk stockings and a garter belt on Tuesday, I'd gladly pay you a bottle of cab on Friday! :P:P:blink:

Gee whiz! It is the Christmas holiday and I've had just a few other things to do. Sorry to hold everybody up. It sounds like you guys have something going for Tuesday nights....which, is the only night I can't make it. I'll watch for a posting and see if I can work something out.

Strohem

I will not be able to attend "Free Coffee" this week. I have just too going on this week that a drive down to Indy and back (60+ miles per leg) on Tuesday is just not feasible. I hope that the upcoming event is well attended and that you will schedule another one in the future.

I will not be able to attend "Free Coffee" this week. I have just too going on this week that a drive down to Indy and back (60+ miles per leg) on Tuesday is just not feasible. I hope that the upcoming event is well attended and that you will schedule another one in the future.

Dang it! That's my job! I'm supposed to post the regrets comments ... sheesh.

It was a great get-together last night for free coffee at Sept1ctank's workplace. The event was held at Chateau Thomas Winery in Plainfield, Indiana just west of Indy and included a lot of coffee some wine tasting, crackers, some more wine, beef jerky, some more wine, cheese, some more wine, pretzels, wine, grapes, and wine. .. and some more wine.

Got to see the actual pressing and fermentation and blending rooms plus the aging barrels and a lot of wine and some more wine.

Met a lot of cachers and tasted some more wine and got to put some faces with the names in the logs and drink some wine with the faces . Tasted wine with Sept1ctank who pours very generously and is partial to a tasty Gewurztraminer that I must confess is very nice straight out of the bottle while hiding behind the coat rack.

AmishHacker was there but not tasting wine which was fortunate because it meant they kept filling his class and looking away at opportune moments. Also little Katie and Rupert2 were on hand and decidedly non-alcoholic. Katie is also underaged but had fake ID and was able to score me a few glasses when bribed with some left-over Burger King toys. Rupert2 wasn;t too happy and took umbrage with my antics but had to put them back when IndyKenn pointed out that they were really borrowed umbrages and not mine. Katie was cool until the PrairiePartners forced her to rat me out for leaving something in Poppagoth's coat pocket while it hung on the coat rack.

Also met Muirwoody who tried to corner me and reclaim his glass of wine that I was tasting from in the back room along with the tray of Pinot Noir samples that the wine lady left just sitting out on the table. Indy Diver didn't have any wine at all which created a problem as he wouldn't set a pick for me as I tried to dodge Muirwoody's attempts to reclaim his glass. Team J& K got into the act by climbing onto a rack of very nice and once very expensive magnums of Bordeaux and Cabernets which unfortunately wasn't rated for the weight sending he nice couple careening on top of Cache Commando who immediately blamed one of the MaynOnes for the incident and was taken down by a flying drop kick from Ten's Mom who will figure later in the story.

A great time was had by the dozens of others who I vaguely remember including Ten's Mom who was threatening to dance on the tables with Deermark offering to tuck until I pointed out that she might spill her wine and Sept1ctank mentioned the damage deposit and started a search for the missing tray of Pinot Noir and trying to figure out who left the "present" in the punch bowl which wasn't me because by then I was wrestling for stemware with Muirwoody in a corner and we hardly damaged as many bottles as Sept1ctank said we damaged and how can he say that the stuff was REALLY worh over $75 a bottle when they didn't even have any price stickers on the bottles and not all of them were really broken when we knocked over the display anyways? The Nomads were most upset over the failed dance show as they had brought their tap shoes and were wanting to show us all the routine that brought down the house back home. Forunately Stroohem was on hand to demonstrate why she wanted a peaceful gathering to begin with and if we all didn't get peaceful real quick she was going to unload a big can of "WhoopAss" on all of us. Since she was easily outweighed by the Oldtimers and Qtip there was no problem getting her into the cheese cooler where I think she may still be chattering and cheddaring even as we speak since the cooler ended up covered by the table that Attila the Hun was using as an emergency corkscrew.

Well, this crowd of sheep was on hand only no one was certain whose sheep they were or if Amish Hacker and The Wright Brothers brought dates. The sheep were polite enough if a tad RAMbunctious and proceeded to leave little sheepy presents all over the nice, but now damp carpet. Sep1ctank finally got fed up with them and spent much of the evening woolgahering and hooking up the ShopVac which he made me use to soak up the wine that was puddling nicely underfoot. Well, 2qwerqe got scared when she heard the ShopVac fire up because she was having flashbacks to her teen-age years afer a few glasses of something red and sweet and she jumped into the barbarian's lap who was totally flabbergasted. Flabbergastery is illegal in Plainfield and the lost Vermonters got on their cell phones to report the blatant flabbergastic act only to be stopped by WCNut and Tater who had seen far worse at the Jeffersonville Sportsdrome and couldn't believe that those "crazy Yankees" would have the gall to call in the coppers for somehing as minor as flabbergastery especially in light of the "floor show" that N&B were puting on with the one sheep that Sept1ctank lost track of.

Anyways ... the damage wasn't that bad and the ShopVac cleaned up much of the mess quite handily but the wine did taste a tad "dusty" when I took the cannister into the warehouse to clean it. I found a handy electric drill that worked great on oak barrels but Sept1ctank came in at just the wrong time because Dr. Thomas who owns the winery was watching the security cacmers and knew that there were no warehouse people working THAT late and definitely none who were authorized to drill. So, there I was with a drill hidden behind my back and my little piggy tail stuck into the hole when Sept1ctank came in hollering and told me to leave but I couldn't 'cause then my tail would leave too and the wine would go shooting onto the floor and be wasted but he wasn't too synpathetic and the Plainfield Police Department was already there along with Dr. Thomas and three fellas from the local Power and Light company that happened to stop by when they heard the word on their scanner and had their hopes up which was fortunate since I was sent on my merry way without a field sobriety test which I promptly gave myself in the field next to the winery and onto a local power line which came down in a bright cascade of brilliant white sparks right onto the Power & Light guys' truck which burst merrily into flames and made the local morning news.

In the resulting chaos I was able to make my escape and since I was using Indy Diver's truck to get to the event he is still in Plainfield trying to explain that he wasn't driving but it was REALLY a 5'10" pig behind the wheel which means he won't be coming home any time soon. Muirwoody ended up with my wallet which will do hima lot of good especially if he gets picked up for the missing license plate that I needed to help get away in the Plainfield Police cruiser that was left conveniently parked next to the fire trucks. Indy Diver got Mountain Climber to post his bail but still can't get what's left of his truck until Dr. Thomas gets the rest of the damage deposit back that disappeared shortly after the power went out.

And a good time was had by all.