Travel Bugs Not In The Cache As Posted

Baxter-MD

On more than one occasion I have gone to a cache only to find that a TB that was supposed to be there was missing. Assuming that after looking at the log book you: (1) see that no one has been to the cache within the 7 or so days; and (2) you see no indication that the TB was taken by someone, should you post a note on the TB’s page noting that the TB seems to be missing? I know I would want to know if my TB seemed to go MIA, but was wondering what others thought.

On more than one occasion I have gone to a cache only to find that a TB that was supposed to be there was missing. Assuming that after looking at the log book you: (1) see that no one has been to the cache within the 7 or so days; and (2) you see no indication that the TB was taken by someone, should you post a note on the TB’s page noting that the TB seems to be missing? I know I would want to know if my TB seemed to go MIA, but was wondering what others thought.

If we go back to a cache we have found earlier, just to pick up or drop TBs, do we not normally write in the logbook. Why? To save space in the logbook!

In a few hours will the internet site be updated with the bug change anyway...

Making a note in your log about the presence, or absence, of any travel bugs is a good way of record keeping for the whole geocaching community. Especially if they are logged as being in the cache, and are missing. It could be they just aren't logged yet, but it might be they've gone missing. Anytime there is anything wrong with a cache, be it a full log book, cache is chewed up, bugs are missing, it's always nice to make a note in you online log and give the cache owner a heads up that maintenance may be needed. Check past logs in the book and online to see if the missing bug was mentioned as being picked up. A friendly reminder to the one who picked it up and forgot to log is always nice too.

I've been doing a roundup of dead bugs in caches in my area... doing a Pocket Query on caches with bugs, checking the last log of each bug, and then reading the logs of the caches where the bugs seem to have been sitting there for a long time. If I see "zzzzz TB is not in the cache", I add it to my dead bug list.

After I've done a sweep of all caches within a good 50 miles of me, I then will submit the list to Groundspeak... they will remove dead bugs from caches. Probably makes their job easier to have a nice list like that than individual emails.

This is kinda self-serving... I am looking for bugs that want to fly south with me on my next trip to SoCal, and dead bugs in caches throw off my search... might as well do something that helps others too. <_<

I've been doing a roundup of dead bugs in caches in my area... doing a Pocket Query on caches with bugs, checking the last log of each bug, and then reading the logs of the caches where the bugs seem to have been sitting there for a long time. If I see "zzzzz TB is not in the cache", I add it to my dead bug list.

After I've done a sweep of all caches within a good 50 miles of me, I then will submit the list to Groundspeak... they will remove dead bugs from caches. Probably makes their job easier to have a nice list like that than individual emails.

This is kinda self-serving... I am looking for bugs that want to fly south with me on my next trip to SoCal, and dead bugs in caches throw off my search... might as well do something that helps others too. :D

Thank you very much, Sparrowhawk! It's cachers like you that make this fun.

I've been doing a roundup of dead bugs in caches in my area... doing a Pocket Query on caches with bugs, checking the last log of each bug, and then reading the logs of the caches where the bugs seem to have been sitting there for a long time.  If I see "zzzzz TB is not in the cache", I add it to my dead bug list. 

After I've done a sweep of all caches within a good 50 miles of me, I then will submit the list to Groundspeak... they will remove dead bugs from caches.  Probably makes their job easier to have a nice list like that than individual emails. 

This is kinda self-serving... I am looking for bugs that want to fly south with me on my next trip to SoCal, and dead bugs in caches throw off my search...  might as well do something that helps others too.    B)

That is GREAT idea and a definite service! I know that we have gone to specific caches, even ones that we had already logged as a find, to get a particular bug and it's frustrating to find them gone...

<p>

Thanks Sparrowhawk! Hope you find one of our bugs soon!

Sparrowhawk: I do the same sort of thing. I typically go caching specifically to find TBs and it really annoys me when there's a TB listed on the page but it isn't in the cache. In the list you send to Groundspeak do you send them the cache ID or the TB ID? In the past I've just sent lists of waypoint IDs that have TBs listed but aren't in the cache. If I can include additional info that will make it easier on Groundspeak I'll gladly add it to my emails.

My frist TB was in its cache for a week be for someone email me saying its gone.

I though it was just siting there so I would like it if someone emailed me that way you know its not just siting there thinking it is just being past up.

My brand new geocoin ended up MIA just a day or two before I left it in a cache. And I have a real good idea who took it and didn't log it. I haven't seen it since. <_<