Price Drop Alert!!!!!

They just charged my credit card. I wonder if the purchase is binding now.

I just got this:

Dear perrito_blanco@yahoo.com,

We're writing to confirm your purchase of the following item from The

Gig

Store:

1 of Garmin GPSMap 60C 56 MB GPS with 256-Color TFT Display

[Electronics]

(available to ship by 23-November-2004)

Amazon Payments has charged your credit card (Discover) for this

purchase,

and the funds have been credited to The Gig Store.

Here's your receipt.

---------------------------------------------------

Date: 21-November-2004

Amazon Order #: -------------------------------

1 of Garmin GPSMap 60C 56 MB GPS with 256-Color TFT Display

[Electronics],

[$299.00]

Shipping & Handling: [$8.85]

Tax: [$0.00]

Total: [$307.85]

Buyer: perrito_blanco@yahoo.com

I knew it was too good to be true. Oh well.

Dear George,

Please except our apologies. There was an error in pricing for the Garmin GPS 60C that we listed on Amazon.com. The price listed on Sunday was $299. The actual price is $379. We fixed the error immediately, but it takes around six hours for the site to update with new information. During this time we could not do anything to stop orders from going through.

We simply can't afford to sell this product for $299. We have canceled this order and refunded your credit card. If you are still interested in purchasing this product, please feel free place another order through the Amazon.com site and it will ship within 24 hours.

Thanks for your understanding,

Apurva Patel

The Gig Store Customer Service

support@thegigstore.com

Dear George,

Please except our apologies. There was an error in pricing for the Garmin GPS 60C that we listed on Amazon.com. The price listed on Sunday was $299. The actual price is $379. We fixed the error immediately, but it takes around six hours for the site to update with new information. During this time we could not do anything to stop orders from going through.

We simply can't afford to sell this product for $299. We have canceled this order and refunded your credit card. If you are still interested in purchasing this product, please feel free place another order through the Amazon.com site and it will ship within 24 hours.

Apurva Patel

support@thegigstore.com

CAN THEY DO THAT? HERE IN CANADA I DONT THINK THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT, ONCE THE ACCEPTANCE IS SENT(NOT NECESSARILY RECIEVED) THE CONTRACT IS BINDING. INTERESTING....

sorry for shouting.... :D

Edited by dave and jaime

Dear George,

Apurva Patel

support@thegigstore.com

not to nitpick.... but:

"...we could not do anything to stop orders from...",

i dont realy think this is your problem, rather they offer a product, you acepted, they charged to completed the transaction. i threaten to go to small claims if they refuse, and if they then refuse id go to small claims(not sure about your system but here you could also charge them for the filing fee).

CAN THEY DO THAT? HERE IN CANADA I DONT THINK THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT, ONCE THE ACCEPTANCE IS SENT(NOT NECESSARILY RECIEVED) THE CONTRACT IS BINDING. INTERESTING....

I'm not sure if you are correct. I looked into consumer protection legislation, and there really isn't any legal reason they have to sell it to you. Not unless you can prove that they were falsely advertising a lower price just so they could sell you something else at a higher price.

I know this because earlier this year I completed a transaction for a Palm Tungsten T for about $10 from a Canadian on-line retailer. Needless to say, they didn't send it. :D

Regards,

Anthony

Threaten to get your Attorney General involved. A sale is a sale. They are required to honor their price. Their loss. Don't give up on it. If you need help on fighting them on it I'll help. I've gotten lots of big companies to honor their ad prices because they had no information regarding a typo. Save your emails.

Amazon was no help in the matter.

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may

have caused you and please allow me to explain.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've looked into the

status of your recent order and have confirmed

that it was cancelled and fully refunded by the seller, Apurva

Patel. We find that our third-party merchants work very hard to

accurately list their products, but on rare occasion a pricing error

may occur.

Does anyone know if I can take this any further and where? The difference from $387 to $299 shouldn't be crippling for them given it was THEIR mistake and it was charged to my card. The fact that they took my money may mean something.

Amazon was no help in the matter.

Greetings from Amazon.com.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may

have caused you and please allow me to explain.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've looked into the

status of your recent order and have confirmed

that it was cancelled and fully refunded by the seller, Apurva

Patel. We find that our third-party merchants work very hard to

accurately list their products, but on rare occasion a pricing error

may occur.

Does anyone know if I can take this any further and where? The difference from $387 to $299 shouldn't be crippling for them given it was THEIR mistake and it was charged to my card. The fact that they took my money may mean something.

id also look at the fact that the item was listed at another price below $379. also it was said earlier about consumer protection, you need to look at contract law, which you had with them. threaten them and file in small claims court if need be.

Go to their web site and read their policies and terms of sale. Most (including Dell and gateway and all the big ones) specifically say they are not responsible for priceing errors and wont honor them. They "might" honor the price just to maintain good will and appearances but I think your wasting time trying to sue.

Dell sold me a Axim pocket PC for $79 that was supposed to be $379. Two days after the sale I got a nice email explaining their mistake and informing me that the sale was cancelled.....The forum on Dells web site were all a flutter with complaints and threats to sue......bottom line is no one got their $79 axim.

On the other hand, Martha stewart online sold me something for $25 that was supposed to be $150. I bought two of them and she fulfilled my order (after I complained a bit to her sales staff). Other folks I know bought up to ten of these and they got them as well.

Dont waste a lot of time fretting over not getting it, better put your energies to better use christmas shopping....

Sorry, but these are my experiences.

The "offer and acceptance" rules you learned in your college business law course (or in law school) generally don't help you here. Advertisements are not generally considered "offers" for purposes of contract law. Your remedies, if any, are local consumer protection laws that prohibit "bait and switch" advertizing, which doesn't seem to apply here.

Does anyone know if I can take this any further and where? .

Perhaps a better question would be "do I really want to take this further, and why? It was a mistake. You realized right away it was a mistake. (In your second post you wrote "It must have been a typo").

Why not do the ethically correct thing and realize that people make mistakes and let it go?

Toyota (Canada) is offering Garmin 60CS if you purchase a truck.

My wife took delivery of her new Tacoma 4 door, on Friday.

I take delivery of my new GPS on Christmas morning.

Hey, your Garmin 60c only cost you $25,000! WOW, what a bargain.... sign me up....

Just kidding, that is pretty cool -- I'll have to talk my wife into a Toyota!

Bozz :lol: