Usa Photomaps Upgrade - 11/04

Rubbertoe

USA PhotoMaps Page

I've been using this program for what seems like forever, and it just keeps getting better. A recent upgrade has been added so you can download a 2 meg "states" file that will allow you to look up any populated place by clicking on a state, then city name. Good stuff. Oh, and not to mention the track / speed data that I'd been hoping for for a long time. :P

Tnx again, Doug

I'm on it. I'm especially excited about 2.49 and that fix of an almost insignificant bug that changes an almost insignificant feature. :P

For your (those of you who may be addicted to maps in general, and USAPhotomaps in particular) information, I've recently finished downloading all data for the Seattle Urban Area, seventy some miles N to S, Everett to Fort Lewis and Port Orchard to Issaquah. It takes up 14 GB of disk space :laughing:

Looks like version 2.50 is now available to download which does include the US Landmark info previously mentioned. I see the Landmarks noted on the map, but I am not sure where their exact location is. Looks like the documentation says that it is located in the upper left hand corner of the text box. This does not seem to accurately describe the location. But hey, this is a GREAT piece of software!

Just download the new data (not the full program), unzip the data and paste it in the same fold as the old program. This will over write the old program, but keeps all your maps/tracks/downloads....

This is how I have been doing it and have not had any serious problems (at least I have not lost any map data).

Wyatt W.

I had version 2.3 installed and it worked fine. I replaced it with version 2.5 and now I can't launch the program. I get a message " Error #3 This line in USA PhotoMaps.ini represents a Lat/Lon that's outside the USA. etc". There is no contact info on the web site. Any help would be appreciated, including places to download an earlier functional version.

and now I can't launch the program. I get a message " Error #3 This line in USA PhotoMaps.ini represents a Lat/Lon that's outside the USA. etc".

Your USAPhotoMaps.ini file is corrupted. Open it in a text editor such as notepad and compare with the contents of USAPhotoMapsBAK.ini. If there is only one line in it, meaning you only ever had one "map", then it's easiest to just delete the ini file and enter new center coordinates on start-up the same as you did when you first installed the program. If there are several lines, make sure that Z is between 10 and 19 on all of them, or replace all of it with the contents of the BAK file. Also make sure that one and only one line begins with an asterisk.

example:

*Asheville&X=1792&Y=19708&Z=17

Boston MA&X=1552&Y=23448&Z=19

Devil's Tower&X=2612&Y=24684&Z=13

First Flight&X=2196&Y=19930&Z=18

Hobbs&X=3360&Y=18087&Z=13

FYI the email for the author is jdmcox@jdmcox.com. You'd only find it by clicking on the PayPal link.

And if there's one line that doesn't have the same number of digits after the &X= or &Y= as the other lines, delete it (there needs to be 4 digits after the &X= and 5 digits after the &Y=).

But mainly, you should get the latest version (2.50) because its error reporting is more helpful.

I just upgraded my USAPhotoMaps to V2.50 and now I can not download topo or photos from TerraServer. :laughing: I get a message that it can't connect to the internet. It sure did a moment ago with an older version (2.46 I think I had).

Also, I downloaded the States data as directed into a new folder titled "States" and I can't get past the listing of the states. When I click on say "NY", nothing happens.

Any insight into what I did wrong? It worked fine until I upgraded to 2.50. I'm running windows XP and have RoadRunner cable. Help please, I love this program!

Edited by Timpat