National Treasure

BeachBuddies

Saw this movie last night. Found it somewhat interesting but not really good. For me it would have been a better rental than a theatre event. Call me cheap, call me too harsh of a critic, but $10 is a little too much to spend on this one. Then again, i'm not a big fan of puzzle caches.

I got into geocaching about a month ago, and my wife and daughter were lukewarm to the idea. After seeing the movie, they were (and after our first hunt together) and are insanely interested in geocaching. Now they are getting me up at 5:30am to go find local micros...

Wow! It does look quite interesting tbh...

It's was okay, and a bit different from what the trailers indicated. Obviously it's trying to cache in on the popularity of The Da Vinci Code, substituting American history for religious iconography. And you get a nice little caper sub-plot thrown in for good measure, with two groups trying to steal the same object at the same time, using radically different methods (finesse vs. force). It's definitely a summer adventure movie, that happens to be getting released in the fall.

(And I heard Tom Hanks is set to play Robert Langdon in the film version of TdVC, directed by Ron Howard.)

The problem with Windtalkers is that the stupid hollywood crapheads used the best use of code and a cheap exploitation of the history of that to sell a story about a white dude. The movie was decent, but HELLO, if you're calling it wind talkers it should be about the Indians - not some sorry white boy.

I absolutely hate nicholas cage, too, but I really want to see this movie.

I don't know... the previews look pretty bad. I'm getting sick of the current trend to spend billions of dollars on cartoon special effects for a 2-cent plot. But I can't diss a movie until I've seen it.

Nicholas Cage has done his best work in his older movies: Red Rock West, Time To Kill, Wild At Heart. Some of his newer movies are good too, like Matchstick Men, Bringing Out the Dead, Leaving Las Vegas, and Adaptation. I even liked the John Woo movie, Face-Off.

I wish he'd stay away from 'blockbuster' Hollywood crap, like ConAir and The Rock. Gone in Sixty Seconds, blechhh. Should've been called "Walked Out of Theater After 60 Seconds." Wind Talkers was just OK; it certainly could have been better.

-Bob

go to http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/nation.../mainsited.html

(skip the intro if your on dial up.)

click on "go treasure hunting"

then click on "treasure hunt activities"

Does the site advertised look familiar? <_<

Nice - maybe we'll see a few "National Treasure" caches appear (like the Project APE caches)???

I enjoyed the movie. Not a lot of special effects, well-thought out clues to the story, and very enjoyable.

Maybe I'm in the minority, who knows?

It's was okay, and a bit different from what the trailers indicated. Obviously it's trying to cache in on the popularity of The Da Vinci Code, substituting American history for religious iconography. And you get a nice little caper sub-plot thrown in for good measure, with two groups trying to steal the same object at the same time, using radically different methods (finesse vs. force). It's definitely a summer adventure movie, that happens to be getting released in the fall.

(And I heard Tom Hanks is set to play Robert Langdon in the film version of TdVC, directed by Ron Howard.)

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I saw the trailers, and as I am a Mason, I was a bit surprised to see the Masonic seal pop up! :D

A fellow Mason has already had his ring spotted and asked "do you know where the treasure is?" :yikes:<_< Well, of course we do!

And BTW -- it's not a religion.

A fellow Mason has already had his ring spotted and asked "do you know where the treasure is?"  Well, of course we do!

Yeah, it kinda freaked me out when I was asked. It was at the local mall and it was by a cashier who had apparently seen the movie the prior evening. I look forward to seeing the film.

I'm refusing to see this picture on the basis that my most loathed hollywood actor is in this one. Ever since ConAir, Nicolas Cage has been on my "Very, very, very, very bad actors list...And has anyone else seen Windtalkers??? Bleegh!

I agree 100%. I can't stand to watch the guy. I rewatched part of the movie "Gone in 60 seconds" the other night because it was on TV. There is one part where he tries to get in the right frame of mind for car-jacking by listening to "Lowrider". Ugh, it was painful to watch. I don't think there is an actor out there that I hate more.

--RuffRidr

... National Treasure. Although I read several reviews that panned it, I thought it was pretty good. I think most geocachers will enjoy it. It definitely reminded me of Blood and Guts.

There is no truth to the rumor that Team Ekitt10 or the Dominion Crew where consulted during the filming of "The National Treasure". In fact, members of our team are currently speaking with lawyers. We intend on getting our hands on some of the proverbial, "Phat Cash" ... or was that cache. :yikes:

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I saw it over the weekend. It was a good movie and worth the $6.50 matinee price I paid. Would I go see it again at the theater? Nah. Video rental? Yeah, probably. Buy the dvd? Nah, not that good. I agree with someone's previous comment it seemed to be The DaVinci Code but based on American history and Masonic iconism instead of Catholic iconism.

I'm gonna go and see it coz I really don't mind if it is not high art. I simply want to be entertained and I liked the 'DaVinci Code'. I am well aware of the holes in the DVC but I still enjoyed it, perhaps because I was able to suspend my disbelief well enough to do so. If I have to do that to enjoy this movie then I will do so. I am sure that it is, as previously suggested, 'The DaVinci Code but based on American history and Masonic iconism instead of Catholic iconism'..... That makes it one of many current stories, books, films based on that. I think that says something about what the public find interesting, fascinating, whatever..... Probably a passing thing, but that doesn't matter if it is bringing pleasure to many.

The problem with Windtalkers is that the stupid hollywood crapheads used the best use of code and a cheap exploitation of the history of that to sell a story about a white dude. The movie was decent, but HELLO, if you're calling it wind talkers it should be about the Indians - not some sorry white boy.

I absolutely hate nicholas cage, too, but I really want to see this movie.

WOW, and I thought I had "issues" with Wind talkers". I think the fly and I will get along nicely :yikes:

I too want to see National Treasures, but also think it is a "cheap" recreation of another popular novel with a hint of Masonic mystery thrown into the mix.

I just saw the movie this evening and it was worth every bit of the $13.95 to see it. Any dedicated geocacher will probably love this movie. And was that a Sporttrak in there that we saw part of? I was surprised to see the 420+ seat movie theatre almost empty though, but perhaps that was because of the weather.

It's was okay, and a bit different from what the trailers indicated. Obviously it's trying to  cache in on the popularity of The Da Vinci Code, substituting American history for religious iconography. And you get a nice little caper sub-plot thrown in for good measure, with two groups trying to steal the same object at the same time, using radically different methods (finesse vs. force). It's definitely a summer adventure movie, that happens to be getting released in the fall.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I saw the trailers, and as I am a Mason, I was a bit surprised to see the Masonic seal pop up! B)

A fellow Mason has already had his ring spotted and asked "do you know where the treasure is?" :lol::D Well, of course we do!

And BTW -- it's not a religion.

Ummm, Joefrog, Shhhhhh!

Folks, there is no treasure, umm, nope, none at all, Joefrog was just kidding!

PS Bro. Frogman, When are you going to the repository, I'm open next Friday. I'm getting a little low.

I'm refusing to see this picture on the basis that my most loathed hollywood actor is in this one.  Ever since ConAir, Nicolas Cage has been on my "Very, very, very, very bad actors list...And has anyone else seen Windtalkers???  Bleegh!

The man has been on my "fingernails down a blackboard" list of actors since forever. I can't even bear him in a trailer for something.

I never could understand why he gets so many pictures, then I was channel flipping one night and saw him on Biography. He was born Nicolas Coppola.

Oh.

Yeah, he changed it because he didn't want to get jobs just because has a famous uncle.

Yeah, I'm sure that worked. It's not like Hollywood is the world's gossipiest city or anything, where everybody knows who's sleeping with whom and who had a butt lift.

And it's just an added side benefit that people like me, who wonder how this unappealing knucklehead ever gets jobs, would be left in the dark...

:lol:

This was actually a very well done movie. Never slow, always interesting. We had a full house today at the theatre, and I don't remember the last time I have heard that much audience response to a movie. There was laughing, talking (to the movie), and clapping.

And it did feel like the ultimute multi-cache! :lol:

-Ambrosia

NOT a mason. :D

A fellow Mason has already had his ring spotted and asked "do you know where the treasure is?"

That's too funny! I saw it Thanksgiving day and enjoyed it. It does show the square and compasses quite a bit throughout the movie and gives a positive spin on free masonary.

Zack

Also a Mason

Nice to meet you! :lol:

About 50% of the posts to this topic, including the original post, are on-topic, in that they draw parallels between this movie and geocaching. Let's keep the discussion pointed in that direction. If you'd like to post movie reviews or trash Nicholas Cage, have at it in the Off Topic Forum. Thanks!

About 50% of the posts to this topic, including the original post, are on-topic, in that they draw parallels between this movie and geocaching.  Let's keep the discussion pointed in that direction.  If you'd like to post movie reviews or trash Nicholas Cage, have at it in the Off Topic Forum.  Thanks!

Oh, pardon us. Let me shift it to 51/49%...

Well, this movie would make a great GEOCACHING search theme.

This movie could be themed as the ultimate GEOCACHING multi!

But there would be some GEOCACHERS who would not log their DNF.

Other GEOCACHERS would say that we GEOCACHER Masons would have an unfair advantage.

And other GEOCACHERS who would trade a broken McToy.

There. All better now. <_<

Edited by joefrog

I haven't seen the movie, but have a quick question. How does cage use a GPS to locate treasure hidden by the nation's founders? I mean how would George Washington have taken cooridnates? There wasn't even a grid system back then... Maybe he used NAD76 (1776)?

If you'd like to post movie reviews or trash Nicholas Cage, have at it in the Off Topic Forum.
Very few of us have access to the OffTopic forum...

-Bob