Making Waypoint Files From Bm Coordinates?

Wintertime

Is there an easy way to turn a list of benchark names and coordinates into a .loc file? I'm giong to Walt Disney World soon and would like to capture all the coordinates from my Disney benchmarks page and transfer them to my GPSr. I'd also like to be able to make a .loc file of all the Disneyland and WDW coordinates available to visitors to that web page.

In addition, I've found a number of benchmarks in other places that aren't in the NGS database, hence there's no way to download .loc files for them from Geocaching.com. Again, I'd like to find a way to make their coordinates available to other benchmark hunters.

I have MacGPS Pro, which can generate waypoints from a text file, but it only grabs the coordinates; I'd have to enter each mark's name manually after the waypoints are generated. Looking for a way to automate the process better!

Patty

ExpertGPS can import a csv, and export a .loc. I'd be glad to help to get this file created if I can. I checked your website (through your profile) but didn't see the Disney marks. If you can point me in the right direction I'll see what I can do.

*edited to fix spelling error

Edited by gnbrotz
To get  a good start you can download the benchmark files and convert them to GPX files with bm2gpx which is available from here

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "download the benchmark files." I looked at the documentation for BMGPX and it says it's for converting NGS .dat files to .gpx format. But of course, there are no NGS files for Disney benchmarks or for the other marks I mentioned that aren't in the NGS database.

Anyway, I got the problem solved. While chatting with Greg in email, he asked me whether there was a way to convert my DD MM.MMM coordinates to DD.DDD format for Excel. I mentioned that I knew I could do that on Jeff Boulter's coordinate conversion site (http://www.boulter.com/gps/), and that I would ask Jeff if there was some way of doing batch conversions.

Well, while preparing to write to Jeff, I looked at his conversion page again and noticed a link to another page called GPS Coordinat Grabber (http://boulter.com/gps/grabber/). That did exactly what I needed! I entered the URL for my Disneymarks page and clicked Grab, and all of them appeared in a separate window. All I had to do was to change the default waypoint numbers to my own benchmark names. Then I selected only the Disneyland marks and clicked "Download Coordinates," and voila! I had a nice .loc file with all the DL benchmarks. Then I went back and did the same thing for the WDW benchmarks.

I've just uploaded the .loc files to my Disney page (http://www.wintertime.com/OH/GC/Disney/disneymarks.html). Enjoy!

Patty