Thinking Of Getting The Gpsmap 60cs

G O Casher

I am thinking of getting a new GPSr, and I really like the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. I like the idea of the color display, which I understand is easy to read. Also like many of the features which seem like they would be a cachers dream. Plus, I could use it on my bike.

So my question is, what is the best price that you have seen it for. I saw it in a few places on the web for around $389.00.

If you have seen it for less I'd really like to know about it before I take the plunge.

As always, thanks for help.

G O Casher :(

Good info!

Thank you all. I will take another look at the 76CS with the rebate. I have also been reading another recent thread Here which talks to the differences / pros & cons / preferences between the two.

When I was researching the 60CS, it looked as though it had specific geocaching features such as cache downloading where it captured the cache hints, logged the find, etc. Does the 76CS also have those features?

Thank you. :(

The Garmin web site states that the 60 CS has a special geocaching mode. Does the 76 CS also have that mode? That could be an important factor in my decission.

Thank you,

G O Casher

Really, the only difference between the 60cs and 76cs is that the 76cs has more memory, slightly larger so that it floats better, and the key pad is above the screen, not below.

Hey,

Then it's a no brainer. Same price, more memory, floats better and slightly better built in maps. I held both in my hand a the local sporting goods store. Both felt comfortable and were about the same weight. Buttons on top or bottom is a matter of getting used to the one you own. Overal physical size was also very close.

santa clause is coming . . .

. . . to town! :mad::mad:;)

Don't want to through a wrench in your gears. Yes the 76 has more memory. But go put one in your hand versus the 60. The 76 is larger and the keys being above the screen make it tough for you to use with one hand. The 60 having the keys below allows you to hold and operate in one hand lots easier. Being bigger also makes it tough to fit in a pocket or strap. I am not steering you one way or the other. I have the 60 but at times with mapping wished I had the 76. But for on my bike and ATV I would never want the 76. A friend of mine just bought the 60. I told him to check out the 76 and he did and came back and said no way. He got the 60.

Just check into it.

murph

Don't want to through a wrench in your gears. Yes the 76 has more memory. But go put one in your hand versus the 60. The 76 is larger and the keys being above the screen make it tough for you to use with one hand. The 60 having the keys below allows you to hold and operate in one hand lots easier. Being bigger also makes it tough to fit in a pocket or strap. I am not steering you one way or the other. I have the 60 but at times with mapping wished I had the 76. But for on my bike and ATV I would never want the 76. A friend of mine just bought the 60. I told him to check out the 76 and he did and came back and said no way. He got the 60.

Just check into it.

murph

I had a choice between the 60CS and 76CS. I went with the 60CS because I felt the 76CS was just too big for my primary uses of hiking, geocaching and backpacking. I was upgrading from an eTrex, so I was used to small units and the 76 was just too big a jump for me. The button placement on the 76 series is also poorly thought out. It was tough to operate one handed and impossible without covering the part of the screen with my hand.

Anyway, I paid $369 for mine on Amazon.com. With shipping and tax it came out to $390 something. I haven't seen it there that cheap since. Don't know if it was a mistake, or a short time sale or what. Offroute.com was the next cheapest at the time I was searching and it was $389 there.

I went with the 60CS because I felt the 76CS was just too big for my primary uses of hiking, geocaching and backpacking.

I went to Galyans and placed both units flat on the counter. As far as overall length, both the 60 and 76 are about the same. Depth, they are also the same, and width, the 60 is about 5/16ths" narrower. In terms of weight, the 76 felt slightly lighter (general concensus of me, my wife and the sales person), but at best/worst, they were the same.

The 60 appears to be much smaller, but when measured tip to tip, it is actually the same.

Edited by G O Casher

I agree with briansnat and thcri. I have also been trying to decide between the 60cs and the 76cs. I drove into town yesterday and checked out both units. For me it's a no brainer, the 60cs is going to be on my Christmas list. Since I will use it mostly for 4-wheeling, hunting, and backpacking, the 76cs just seemed a little too large. I travel to the lower 48 about twice a year so City Select with the lesser amount of memory should be fine for me. Just my opinion. :P

The 60 appears to be much smaller, but when measured tip to tip, it is actually the same.

Thats including the 60C's antenna. The main body of the unit is quite a bit smaller. According to Garmin's website the 60 is 5.4 oz and the 76 is 7.5 oz. They also measure 6.1 x 2.4 x 1.3 for the former and 6.2 x 2.7 x 1.4 for the latter, but about an inch and a half of that 6.1" on the 60 is the antenna. It just feels a lot smaller in the hand.

All of you with the 60CS... is it worth the extra $40+ to have the compass and barometric altimeter? Have you made any use of these features?

I like having the electronc compass (I have one in my Vista and 60CS), but its a "nice to have" thing rather than a necessity. Its nice because you don't have to be moving for it to work. One issue, since you are in NJ, is that there areas that have lots of iron in the ground and it effects the compass. I have to switch it off when caching in some areas like the Sparta Mtn WMA where the old Edison iron mines are. It drives the needle bananas, but would for a handheld compass as well.

Most people would probably advise you to save the money and buy a $15 handheld compass, but I think that if you have the extra money to spend, go for the electronic compass. Figure you're gonna have this unit for a few years, so might as well get it loaded.

Edited by briansnat