Ridin The Iron Horse II

MarcusArelius

If needed, I can drive my F250 down that can haul a bunch of bikes up the hill, but only one passenger (unless you want to crawl behind the seat with Scooter the Wonder Dog). I'm going to skip the ride since I've already done most of those caches, but don't want to miss Pepper's event!

If there's enough other bike transporters available, I won't bring the big truck since it only gets about 6 miles per gallon :lol:

Maybe someone can assemble an email signup sheet for planning purposes to figure out how many people, bikes, and pickups are available so we can match up the numbers.

HC, 6MPG from the border to here, aren't we trying to save some gas? :lol:

I was thinking that I could haul in both directions if someone would give me a lift right after the ride to retrieve my truck and trailer. I could then take all the bikes back up to the top after the picnic. But I too can only take 3 other people in my extracab back to the top.

I think it's a good idea to list where people want to park and if they like this idea.

At the pass:

Robinego

Go JayBee

Cowboy Bebop

At the lake:

Phil&Cathy+1

The Barnabirdy(s) plan to arrive from the west side and park at the pass. We have a forest service pass so will park at Hyak. We have no roof rack so the Legacy is pretty well at capacity with two bikes (and we may have to stuff Dimibirdy's in too). We will be looking for a ride for at least one back to get the car.

Well, I am still hoping to be able to make this event. I have even had an offer of a loaner bike! (THANKS!) As for transportation, my gas guzzler van gets nearly 12 MPG in the city, which I mention simply for comparison purposes with RWW's truck. B) (I didn't calculate what it got going to and from Steven's Pass last summer.) However, in the past I've taken the two "middle" seats out and have carried four (or was it five) bikes inside the van -- on their sides (cause otherwise they would fall over). This, of course, made it a bit cramped for the family to fit in the van at the same time, but we did it. To simplify life, I bought an external bike rack that slides into the towing hitch and it is made to carry five bikes. (Never been used, though, as it was acquired just before my world crashed.) In any case, I'm sure I could safely cart 5 bikes plus 6 passengers, or roughly 10 bikes with 1 passenger -- or more with fewer bikes.

Mrs. Stump has decided she is interested in this event. But all she has is a road bike. Any tips on renting a mountain bike in the Federal Way area? I thought we could rent one at REI but they don't seem to do that.

I did a look up of bike rental shop in FW and this is what I came up with.

I have never dealt with this outfit so I have no recomendation on them one way or the other, or even if they are still in business.

Phil's South Side Bicycle Shop

2310 SW 336th St.

Federal Way, WA 98023

(253) 661-3903

Rent hybrid and mountain bikes by the day.

Mrs. Stump has decided she is interested in this event. But all she has is a road bike. Any tips on renting a mountain bike in the Federal Way area? I thought we could rent one at REI but they don't seem to do that.

Check out:

Angle Lake Cyclery

20840 International Blvd

SeaTac, 98198

206-878-7457

Back in Nov. Runhills wrote this....

Now, now...we have all winter to prepare for this ride. On last year's ride we had a couple of youngsters that were able to do the entire ride thus setting the bar for this ride  That said, my plan could be to drive my buggy to an intermediate location to allow for an opt out if desired.

Now I'm thinking, dadgum, May came around awfully fast this year...I may be in the back of the pack with RWW and Patudles, however as an incentive, if there is beer at the finish line I'll be racing Nolenator to be first.

We should finalize parking arrangements, yes?

I have an SUV that can fit people, but not bikes. However let me volunteer my, "P.I.C.", Patudles' Suburban (AKA: Big Bertha). (psst Tudles, I'll go in on gas... :blink: )

edit: love the "auto translator" for bad words! <_<

Now I'm thinking, dadgum, May came around awfully fast this year...I may be in the back of the pack with RWW and Patudles, however as an incentive, if there is beer at the finish line I'll be racing Nolenator to be first.

Forget the beer, it'll wait I may need my private nurse close-by. <_<

I haven't even gotten my bike out yet this year and I only rode it once last year. See what caching does to the past life.

"Big Bertha" should be up for the trip. I am wondering though if beings we want to stay for the Event and perhaps do a little more caching if we should drop off the bikes at the top and then drive to the pick-up point and leave "BB" there and carpool back up to the top with someone. Is there a place we can lock up the bikes or maybe one of us could stay with them if a ride was coming back promptly.

Well, howdy, looks like I'm gonna do the ride again this year, now that I have houseguests for the weekend who are participating. B) So count me in! I can park at either end and help with transport, altho I only have room for 1-2 extra bikes.

I'm going to try to make it. At the moment, I have a forest service pass, a bike rack that can take one more bike, and seat belts for three or four passengers depending on someone willing to squeeze into the middle seat, so I can drive up to the trailhead in the morning.

Let's talk transportation.

My idea is for everyone coming from the west side of the Cascades to meet up at the lake and form carpools to the top, leaving several vehicles at the lake (including mine).

I can haul many bikes back to the top but will need help getting the people back up. I assume that everyone is staying for the picnic so the trip back top would be around 4PM.

Following is what I have for the people that may be coming. If you provide more info I can post it on the web page (I don't expect the table to display well in this post). Where do you plan to park, what are you driving, are you are willing to haul bikes and/or people how many of each, do you have a NW forest pass? You could also from carpools to the lake if you like.

User Park Vec Person Bike Permit

From East:

magking1971 ? ? ? ?

robinego Pass ? ? ?

Patudles - - - -

xy,xx,xy,xy,xy,xy ? ? ? ?

Barnabirdy Pass ? ? ? yes

From I-90 area:

Cruiser Guy ? Truck ? ?

Jaded ? ? ? ?

Moun10Bike Pass? SUV 4 3 yes

MarcusArelius Lake Truck 3 many yes

From South:

Go-mad-Cow

Go JayBee Pass ? ? ?

Cowboy Bebop - - - - ? ? ?

Stump ? ? ? ?

Team Noltex Pass Car 2 ?

Phil & Cathy Lake Van ? ?

LandRover

GeekGirl Lake ? ? ?

From North:

Half-Canadian ? ? ? ?

andrewrj Lake Truck ? ?

AnalogDog ? ? ? ?

Right Wing Wacko ? Truck ? ?

NBJPoppa ? Van ? 4

EraSeek

grossi ? ? ? ?

blacravin ? Truck ? ?

leatherman Garcia ? ? ?

dentalstudent - - - -

From West:

nolenator ? ? ? ?

Bull Moose

the4Grays ? ? ? ?

Belleterre ? ? 3 2

Nana Bear Lake ? ? ?

Caching Cowles Clan Lake 2 2

Well, howdy, looks like I'm gonna do the ride again this year, now that I have houseguests for the weekend who are participating. :mad: So count me in! I can park at either end and help with transport, altho I only have room for 1-2 extra bikes.

After reviewing the cache list, the only two I haven't done are down by the picnic area.....so I'm going to do the Snoqualmie trail ride instead, since I haven't done any of those caches, and will meet you all at the lunch rendezvous point. Anyone is welcome to join me. I'll open a new forum thread tonight for any takers. I think cache ahead will be riding shotgun with me. ;)

I've decided to come down with the Explorer instead of the F250 and just arrive for the Farewell to Pepper event. If need be, I could run one person back up the hill (more could fit but you'd have to sit in the back with Scooter the Wonder Dog :mad: ) I looks like there should be enough other vehicles to move people and bikes, though.

ok more info. I have a small truck that I will be willing to drive to the pass, either in the morning or in the afternoon, whatever is needed. I think I could get 3 or 4 bikes in the back lying on their side, and probibly one more person on the jump seat in the truck if they are smaller. Hope this helps.

The Birdy(s) will be coming from the west side (Hydnsek's to be specific). We will pick up Dimibirdy and bike somewhere so we will be maxed for bikes and only one short on passangers. At this point we think we will go right to Hyak, we are usually late anyway, but could take one passanger if things get tight.

MarcusArelius...here's my info so you can update your list...

I am planning on meeting at the lake (as suggested for the WetSiders).

If necessary, I can carry my bike (in the back of my little hatchback) and one other person, or I can carry no bikes (including my own) and carry three other people. I have a Northwest Forest Pass. See you there!

Is anybody planning on taking the early out on this? Mrs. XX is more than a little leery about her ability (ok, willingness) to go the whole 22 miles. She doesn't think the 2 youngest cn do it either without significant whining. She'd like to take the early out if we can arrange for some transport. If not, she says she'll probably do the tunnel then turn around and go back to the start and meet the rest of us at the bottom. If anybody else is interested in that, she could give a couple of people and bikes back down to the lake. We have a minivan with just enough rack space for our 6 bikes. We are planning to go to the picnic.

Is anybody planning on taking the early out on this? Mrs. XX is more than a little leery about her ability (ok, willingness) to go the whole 22 miles. She doesn't think the 2 youngest cn do it either without significant whining. She'd like to take the early out if we can arrange for some transport. If not, she says she'll probably do the tunnel then turn around and go back to the start and meet the rest of us at the bottom. If anybody else is interested in that, she could give a couple of people and bikes back down to the lake. We have a minivan with just enough rack space for our 6 bikes. We are planning to go to the picnic.

I really want to do the whole route, but it would be great if we could park at least one vehicle at a couple of the possible early outs for those that may discover to late that they won't be able to make the whole trip.

Oh... and to complete Marcus's stats.

RightWingWacko

Park: ???

Person: 1

Bike: 1

Truck: Could probably get a couple more bikes in the back, not a lot of room for passengers.

I do have a valid Northwest Forest Pass, My State Park pass has expired and I have not yet renewed.

Leatherman had posted a note about opting out at Garcia. I don't know if that's still his plan.

Marcus, thank you once again for putting this together. I am looking forward to this event. I have a Northwest Forest Pass and a State Parks Parking Pass. If I can get the back of my truck cleaned out there should be room for two more bikes. I can also take two passengers.

Zebo

Leatherman had posted a note about opting out at Garcia. I don't know if that's still his plan.

I've been talked into another commitment. I'm going to ride in a charity motorcycle event for the widows of fallen police officers.

I would like to know of a projected meet time at the bottom. I would like to see Pepper again before she deserts us. The moto event is past Burlington in Concrete. It wouldn't take me much time to roll in from there.

AnalogDog ? ? ? ?

I will be taking Grossi and our bikes from the northend to Rattlesnake. I have a RAV4 that can seat 4 uncomfortably 3 in moderate comfort. I carry 2 bikes on a Thule roof rack, and could squeeze a third partially disassembled in the back.

Let me know if I have to carry more than 2 and I will remove the Geobaby's Lounge Chair from the backseat....

Rob

Is a permit needed to park at the bottom, where we end? If I park there can I get someone to take me back up to the top? What time are we meeting at the top?

This ride is on the 3rd anniversary of my first find. Yahoo! :rolleyes:

Parking at Rattlesnake lake is free, no permit needed.

The forest service permit is for the boat launch parking lot at the pass. For $5 you can park in the large state lot closer to the tunnel.

We are meeting at the forest service lot at 9AM and I would guess we would get to the lake before 2PM. Pepper's picnic is 12-4 so we should get there in time to eat.

So far it will be me and my car at the top and my 4 friends and there truck at the top also, so if I could get a ride back to the top I could grab my car and shuttle people back and forth.

My daughter might come along for the ride if her mom does not want her over for the weekend and she has never been on such a long ride before so if she goes we might have to take the early opt out and meet everyone at the lake later.

I have no parking pass but can I get one at the meeting area someplace?

We all will be leaving friday after work and will be spending the night in cle ellum (however you spell that) and will be at the top early to lend a hand with anything.

The meet times are still 8AM at Rattlesnake lake to form carpools and/or 9AM at the forest service lot to start the ride.

I will be leaving my truck/trailer at Rattlesnake lake to haul bikes back up others will shuttle the bodies (still alive I hope).

Since I will not be parking at the top I can loan my FS permit. I would suggest to everyone that if you have 'em bring 'em.

Edited by MarcusArelius

Okay, final verdict is I am going to try to be at Rattlesnake at 8a.m. So I can cache the area after the event. If I am not there I will be at the top by 9 a.m.

I am getting a lot of static from my over concerned son :lol: that his mom hasn't even been on her bike yet this year and am attempting a 22 mile ride. Rode bike once last year for a about 2 miles and the year before for about 7 miles. Told him all I have to do is coast :lol: There will be padded chairs at the end, right? :D

Edit: oooooops

Edited by Patudles

Just to recap some of the details.

Meeting Spots:

Rattlesnake Lake at 8:00 AM. Parking is free here. Check out the parking coordinates for the Farewell Pepper Cache for the definative place. Car pools will be formed to transport people and bikes to the top.

Forest Service Parking Lot near Hyak at 9:00 AM. Use these coordinates to find the spot. Parking at this location is free with a Trail Access Pass. Additionally you can park up the road at the Iron Horse State Park lot for $5.00. There will be plenty of people willing to transport people back here after the ride.

Lunch will be served at the conclusion of the ride on the shores of Rattlesnake Lake from 12:00 to 4:00 PM. Additional information about lunch is below.

Lucy and Rickie will not be riding the event but will be there at the start and finish. We will be giving out our cell phone number at the beginning in case there is some difficulties on the trail and anyone needs to opt out early. Give us a call and we will come pick you up. Coordinates of the opt out locations will be given out at the beginning of the ride.

In case you haven't noticed there is a new multi-cache near the lake that is not on Marcus' official list for the event but is easily done before, during, or after lunch. We'll see you there.

The official lunch stop for this event is also an event by itself which is officially a going back to Texas party for our dear caching friend Pepper. Come one come all to say goodbye to Pepper.

You do not have to be an Iron Horse rider to attend this event (walk ups and drive ups are welcome).

Lunch will be grilled burgers, hot dogs, and garden burgers. These will be provided by Lucy and Rickie. We will also have some soda and water available.

What you need to bring:

A side dish or Frito Pies.

A drink of your choice.

A folding chair or two.

We will be watching over things at the lake all morning if anyone wants to leave their gear there during the ride.

'Tudles, if you want to come over tomorrow afternoon/evening, you are more than welcome to stay in my extra room and then head out early to the ride.

I'll even cook dinner for you...you like spaghetti? ;-)

Thanks Allanon, that is very kind of you. I have a bible study to go to Friday night and Robinego is carpooling with me also. It would have been a great to come over a day early and pick up a dozen or so caches the day before. It's not about numbers though is it? :D