Ridin The Iron Horse II

MarcusArelius

Pepper and I are all for it. However Pepper expects me to park a pickup/pullout vehicle at Garcia Rd. She wasn't all that keen about the whole nine miles.

9 Miles? PIECE O'CAKE! 'Specially downhill!

I also think the lake would be a good spot for our catered lunch. Hmmm didn't I hear someone offer that..... 

I believe it was Lucy, but if you were to ask her, she'd deny it and tell you Tuna fish :( or PB&J sandwiches.

OK, Belleterre is as mean as can be (just kidding, love her) but she made us go through the tunnel with lights off. Try it. Maybe impossible on a bike, we were actually walking. But, lights off. Cool.

As we started into the tunnel last year, there was a group of fathers & sons on bikes going part way thru. The dad's had lights, sons did not. I saw one dad swing the light up to look at the tunnel while son (in front so could use the light) steered into the wall in the dark. So... biking without lights - nope, not cool!

I've wanted to do this run for ages. The Ape Cache still sits there taunting me! If at all possible I will be there.

I like the idea of staging some vehicles at several of the trailheads along the route. It's a LONG route and some of us may not be up to doing the whole thing. I know I want to go as far as I can, yet I also know I have my limitations.

While it's true that it's mostly all downhill, it's downhill on an old railroad grade with gravel, so it's not like we'll just be able to coast :yikes:

I sure hope my old $75 Mountain Bike from Target can do the job without falling apart.

Now, now...we have all winter to prepare for this ride. On last year's ride we had a couple of youngsters that were able to do the entire ride thus setting the bar for this ride :yikes: That said, my plan could be to drive my buggy to an intermediate location to allow for an opt out if desired.

The one change I would suggest is that we start and end at Rattlesnake Lake rather than North Bend. This shaves a few cachless miles and makes for a great picnic weather permitting. If the weather is unfavorable, we drive to the Grill in North Bend.

Count me in, too! I've done the tunnel on bikes, to find the Ape cache (we could not find Iron Horse, and later it went MIA). Although if Moun10Bike is coming, maybe I shouldn't. The last time I did a bike ride with him, I ended up taking a header over the side of my bike and thrashing my helmet! (Fortunately it did its job and my head was spared)..... :yikes:

While it's true that it's mostly all downhill, it's downhill on an old railroad grade with gravel, so it's not like we'll just be able to coast  .

It nearly is coasting all the way. I found the 20 mile ride very easy. However like I mentioned Pepper had to run the whole way. So I will have to use an opt out. Or maybe a cart to pull behind my bike for pulling her at about half way.

By the way cool avatar.

{image removed by moderator]

{image removed by moderator}

Edited by Team Misguided
To answer Jester's question, yes of course I will fetch that one again as long as I can borrow your hat. I like the idea of ending at Rattlesnake because the sick people can then hike up and grab the caches up on the ledges. Whoo Hoo! I am in again. Peace, Nolenator

I think the real reason you prefer Rattlesnake Lake is you want revenge on Cedar Falls :ph34r:

Yes, it might be a long winter :laughing:

LittleBlue,

The Jester and his wife did it last year on touring Bikes but had a couple of flats along the way. I believe that he was riding on 1.25" tires. If you have 1.5" tires or bigger and keep them at the high end of the pressure range you should have no problem. The trail is actually pretty smooth and not at all technical.

LittleBlue,

The Jester and his wife did it last year on touring Bikes but had a couple of flats along the way. I believe that he was riding on 1.25" tires. If you have 1.5" tires or bigger and keep them at the high end of the pressure range you should have no problem. The trail is actually pretty smooth and not at all technical.

Yeah, I was on skinny tires and had three flats - but that was because of the curse of the "Moun10Bike Mountain Bike Coin" and me on a road bike! :lol:

The rest of the advice is good.

Cool- I'll have to check my tires. I ride on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail all the time and have no problem. Altho I always think... 'I should really carry a spare tube and know how to use it'! You know what they say, it's better to be lucky than good... :blink:

Seems like I missed somethign interesting here, guess I should have subscribed to topic. :unsure:

LittleBlue: I've done sections of the Iron Horse on a Hybrid Bike (1.75" tires) without any problems. Bigger is better, but One and a half inch tires would be pushing it, and I wouldn't ride anything with 1 1/4" unless I was being paid Stuntman Union Wages.