What is a grid shift?

ZoomZoom

Grid shift is really misunderstood. and many folks tend to think they have a clue what it is... including me

Basically, maps are flat, and the world is NOT.

example- in the northern hemisphere the (south) bottom of a map may exactly represent 10 miles (to scale), which means the top will NOT... as the lines of longitude get closer together as you go further north.

grid shift often affects projections involving UTM coordinates, since the metres are 'flat', and you cannot just add or subtract and get an answer

canadazuuk

A grid shift could be thought of as a less precise (simple) method of moving the grid lines (real world position) relative to the datum being used.

Basically by changing datum's the grid lines move (shift), which are representative/related to the positions of fixed features as features on the ground don't move with a datum change.

The relationship between datum's can be quite complex and for precise applications transformations or distortion models are used, where as for some applications/purposes grid shifts are adequate depending on the area of concern. For a single (reasonable scale) map the range might/could/can be negligible but for a whole country then the range difference is probably of some concern for critcial use.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Well thank you all for these explanations which I see isn't all that simple to understand. Quess I'll have to study those two links you posted Trailblazer#1 a little bit further.

Here I thought I was asking a simple question. Just goes to show you that you learn something new everyday. Once again thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

the grid shift that they speak of on Vancouver Island is not going to help you solve the cache locations

pythag and ed williams will

Why will it not help me solve it? Is there that much difference involved in a grid shift?

Also who or what are pythag and ed williams?

I only ask because I've never had to play with grid shift and besides that I never leave this chunk of rock just to get a waypoint on the mainland, if you know what I mean.