Liability Question

DaleF

Hey Dale,

Yeah it does seem like people replied with pretty inappropriate comments. If you were to fall in a huge pit or whatever like you explained the medical bills - if you didnt kill yourself- would be significant and it's pretty sad to think people would call that sue-happy. Too bad people judged you on the little information you gave. It didnt make me think you were trying to earn some big $$. hahahah!

Actually the other day I went out looking for a cache and found a huge square shaped cement lined hole that was so deep I couldnt see the bottom and it was big enough for a person to fall in. Luckily I noticed-because it would have been easy to miss(there was tall vegetation around it). I was in a public park/hiking area. Im not sure on the liability thing- id just hope people who place them take a good look around before they invite people to visit. People who hide them should know the area pretty well- I dont think they should be held liable (unless they were trying to hurt people) but morally they should investigate- because most people wouldnt be in those areas unless they were told about a cache anyway. Unexpected things can always happen- but what you're talking about sounds avoidable.

Glad you didnt get hurt. Your message to us is important! Reminds us all to be a little more careful when we go out searching in new areas. Its also a good reminder to the people who hide them- to make sure the surrounding area isnt dangerous.It's easy to get tunnel vision and forget sometimes.

Keep on caching!!!!

northwest20 icon_razz.gif

Hey Dale,

Yeah it does seem like people replied with pretty inappropriate comments. If you were to fall in a huge pit or whatever like you explained the medical bills - if you didnt kill yourself- would be significant and it's pretty sad to think people would call that sue-happy. Too bad people judged you on the little information you gave. It didnt make me think you were trying to earn some big $$. hahahah!

Actually the other day I went out looking for a cache and found a huge square shaped cement lined hole that was so deep I couldnt see the bottom and it was big enough for a person to fall in. Luckily I noticed-because it would have been easy to miss(there was tall vegetation around it). I was in a public park/hiking area. Im not sure on the liability thing- id just hope people who place them take a good look around before they invite people to visit. People who hide them should know the area pretty well- I dont think they should be held liable (unless they were trying to hurt people) but morally they should investigate- because most people wouldnt be in those areas unless they were told about a cache anyway. Unexpected things can always happen- but what you're talking about sounds avoidable.

Glad you didnt get hurt. Your message to us is important! Reminds us all to be a little more careful when we go out searching in new areas. Its also a good reminder to the people who hide them- to make sure the surrounding area isnt dangerous.It's easy to get tunnel vision and forget sometimes.

Keep on caching!!!!

northwest20 icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by northwest20:

...Actually the other day I went out looking for a cache and found a huge square shaped cement lined hole that was so deep I couldnt see the bottom and it was big enough for a person to fall in. Luckily I noticed-because it would have been easy to miss(there was tall vegetation around it). I was in a public park/hiking area...icon_razz.gif

Did you:

1. Notify the park manager of the danger you found?

2. Notify the cache hider? He may temporarily disable his cache until the park protects the pit.

3.Post your concerns in CAPs on the cache page so others would know and choose to skip the cache or take special precaution?

If cache hunters find dangerous "traps" like this, we should report it; it's very possible the cache hider was not aware of it!

Alan

quote:

...Actually the other day I went out looking for a cache and found a huge square shaped cement lined hole that was so deep I couldnt see the bottom and it was big enough for a person to fall in. Luckily I noticed-because it would have been easy to miss(there was tall vegetation around it). I was in a public park/hiking area...:D

Did you:

1. Notify the park manager of the danger you found?

2. Notify the cache hider? He may temporarily disable his cache until the park protects the pit.

3.Post your concerns in CAPs on the cache page so others would know and choose to skip the cache or take special precaution?

If cache hunters find dangerous "traps" like this, we should report it; it's very possible the cache hider was not aware of it!

Alan

To clarify my original post:

1) I did immediately inform the cache owner of the hazard, and he expressed his appreciation of being told about the hazard.

2) Then the cache owner did immediately cover over the hazard, and mark it, and also moved that part of a multi-cache.

As a result of that mishap, I now take a few more precautions, including taking along one of my cross-country ski poles. Terrific for going up/down steep terrain & crossing streams(which I did today); prodding covered ground where visibility is poor; etc.

A solo geocacher also needs more vigilance, including a cell phone (a must) plus all of the other goodies, such as a flashlight, matches, etc.etc.

The messagage has come through loud & clear - "Proceed at your own risk". However, I was not very happy in the manner in which several people expressed themselves. I don't think those comments would have been made to me face to face, and this medium is no excuse for bad manners.

quote:

Actually the other day I went out looking for a cache and found a huge square shaped cement lined hole that was so deep I couldnt see the bottom and it was big enough for a person to fall in. Luckily I noticed-because it would have been easy to miss(there was tall vegetation around it). I was in a public park/hiking area. Im not sure on the liability thing- id just hope people who place them take a good look around before they invite people to visit. People who hide them should know the area pretty well- I dont think they should be held liable (unless they were trying to hurt people) but morally they should investigate- because most people wouldnt be in those areas unless they were told about a cache anyway. Unexpected things can always happen- but what you're talking about sounds avoidable...

The hider did warn about the dangers.

"Please use caution around these bunkers. They are not maintained as attractions. There is alot of broken glass around from beer bottles. There is steep clifs in the area. The bunkers have much dangerous debris from years of partying acitivity"

We are going to the Peninsula in two weeks so I do appreciate your extra warnings as that is one of the caches on our list. Thanks for the extra info!

Although new to the Geocaching craze, I read this thread for amusement.

It really amazes me that a few individuals expect others to compensate them for THEIR stupidity. Equally amazing is the fact that certain individuals (DaleF?) have nothing better to do (Maybe I shouldn't complain? - I actually read this thread) than try to destroy an activity enjoyed by so many.

Liability - Give me a BREAK..

My answer to all this - Geocaching Insurance...

P.S. You aren't the same guy who sued CBS for eating Rats on Survivor are you?

Ding! Ding! Ding! Don't you get it !!

I wrote the initial question as a geocacher newbie. Why you make the giant leap "ASSUMING" that I am am chasing insurance money is beyond me.

I was only trying to get information.

As for your last question, which was totally asinine, I won't dignify that with a reply.

I was hoping that members would post messages with some class, but it's obvious some never present any constructive criticism.

I would like to start a GEO CACHERS DEFENSE fund incase some clumsy S.O.B. get's hurt and decides to sue the cacher. I think that if you are going to go out on 45 degree angles use the proper saftey equipment and if finding a cache may require that sort of precaution please state so. If you want to make a buck may I suggest checking out the Class Action America website.......There may already be a class action against GeoCaching ROFL

Great! Thanks for the posts guys! Now if my insurance co. reads this, Geocaching will be one more thing they'll exclude from my policy! I already have to get seperate insurance for my SCUBA Diving & Sky Diving. When I was motorcycle racing I had to get competition insurance. I listed Geocaching as "Hiking" under outdoor activities on my policy. Bet my insurance co. would love to exclude this too.

This is almost as bad as the time someone tried to sue me (collect from my insurance company) because they thought it was cute to sit their kid on my motorcycle when it was parked & she burned her hand on the exhaust system. (True Story!!) I was actually told by their lawyer that a motorcycle was considered an "Attractive Nuisance", whatever that was, & that I had a duty to protect the public from being drawn to it!! I think my insurance company actually paid for the medical bill to avoid a lawsuit.

Whatever happened to the concept of "Personal responsibility"? Oh yeah, we invented personal injury lawyers!