Not Taking Any Sides Here.

5¢

After 3 months of moderated posts and I guess a few lessons learned, I have

seen a lot of things in the forums and have asked a lot of questions to the non

forum using geocaching community. (Lets face it when I am not caching I have a

lot of free time.) In my humble opinion it seems that the majority of the users of

this site don't visit the forums. It also seems of the minority of the users who use

the forums a select few dictate these said forums. Not taking sides here in

anyway but I believe a couple of handful of people are allowed to go just outside

that line in the sand we call within the rules. Now not having the information some

people have a lot of allegations come up of so and so is also a moderator.

(example "Billthecacheclown" is also "Soandsomoderator." With that said........

aaaaaaggggghhhh heck I can't do this. It's not me. I don't sugercoat things. I tried but I can't. If the minority make the decisions than hey I am wasting my time. Everyone sees it. There is a select few of the people in these forums that are honestly meaning to be helpful. Most of the people on here are looking to pass time and the rest are smart aleks looking to make witty remarks. Some fall into all the categories. From my research of talking to the nonforum reading geocaching community their views are mostly completely opposite of what the minority of forum posters who rule this forum thinks and states. These forums are pretty much a fruitless endeaver. If you have a honest thought or feeling on something and want an opinion here is not the place to do it. The third post after the beginning of your thread will be off topic, smart alek, or someone will post something to try to make you look like an idiot or just plain wrong. I guess as in life one must understand that the minority rules and those with power right, wrong, or indifferent will always rule. But before I possibly get modded again here this...... there will never be a Rosa Parks type person shine through in these forums because agendas have been set and the select people who seem to rule these forums and are able to tippytoe the line also, in my humble opinion, seem to have more than one cache name they use, and while when a common cacher has an extra name it is called a sock puppet, it seems they have a legal super sock puppet.

By the way not trying to hide anything here I used to be known as krn187 but have changed my cache name on my single account. I have felt the wrath of life in these forums and have relegated myself to go eat grass like a good little sheep. By the way part 2, the answer to every idea and thought in the geocaching community forums that opposes the minority of the minority of the cachers on this site as a whole is not "if you don't like it go to the other site."

edited for spacing and to try to make easy reading for the saxman

Edited by 5¢
Point proven

Edited to put in the point: by a mod I believe.

Out of the first 3 people to reply to your thread, 2 of them are mods :blink:

Thanks for attempting to edit it. Spaces work wonders. Same thing in music, the rests are just as important as the notes.

In any society (forums included) there will be a hierarchy. Some people talk a lot, some people say a lot, and others do more listening. Like you said, some fit in all 3 categories. I started out by listening, my first few months in the forums I was learning. Then I started answering questions and helping out. Eventually, my natural tendency to add jokes along with my answers came in (I had been supressing it). It even took over for some time (some may argue that it never left).

Although I have 10,000 posts, I do more listening these days. Part of that is because there are enough other people here to help out that it isn't necessary for me to try and answer every question as I did in the past. You'll notice certain people (Woodsters Outdoors, Sparky-Watts)* that seemed to reply to every topic. That's the way they are. I'm one of those too, but like the others I mentioned, I just don't have the time for it right now.

Is it bad to have some people give all the answers? Well, in the instance where others feel left out then yes. When all they can reply with is "I agree with so and so", then the forums are not serving their purpose. The forums are here for discussion.

I remember way back when the term "Markwell" developed. People were competing to be the first one to provide a link to a previous thread about whatever the topic was. It effectively killed plenty of new threads, and likely turned many newbies from the forums (I don't dare ask a question since someone will just Markwell me to death)

Markwell made a plea to only use the term for good and not to prematurely end threads and everything calmed down. The forum regulars, who you despise in your original post, were instrumental in teaching everyone the real definition of Markwell. Forum life returned to normal again.

There will always be something (or someone) that riles up the forums, but it's through the combined efforts of the moderators and the regulars that keep this place on the right track.

* this was a long time ago, actually

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
Point proven

Okay, I'll try to bring it back on topic. But I'm not quite sure what the topic is.

You have basically said that things in the forum are wrong and unfair, but that you are going to accept it.

Why? If you think something is wrong you should try to change it, not complain about it.

But I think you're going about it the wrong way. If you want to make a difference you need to present your opinions in a logical manner and keep your emotions in check. You also have to accept the idea that change doesn't happen overnight, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

At the risk of being warned by a moderator, I have to tell you that your opening post makes you sound paranoiac and bitter. I don't think you are, but it does sound that way.

I think the general points of the thread were proven by the first few repliers. Saxman I agree with the first of your reply but second guess the end. In my humble opinion the regulars do not have the same view points of the general populous from what I have seen. What trouble me at times with a little further thought (topic shift and not the general feelings of my original post) is that it is said if you have a question about something you feel is wrong bring it up in the forums and that can not be done when a thought is either disregarded as dumb by the minority (powerful people in the forums) or is taken off topic and closed by mods or the original question / issue lost in smart aleckness.

And for the record you can't make a point and win (for lack of better words) when you get into an arguement / discussion with another cacher and they change their mask to their mod mask. Not naming names but it has happened to me in the past.

Edited by 5¢
I think the general points of the thread were proven by the first few repliers. Saxman I agree with the first of your reply but second guess the end. In my humble opinion the regulars do not have the same view points of the general populous from what I have seen. What trouble me at times with a little further thought (topic shift and not the general feelings of my original post) is that it is said if you have a question about something you feel is wrong bring it up in the forums and that can not be done when a thought is either disregarded as dumb by the minority (powerful people in the forums) or is taken off topic and closed by mods or the original question / issue lost in smart aleckness.

Ah yes, I hadn't quite gotten to that point yet (I didn't want to be too wordy) :blink:

The problems with the regulars, is that we've seen every topic time and time again. One of the reasons I only seem to post in Off-Topic these days is that I need a break from the same-old. When I feel like venturing into general (er, Geocaching Topics), I only read a couple of threads instead of all of them like I used to. I think this helps me be positive and not get so involved when the carp hits the air movement device. You'll notice my name isn't near the end of locked threads anymore :blink:

And for the record you can't make a point and win (for lack of better words) when you get into an arguement / discussion with another cacher and they change their mask to their mod mask. Not naming names but it has happened to me in the past.

That's right. One of the things that is difficult for the mods is "when do I switch to mod mode?"

I know I'm not perfect when it comes to this, but I'm learning. This time last year, CO Admin and I were mortal enemies (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit :blink: ) Now I'm going though that same thing with another forum member, but this time I'm on the mod side and seeing it from an entirely new perspective.

Just fly below the radar for awhile, it's not as bad as you think it is

The problems with the regulars, is that we've seen every topic time and time again. One of the reasons I only seem to post in Off-Topic these days is that I need a break from the same-old. When I feel like venturing into general (er, Geocaching Topics), I only read a couple of threads instead of all of them like I used to. I think this helps me be positive and not get so involved...

That's the ticket! Sax, that sounds like a testimonial (maybe Groundspeak can use that to promote premium memberships)!

Really, $.05, the forums are a very small part of geocaching. If you don't care for them, avoid them. If you have a passion for the forums, maybe that other place (if you're not a premium member the link probably won't work) is the place for you.

I know I go there sometimes, when no one is looking, and I’m exasperated. :blink::blink: :blink:

The problems with the regulars, is that we've seen every topic time and time again.

So? take a break and let the rest of the world get a word in edgewise (no one specific, all are welcome)

Im going to bed. These last few days,(of reading the forums) and the last few "angst" remarks have really gotten to me. I'll just log my DNF tomorrow.-'

PTO

[edit to include]

Really, $.05, the forums are a very small part of geocaching. If you don't care for them, avoid them.

Yeah, an newbie with questions should just Stay Away?

Get over yourselves

Yup/Click/Off/

Edited by Pto
In my humble opinion the regulars do not have the same view points of the general populous from what I have seen.

I am going to address only this one narrow point from the quote above. I figure the population of cachers who post in the forums is relatively small. A larger, but not near the whole, read and never post. I have seen times from local forums where people brought up the same issues that have caused angst in these forums. Often the issues are the same and the arguments that arise are the same. The difference is that there is more of a level of niceness to it because they all know each other and know that they might run into each other at events or caches. That tempers things, which is probably good.

Here, people might feel more free to be opinionated since they might never meet the people they are arguing with. Are some people more assertive than others? Do some seem downright rude? Well, Yes! But that is the way of the internet. Go to any hobby forum that covers an area larger than a state or so, and you will likely see the same thing. Annonymity makes that easier. Then add the fact that words can be written, yet read in ways that are not intended. The written word can come across cold at times when maybe the writer did not intend that. Or the reader might be more sensetive than the writer expected. It happens. I have also seen plenty of times where what I viewed as a polite but strong debate was interpreted as an attack.

Anyway, Those who do post alot here have a tendancy to be people who really are involved with the hobby. Sure, there are some who show up and post and are not really into it, but I bet the people you are concerned about are also very interested in caching. I haven't seen their issues or opinions being all that different from what I have seen in smaller forums except that the smaller forums are often friendlier.

At the same time, I have seen people be very helpful in these forums. I have also witnessed true friendships made here. I have made some of those myself.

In the end, I don't think it is all as bad as you perceive it to be. Angst certainly arises, but angst is what you make of it. Lean back and relax and don't stress, and it is no big deal. Take things personally and it is. That is just the nature of internet forums. I am sure that many a psychology or sociology dissertation could be written on it. It is what it is, but I do think that outside of how they are handled or perceived in terms of niceties, that most of the issues addressed in these forums are ones that arise in the general community. It really is more about how they are written about here and how people read them.

And of course there are those who happily cache, never read any forum whatsoever, and are obliviously happy. There is nothing wrong with that either.

The problems with the regulars, is that we've seen every topic time and time again. One of the reasons I only seem to post in Off-Topic these days is that I need a break from the same-old. When I feel like venturing into general (er, Geocaching Topics), I only read a couple of threads instead of all of them like I used to. I think this helps me be positive and not get so involved...

That's the ticket! Sax, that sounds like a testimonial (maybe Groundspeak can use that to promote premium memberships)!

Really, $.05, the forums are a very small part of geocaching. If you don't care for them, avoid them. If you have a passion for the forums, maybe that other place (if you're not a premium member the link probably won't work) is the place for you.

I know I go there sometimes, when no one is looking, and I’m exasperated. :blink::blink: :blink:

My "smartalekness" has been honed to a fine edge in the OT Forum.

I think that envy of

(powerful people in the forums)

is small change's real problem.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: People can ONLY have power if you give it to them.

I would hardly equate forum popularity to power. People become popular for many reasons which are evident. But those same traits make them unpopular with others.

I have never even heard of Small Change before today, but based on your style and tactics, I prolly won't be opening another thread that you post any time soon. :blink:

OMG my post was LONG.... I guess another internet thing is the inability to see just how wordy you can get when posting! :blink:

Verbage need not be an elitist tool of the lawyers and scientists.

Expressing your opinion in a well-thought series of paragraphs has been the method for hundreds of years until we started receiving our news in scrollers on the bottom of the screen and attempted to ensnare people's attention quicker than the next guy so that our message made it into their brains while they clicked channels and only by repetition did it eventually mean anything.

Your post barely made it to the length of most Shakespearian soliloques. If the message has made it, then web forums are better than most internet media for allowing a full discourse of ideas.

As Carleen said, the written word does not always translate the actual emotion intended, and the relative annonimity of posting on a forum aggravates the problem.

People (myself included) also tend to jump to many conclusions based, not on another poster's intent, but rather on their own preconceived notions about that poster, and even on their own mood at that particular time.

In the past, both here and on other forums that I visit, I had the tendency to immediately respond to what I perceived to be an insult or attack, and it simply aggravated the situation. Then, I learned a much more effective way of communicating my thoughts on the message boards:

When I feel especially compelled to respond to someone I believe is attacking me, I respond in Notepad first. I then leave that perticular thread, and do something else for 20-30 minutes, whether that is reading other threads or even leaving the PC entirely. Then I return, re-read the thread that got me worked up, and read what I wrote in Notepad. I can then cut/paste what I want.

Usually I find that, after taking a 20-30 minute break, I've calmed down and look at the post with a fresher perspective. More often than not, I then delete either most of or even all of what I initially wrote, and instead repond in a more civilized manner which doesn't aggravate and inflame the discussion. It works, and it's a tactic that more people should use. After all, delaying your response for 30 minutes is not going to lose you the opportunity to repond. The boards will still be there, and the discussion will more likely maintain a more positive level rather than spinning out of control.

Just my 2 cents.

Some fall into all the categories

Hmmm, my two plus years around in here has me thinking that the majority of the regular posters fall into all of those categories. :blink:

From my research of talking to the nonforum reading geocaching community their views are mostly completely opposite of what the minority of forum posters who rule this forum thinks and states

Why don't you share some of that research with us? I'll agree that the forum participants are a small and vocal percentage of the general geocaching community. That's going to be the case with any forum or chat group. :blink:

Do most non-forum cachers think following or flaunting the guidelines to hide a cache is a good thing?

Where do they get ideas for new hides , or answers to simple questions?

Sure it gets a little nasty in here on occasion, but remember this is the forums where no one will actually meet the person they are conversing with unless they choose to. It's not really ugly, just impersonal at times. :huh:

You should see some of the mud slung in one of my chef-world forums. :blink:

Oh and slightly emotional. For example I'm getting all verklempt right now. :blink:

I've learned a lot from the forums, and I'm a better cacher because of them. Sure, I guess most folks (including me) aren't always charmers, but I don't see these forums as an all-out melee. It's run well, the moderators do their human best, the regulars are generally likeable, there is a minimum of trolls, and most people tend to check themselves when something aggravates them. IMHO, you're making a whole lot of something out of a whole lot of nothing--there's no place anywhere where there isn't going to be occasional friction, personality differences, or smart-aleckness between people. Just roll with it.

As a newbie to the geocaching forums. I originally came here for answers that I couldn't find on the web site. And I probably posted a couple of questions that have been answered many times before, but only because I just figured out the default search is for the past 30 days only! -- :( (Effective today I'm searching out the older threads I never knew existed - :( )

And in the past couple months I have been frustrated in trying to get answers because of the points that 5¢ mentions. (but kept trying...)

I don't like the negative tones that some parts of the forum seem to have. But I'm no stranger to the Internet and realize that's the way some areas are. No problem for me. I ignore it and move on.

Team GPSax.

I remember way back when the term "Markwell" developed. ... It effectively killed plenty of new threads, and likely turned many newbies from the forums

I hope that the regular members of the forums don't get jaded to the questions asked by not-so-regular members. It would help to have the answers posted (or Markwell-ed) even if it is for the 15th time in history.

Or better yet: Why not update the web site's FAQ on topics that come up more than a couple of times? Instead of instucting users to SEARCH the forums for the answers first. If I'd found all my answers in the two Geocaching books I bought and in the FAQ's on the web site, I might not have ever made it to the forums, but I'm glad I did.

If the regular users would first respond with a very helpful answer, assuming that the original poster might be a newbie. Then others can add their 'me too's' and other 'smart aleky' responses. (I like the humorous responses too, it makes me feel like you people are human) :(

I like the discussions, I really do. Often the best ideas come from a kind of brain-storming sessions, like in a web forum.

Keep it light-hearted. People might get the wrong impression of geocachers in general, if forum users stray too often into the negative realm. Lurkers are watching cachers in the forums just like muggles are in the field.

I waould post a witty comment to this thread if I had any idea of what it's about...When I have a question about GC, it 's usually answered in the forums quite nicely, thank you.

glad you said that...i was beginning to wonder why i was having such difficulty following this thread :(