Northern Nj Cachers

Team Perrito Blanco

WELCOME!

We are up in Sussex County (NW NJ) where there are lots of great places to get out. If you want to meet a few other geocachers, come to our TRL Caching Through The Snow Event, Saturday December 4 in Sparta, NJ. Watch the posts for more information.

edited as I FINALLY figured out how to link to cache listing page. :(

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

Hi there

I am in Bergen County. I havent met any other cachers yet, but who knows. I have only been doing it since June. My schedule is a tad bit jumbled for events right now, most caches I get are a night before (or even morning of as were todays). I also don't post too much on these forums - no offense to anybody who does, but these forums are pretty harsh at times. I am not one to back down from a good debate, but I don't go looking for rock throwing contests either. :(

-dave

Hi there

I am in Bergen County.  I havent met any other cachers yet, but who knows.  I have only been doing it since June.  My schedule is a tad bit jumbled for events right now, most caches I get are a night before (or even morning of as were todays).  I also don't post too much on these forums - no offense to anybody who does, but these forums are pretty harsh at times.  I am not one to back down from a good debate, but I don't go looking for rock throwing contests either.    :(

-dave

I haven't seen too much real bashing in the NorthEast forums. There are one or two personalities that tend to clash, but for the most part (99.5%) of any bashing is usually in jest. I guess I qualify as a northern NJ cacher, even though I live a bit further south than most of the "gang". I enjoy the great company of the northern NJ caches and the type of caching that they tend to do (mountains and wooded terrain). I'm sure that I speak for all the group when I say welcome to those new to the addiction in our area. Come out and join us whenever you can. The hikes and events are posted in these forums regularly.

Hi there

I am in Bergen County.  I havent met any other cachers yet, but who knows.  I have only been doing it since June.  My schedule is a tad bit jumbled for events right now, most caches I get are a night before (or even morning of as were todays).  I also don't post too much on these forums - no offense to anybody who does, but these forums are pretty harsh at times.  I am not one to back down from a good debate, but I don't go looking for rock throwing contests either.    :mad:

-dave

I haven't seen too much real bashing in the NorthEast forums. There are one or two personalities that tend to clash, but for the most part (99.5%) of any bashing is usually in jest. I guess I qualify as a northern NJ cacher, even though I live a bit further south than most of the "gang". I enjoy the great company of the northern NJ caches and the type of caching that they tend to do (mountains and wooded terrain). I'm sure that I speak for all the group when I say welcome to those new to the addiction in our area. Come out and join us whenever you can. The hikes and events are posted in these forums regularly.

Well said Quoddy! I'm in Morris County and it's probably not immediately obvious, but there's a great deal of good natured teasing that goes on. I can see where it would be viewed as bashing if you didn't realize the people interacting were friends.

None of this is serious (remember, it's just about finding tupperware in the woods), and I've met a great deal of interesting, and really nice folks through geocaching. I brought a friend along to Avroair's last event (who was brand new to geocaching) and he remarked at how everyone was friendly and intelligent - and really enjoyed himself.

Of course, he quickly remarked that BrianSnat smelled like old socks and seemed to be drunk (again). :mad: Thank god Harrald wasn't there or we'd all have had to hide our valuables, money, and women (he's a TV star you know - and my wife thinks he's adorable!)

Seriously though - it's a great group - some seriously nice folks and beautiful areas to explore!

i am origionally from bergen county, now living in queens but i cache in NNJ often as well. let me tell you, these guys are all butt heads; especially this Hart guy. he pays this really pretty lady to pretend that she is his wife when he comes to goecaching gatherings. i mean, when you see him in person, you will realize this right off the bat.

Edited by dboggny
Then why's this little guy been sitting there all cold and lonely for four days without a FTF?  Poor thing is going to think its unloved.

Hmmm, could it be the thorns, the rattlesnakes, the off-trail hiking without offroad vehicles, the steep hike, the ticks.... what, no bears?

Hi, Team PB, from Robeliz and CFS529. Happy Hunting.

Edited by Robeliz
i am origionally from bergen county, now living in queens but i cache in NNJ often as well. let me tell you, these guys are all butt heads; especially this Hart guy. he pays this really pretty lady to pretend that she is his wife when he comes to goecaching gatherings. i mean, when you see him in person, you will realize this right off the bat.

I can dispute none of what he said. The woman was extraordinarily pretty (and she did find Harrald adorable).

She did mention that DBoggNY smelled like a back seat of a NYC taxicab splashed liberally with formaldehyde...... I guess some women find that attractive! :mad:

Hi there

these forums are pretty harsh at times.  I am not one to back down from a good debate, but I don't go looking for rock throwing contests either.

I haven't seen too much real bashing in the NorthEast forums. There are one or two personalities that tend to clash, but for the most part (99.5%) of any bashing is usually in jest.

Well, some of us DO bash others a little more than most, but there is a special love hate thing with me and Team Bam Bam. Biological brothers tend to be that way.

I recommend that you come out to an event or two, get to know some of the locals, and then jump back in the forums and you will see that this really is a community which cares about each other.

I will also self promote here, as long as you are in Bergen County, be sure to stop in at my Floopy Bait cache in Waldwick. There is a second one in the same park (Field of Dreams and Streams) and both can be bagged rain or shine. I would not wait for snow for either one though.

I'll agree with the statement that bashing seems to be not too prevalent on the NE forum, but "out there" in the Geocaching forums, it can be insane. Trust me, I know all about good natured ribbing (take a look over on www.howwhatwhy,com to see some forums where there is a lot of ribbing among the regulars, but no bashing) Its the comments such as "anybody who logs a find like this is an idiot" and things along that line that leave a bad taste in my mouth. As has been said ump-teen times before, its a game. It's a more important game to some than others, but if overnight, Mr. Irish decided to pack it in and shut down this site, life would still go on. Sure, there would be a fun element of some peoples lives missing, but nobody is going to die over it. Just like if you go for a job interview and claim "I geocache and have 5,283 finds" not too many employers are going to care. So why does anybody care if somebody logs two finds when they should have logged one? Yes its nice to be able to look at stats, but when it boils down to it, what do they matter. Just my take on the general atmosphere. Thanks for lending me the soapbox.

-dave

You all suck! :P

Avroair here from Essex county. If you are new to the sport, welcome and feel free to go out and try any of BrianSnat's or HartClimb's caches they are always enjoyable despite the salami (did I spell it right Dave and Alan!) that they leave in their caches!!!

My next event will be Geo-Bashing Jello Wrestling --- bring a friend.

Hey Phonedave... If you want to meet some really fun and nice cachers... come to Team Rampant Lion's Caching Event on Dec 4th on the banks of Lake Mohawk...

You'll meet cachers from all walks of life and I can guarantee a good time :D ...

We started going to the NE caching events last summer and now will only miss one if other commitments ruin our day... :D Or we have a sailboat race B) ...

sailboat racing is the only sport that takes prescidence over caching for us :lol: ...

And... yes... that's our boat in our avatar... for anyone wondering why sailing is first for us... a lot more $$$ invested!

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors
Hey Phonedave... If you want to meet some really fun and nice cachers... come to Team Rampant Lion's Caching Event on Dec 4th on the banks of Lake Mohawk...

You'll meet cachers from all walks of life and I can guarantee a good time  ...

We started going to the NE caching events last summer and now will only miss one if other commitments ruin our day...  Or we have a sailboat race  ...

sailboat racing is the only sport that takes prescidence over caching for us  ...

And... yes... that's our boat in our avatar... for anyone wondering why sailing is first for us... a lot more $$$ invested

Thanks for the invite, however that would be a shotgun totin' day.

Between a firearms license and a phesant stamp costing almost $70, I have to get afield as many Saturdays during the two month upland game season as possible to justify my other hobby.

Someday I'll be able to plan ahead far enough to get out to an event, at least thats what I tell myself. :lol:

-dave

Hello, Allez Comp is from Sussex County...If you need some easy caches to start out with, check out his and the UsXEMOXKIds.. Just type 07874...You should find a cache for all skill levels close by...Well almost all, just not the *** 1/2 stars yet!!!

Allez will leave them caches for the pro's to place in Morris & Essex county....

Hope to meet you on the trails!!!

You'll meet cachers from all walks of life and I can guarantee a good time  ...

We started going to the NE caching events last summer and now will only miss one if other commitments ruin our day...  Or we have a sailboat race  ...

sailboat racing is the only sport that takes prescidence over caching for us  ...

And... yes... that's our boat in our avatar... for anyone wondering why sailing is first for us... a lot more $$$ invested

Thanks for the invite, however that would be a shotgun totin' day.

Between a firearms license and a phesant stamp costing almost $70, I have to get afield as many Saturdays during the two month upland game season as possible to justify my other hobby.

Someday I'll be able to plan ahead far enough to get out to an event, at least thats what I tell myself. :D

-dave

Phonedave,

While the cache competition is during the day (it is not actually the event), the Event get-together starts at 5:30 PM. Unless you are really hardcore and hunt in the dark :lol: , you can bag your limit and come join us for some excellent brews. Kroghs Brewpub makes all their own on premise and they are yummy! Mmmm :D Nutbrown :D Mmmm.

It would be great to have you join us as right now there are 15 different teams and about 28 people planning to attend.

Phonedave,

While the cache competition is during the day (it is not actually the event), the Event get-together starts at 5:30 PM. Unless you are really hardcore and hunt in the dark  , you can bag your limit and come join us for some excellent brews. Kroghs Brewpub makes all their own on premise and they are yummy! Mmmm  Nutbrown  Mmmm.

It would be great to have you join us as right now there are 15 different teams and about 28 people planning to attend.

You are tempting me. Maybe if I can convincemy wife to drive while I sleep.

See, I live right by the George Washington Bridge and I hunt right by Sparta (Flatbrook-Roy WMA) so its drive out for sunrise, hunt, drive back, drive out to event, drive back and fall asleep on the way <_<

But ... the lure of the German market may be enought to convince her. I'll let you know.

-dave

Edited by Phonedave