Need Help Saving Waypoints To Gsak

kaman

I need help downloading waypoints to my GSAK program. I go through the motions...1. tick the waypoints 2. click download 3. ' save as' window comes up asking me where I want to save file. I try GSAK and in that are about 6 choices . I have tried all 6 and tried to save them expecting them to be saved into the GSAK waypoint window, but they never get there. Any ideas Thanks

once you save your waypoints into a folder somewhere (anywhere)

you have to load them into GSAK - downloading and saving them does only that.

then open GSAK and click the open button (or file/open) you will get a dialog

right at the top is a radio button for loading a single file or folder full.

click that and then at the right end of that long box at the top - browse to the folder where you have saved them all.

---

Now if you are downloading loc files you won't get a lot of information loading into GSAK.

If you are a member you should be downloading the gsx files. AND! as a member you should then be using pocket querries so you get them all in one file. You can then load the whole file in one shot by dragging and dropping or opening the pq file. You will need and should have an unzip program so you can download your pq's in zip format.

--

take a look through the help files in GSAK. This is a fantastic and very powerful program. You won't regret it if you pay for the support for this program.

You can then use GSAK to upload the waypoints that you select to your GPS.

<_<

Compucash,

Thanks SO much for the advice. I was able to finally able to download succesfully! I am now trying to export to my GPS. I assumed I should go to export and then chhose my GPS but I dont see my GPS listed. Is that the right procedure. BTW... I will buy the GSAK program if I am sure I will be able to finally transfer waypoints to my GPS. I have bought more programs then I care to think about without having any luck in this process.

what brand is your gps?

just looked and I only see magellan and garmin in the setup dialog.

will have to check on that.

it is too bad that you had to spend money for programs not needed -

not to say I told you so at all, but if you had come here and ask us

we might have been able to save some frustration and money for you -

been there done that so know how it feels.

no export is not the right way -

go to the gps menu item - do the set up if you can - then send to gps from the same menu.

edit

---------------

according to the on-line help (web site) there are only two brands that you can uplaod waypoints to - garmin and magellan. There are some other programs out there that may support more brands if yours in not one of these 2.

Edited by CompuCash

Thank you NightPilot

I downloaded Cachemate, the trial version, last night and I just got the coordinates for the location, not any of the dialog from the owner of the cache. I guess I'll buy it and see what comes down the pike then.

I've only been at this for about 10 days and it's all Greek to me. I'm only now starting to see similar phrases that I think might someday make sense to me.

There sure is an assumption on the industry's part that us newbies know a lot more than we do. :mad:

If you're just clicking on the caches on the search page and downloading, you're getting .loc files, which don't have the information you're looking for. In order to get all the information on the page, you have to be a premium member and get .gpx files via pocket queries. Without the pocket queries, nothing will help you, because the information just isn't in the .loc files - only the name and coordinates.

If you're just clicking on the caches on the search page and downloading, you're getting .loc files, which don't have the information you're looking for. In order to get all the information on the page, you have to be a premium member and get .gpx files via pocket queries. Without the pocket queries, nothing will help you, because the information just isn't in the .loc files - only the name and coordinates.

careful NightPilot -

you can download individual gpx files from the cache page - I do it all the time when I search or find a cache that does not show up in GSAK from my pq. But as you mentioned, you can't get gpx files unless you are a paid member.

Why are they not in my pq? Because I live in a cache rich area and have set my pg to 200. I went after several caches yesterday that were less than 10 miles from home but not in my pq. Boosted the pq to 300 last night. Waiting for it to come in so I can see if it included the 5 finds I got yesterday.

I believe if you do the check box thing in the cache list to download files you only get loc files.

---

If you go to the GSAK web site [ http://gsak.net/ ] and download the program they include a sample pq file to load so you can see what you get. Also go to their help pages there is a great deal of info. If you click the ? button you get a screen shot of the main window and then you can click on anything you want to get info.

I am a premium member and had downloaded GSAK and Plucker. However when I sync'd my M130 Palm, there's an error message "This device cannot handle ZLib compressed databases."

I bought this M130 two years ago this month. You'd think it could handle ZLib databases as there are older model Palms with that capability.

It can handle ZLib compressed databases if you install zlib.prc. You have to install the library before the Palm can use it. I've only seen that error message when zlib was missing. It's available at most sites that have Palm files, and it comes bundled with most apps that require it. It may be hiding in the Plucker zip file. The latest Plucker download includes Syszlib.prc, which does zlib compression/decompression.

Bless You Nightpilot, we did it! Thanks so very much for your insight and information.

I went searching for the syszlib.prc & the zlib.prc. Found them online and had to uninstall Plucker off my computer then reinstall Plucker Desktop, Viewer & that other thing that gives "extra views." Plucker's website was kind of confusing to me so I just downloaded the Desktop and the viewer version that said zip. Whew! Quite an accomplishment for a "computer illiterate" girl like me. :D

If I could be so bold as to ask a couple more questions -

Can I save more than one at a time to my palm?

Can I somehow see maps?

You can save as many as you like on your Palm, with a caveat. Every time you convert the same channel, you'll overwrite the old file on your Palm. If you want to add more Plucker docs without overwriting, you'll need to configure a new channel. I don't see the point, but you might have a good reason that I don't see. I have many Plucker docs on my Palm, everything from ebooks to stray text files I wanted to be able to view easily. Plucker can convert any text or html file, you just need to configure a channel, or even easier, install it to give a "convert to Plucker" option whenever you right-click on a file. That's the easiest way to get text files done, but you really want to configure the geocaching channel carefully.

I don't use Plucker desktop much anymore. I'm using Sunrise Desktop, which is availabel on SourceForge.net. It's much faster and easier to configure, and it makes docs that the Plucker viewer on the Palm can open, standard Plucker docs. It's java-based, so it runs on any platform.

No way to see the maps, because the maps aren't included in the pocket queries. The maps aren't even on the geocaching.com site - they're just links to other sites.

More details:

I'm using a Magellan Meridian Color.

Here is what I'm attempting, please advise if this is incorrect.

In GSAK I go to "GPS" and select "Send waypoints..."

Then a new window pops up.

I select the number of waypoints I wish to send and then hit "Send". A window appears saying "Generating GPS file." then a window saying "Sending waypoints". It lasts about 30 seconds and then the error comes up.

I still get no communication between my handheld and GSAK.

Thanks again.

-Cole

I guess this may be where I ask the questions.

After I get thru the new stuff and fiure it out, should be on my way as I wish to download to my laptop and take the laptop with me, after which I will fire up my old Palm Pilot IIIE and use that since paper is a pain when wet out.

I have downloaded GSAK, will need something for my palm later and also will need to learn how to upload waypoints to my Garmin. Lots to learn but will take in baby steps.

Upgraded tp premium and want to downlod a nmber of items at one time. If I click on a single location and bring it up I can save it in .GPX format.

But when I go to the list of all locations near my home, and click on a group, The only thing I get is a .LOC file.

I have it set to save as gsk however the file name is loc.

I guess this may be where I ask the questions.

After I get thru the new stuff and fiure it out, should be on my way as I wish to download to my laptop and take the laptop with me, after which I will fire up my old Palm Pilot IIIE and use that since paper is a pain when wet out.

I have downloaded GSAK, will need something for my palm later and also will need to learn how to upload waypoints to my Garmin. Lots to learn but will take in baby steps.

Upgraded tp premium and want to downlod a nmber of items at one time. If I click on a single location and bring it up I can save it in .GPX format.

But when I go to the list of all locations near my home, and click on a group, The only thing I get is a .LOC file.

I have it set to save as gsk however the file name is loc.

You are doing it the right way - slowly.

The only way you can get multiple caches in a single shot is with Pocket Queries.

You CAN get the gpx files one at a time from the respective cache page.

cc