Event Used As A Personal Tb Collection

WH

There was an event held very recently where the organizer asked that each person attending bring a TB. When I arrived at the event, there was a box for the TB's with a big sign instructing us to drop TB's only, no trading.

This made me wonder if the event owner was using the event as a way for collecting a large number of TB's for his own personal use.

In disgust, I left the event and took my TB with me.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

That sounds odd.  Can we have a link to the event?

Im not sure if its a good idea. I dont want this to turn into a flame session against the event owner.

Well if its a sock puppet, we won't know who it really is. Did you find out what he had in mind for the TB?

Edited by briansnat
That sounds odd.  Can we have a link to the event?

Im not sure if its a good idea. I dont want this to turn into a flame session against the event owner.

Well if its a sock puppet, we won't know who it really is. Did you find out what he had in mind for the TB?

Good point. Here it is.

It says nothing on the event page about not allowing TB trades. I didn't discover this until I arrived.

I have to wonder what they would have done with the moving cache that they kidnapped if no one had brought any travel bugs to pay the ransom.

Personally, I don't like this "ransom game" thing, unless the owner of the kidnapped item is agreeable to it.

A local cacher had a TB that was kidnapped. It was a journal-type notebook that was supposed to stay in the area. The owners of the TB had just gotten married, and local cachers were supposed to write advice in the notebook as they found it and moved it on. A "kidnapper" grabbed it and demanded that the owners hide a cache to get it back. The owners refused to play that game and they haven't seen the TB since. That was well over a year ago.

Maybe reading the "Roamer Cache" logs will be enlightening...

It seems that many people found this event (and the associated cache) entertaining.

If you didn't want to pay the entry fee of 1 TB you didn't have to. As long as they move, right?

I don't get it? Is the OP complaining because they weren't IN on the plan/joke/whatever?

We ARE talking about travel bugs right? Concern for their welfare and whatnot? I'm assuming all those bugs don't belong to the OP..... :blink:

Great wisdom from a master TB finder:

"It's a web of life, in my opinion, and absolutely any movement is the next step in reaching it's goal. That weird side trip to Florida, may be the next step to Canada. And a side trip may have saved it from going MIA by pilferage in Pennsylvania."

bthomas on the subject of TB movement 10/27/2003

Wouldn't it have been better to post a complaint thread about these bugs a couple months down the road assuming the bugs haven't moved by then?

Or is this really a complaint about someone puffing up their TB stats? In which case, who cares?

"Everyone plays their own game. There is no sense in trying to police another's mindset as long as it falls within the general parameters of the game." Me (quoting myself from the poll that I posted on 10/23/03.)

Latest log from event in question:

I had a great time for most of the evening. The food, drink, and conversation was high level. BUT, as I was preparing to leave, we discovered some cacher(s) had stolen almost all the ransom bugs! I am not unable to complete the delivery to ChainGang and I fear repercussions. The thieves left a note in the box that said, "Scr*w you ChainGang". I hope we are contacted soon about the fate of the TBs. Instead of one owner knowing who took his cache, we now have thirty-five bug owners not knowing who the faceless cowards are.

Latest log from event in question:

I had a great time for most of the evening. The food, drink, and conversation was high level. BUT, as I was preparing to leave, we discovered some cacher(s) had stolen almost all the ransom bugs! I am not unable to complete the delivery to ChainGang and I fear repercussions. The thieves left a note in the box that said, "Scr*w you ChainGang". I hope we are contacted soon about the fate of the TBs. Instead of one owner knowing who took his cache, we now have thirty-five bug owners not knowing who the faceless cowards are.

Reading the logs, I think the thing is a joke that you're taking too seriously. Well I hope its a joke.

This "sock puppet" has actually been a very good member of the community here. They have organized a CITO event in the past and their now stolen/archived cache called "Vesica Pisces" was a true brain-beater.

Also, it is a team's account. While this team is not a traditional team ("hey look, we can log all of the family's hides together AND separately")...it has still been more than one person.

I doubt the people associated with this account are really looking to harm geocaching in any way based on prior good acts and the fact that many people were able to log a moving cache that might not be in any one area for longer than a week.

In disgust, I left the event and took my TB with me.

If you're not sure what was going on, maybe you should have hung around and found out instead of huffing off?

Or were you sure of this as the purpose prior to your exit?

Oops. Read the whole thread. You shouldn't have huffed off. You should have asked around or stayed instead of jumping to a conclusion and posting it here.

As a general question, this would be a fine topic for discussion, but you're singling out a cacher and an event that you have no idea about their intent or the outcome of the event.

Edited by trippy1976

The Sock Puppets "The Constabulary" and "ChainGang" have really p'ed me off (excuse the language). Why, because they are fooling around with my Travel Bug. I assume they are playing some stupid game, but I don't want my T.B. involved in their poorly documented events. They have already annoyed other geocachers, now they're annoying me. So if either geocacher is listen, please place my T.B. in a normal cache and let him be on his way.

:)

Edited by Meriadoc
The Sock Puppets "The Constabulary" and "ChainGang" have really pissed me off (excuse the language). Why, because they are arsing around with my Travel Bug. I assume they are playing some stupid game, but I don't want my T.B. involved in their poorly documented events. They have already annoyed other geocachers, now they're annoying me. So if either geocacher is listen, please place my T.B. in a normal cache and let him be on his way.

Have you sent them a friendly and direct note?

I've sent a message to "ChainGang" the sock puppet that currently possesses my T.B., I quote:

"I am both confused and concerned about the safety of my travel bug "Dougal the Dog". Please explain your plans for my T.B. and cut out the convict B.S."

I haven't receive a reply.

Of course he's probably playing up to his character, however their nonsense is starting to annoy. Too many T.B’s already disappear without having these clowns fake a kidnapping.

:)

Edited by Meriadoc

Oh great, pirates.

I guess mommy and daddy didn't give them enough attention when they were a child.

Who sponsored this? Oh yeah, a very good member of the community. It seems like we are finding out about their intent and the outcome of the event.

As long as they move, right? guess not.

Edited by BlueDeuce

My T.B. has been out of circulation since: 11/18/2004. The "Return to the Scene of the Crime" event cache was poorly documented. While "ChainGang" does appear to be releasing the T.B., Of the 25 T.B. he has collected only 6 have been released. At this rate my T.B. could be out of circulation for months.

<_<

Edited by Meriadoc
Is it just me, or is geocaching getting very strange lately?

I don't think it's just you. I've seen some strange things too. Everyone wants to keep adding new twists. Trying more and more to be unique to the point of strangeness. That's fine, as long as it doesn't adversely affect others caches and/or travel bugs. I'm glad my TB's were not involved in this particular/peculiar event. It really was not very well documented. The event pages have links leading all over the place. Its confusing to say the least. I hope it all gets straightened out.

"Is it just me, or is geocaching getting very strange lately?"

that's what happens when too many people pick up an "underground" hobby. people come along and want to take an established activity and tweak it with their own unique touch or apply rules that keep it within their comfort zone. i guess its fine to a degree, maybe a sort of evolution in action, but it gets out of hand when too many people get involved. especially in something like geocaching where the "rules" are sort of open to interpretation and the "playing field" is as diverse as the face of the earth.

i've seen it happen in another underground sport i was involved in. as it got more mainstream it became watered down by the influx of people who thought it needed adjusting. now its at the point where i have only a casual interest in it because its hardly the sport that originally attracted me.

My complaints have resulted in the Chaingang releasing my T.B. While no malice was intended or caused, a lot of annoyance could have been prevented if an explaination of their intended actions had been given.

Thanks to the Chaingang for quick release of my T.B.

:blink:

Perhaps if the people who chose participate had used their own tbs instead of hijacking others…. :blink:

I may be a party-pooper, but I have never cared for the “We were only having fun and nothing got hurt” excuse.

One of our TBs was in the "ransom" group, and it didn't bother us a bit. We didn't consider it "hijacked"; it was just taking a weird little side trip on its travels. At least it was still in play the whole time -- not lost in someone's junk drawer or stripped of its tag and added to some kid's toy collection.

The whole ransom thing had the potential to be an amusing bit of history in the bug's log; unfortunately there weren't any interesting log notes or pictures to go along with it. (All the randsom bugs got the same short pickup/retrieval log notes.) Unique logs and accompanying pictures would have made it much more fun. But then again, nearly all regular bug logs tend to be something like "picked it up in xxx cache. will move along soon," followed by some period ranging from a day to several months before they're dropped off. So this was really no different from the "standard" bug experience.