Geocaching Statistics

TrailGators

For the number of geocaches in a state, you can do a search on that state and look near the top of the results page.  It will list the total number of records.

Cool, thanks!

There are 14578 caches in California!

But there are not 4342 caches in my zipcode? I think the postal code thing is wrong! The neighboring postal code says 4177 and both these zipcodes are in the suburbs of San Diego. I haven't even checked LA or SF!

Edited by TrailGators
But there are not 4342 caches in my zipcode? I think the postal code thing is wrong! The neighboring postal code says 4177 and both these zipcodes are in the suburbs of San Diego. I haven't even checked LA or SF!

The zip code search is just a search from that centerpoint going out 100 miles.

The zip code search is just a search from that centerpoint going out 100 miles.

Ah ha, thanks!

I wonder which zipcode has the most caches within 100 miles of it? My guess would be somewhere in LA.

When I started geocaching, I could do one pocket query for my entire state and still have room left over for Rhode Island. Now, there are over 1000 caches in New Mexico. Not bad for a state that's considered by many to be in another country. At the rate we're going, we'll get our own cache approver before too long and not have to stretch CO_Admin so thin anymore.

Oh wait, I'm moving to CO this weekend, so he'll still be my local approver :blink:

Then again, I can start finding the 1000 caches within 100 miles of Colorado Springs :blink:

That's harder to pin down. People that place caches? People that find caches? What about people that live on the border of a state and cache in both states? I own a cache in Tennessee and have a cache nanny for it - am I in Tennessee or Illinois? Some people find a single cache and never find another - are they in that count?

I think what WOULD be a cool stat would be to find out how many separate logins logged something on a cache in a particular state in say, the last month.

However, currently there is no method to get that information.

I've been googling for stats and found the world record for most caches found in 24 hours:

Some stats from the day:

TOTAL CACHES FOUND - 246

TOTAL DNFs - 56

TOTAL PASSES - 50

TOTAL DISTANCE TRAVELED - 224.5 miles

DISTANCE BETWEEN CACHES (ALL) - average .746 miles

AVERAGE FINDS PER HOUR - 10.25 caches

FIND PERCENTAGE ON SEARCH - 81.45%

AVERAGE TIME PER FIND - one cache every five minutes and 51 seconds

AVERAGE CACHE TIME (ALL) - one every four minutes and 46 seconds

TRAVEL BUGS FOUND - 9

MOST DNFs IN A ROW - 5

LONGEST BREAK - 18 minutes

Our final cache was #246; With Mayo Please, by IceCreamMan.

You can read more about this amazing feat here

I wonder which zipcode has the most caches within 100 miles of it? My guess would be somewhere in LA.

Not sure of the zip code itself, but the last time this came up the record holder was at N 33° 46.500 W 117° 34.500.

I get 6050 cahces within 100 miles from here as of today.

wow . There are only 4400 in the WHOLE of the UK

To get 4400 caches, I have to expand my search radius to include about 4 or 5 states :(

...and I don't mean those tiny New England states either, I'm talking about the large western states

Not sure of the zip code itself, but the last time this came up the record holder was at N 33° 46.500 W 117° 34.500.

I get 6050 cahces within 100 miles from here as of today.

:mad: That's nearly 10 times the saturation we have here. Try 29483 and see what we have to work with. We've already found half of them and all but 7 within 40 miles.

To get 4400 caches, I have to expand my search radius to include about 4 or 5 states :mad:

...and I don't mean those tiny New England states either, I'm talking about the large western states

The weather out here has a lot to do with the high volume of caches. California has over 76000 caches. Snow makes caching in the winter a bit more challenging in other parts of the world!

I have 23 caches in my territory, which is 483,000 sq. km -- somewhat larger than the state of California.

I'm the luckiest cacher in the world, as far as I am concerned. I figure that, if I stick with it, I can clear out my closest 15-20 unfound caches within two years. <_<

Regards,

Anthony