Geocaching Banned - The End Of Geocaching

twilliams

I recently stumbled across a strange passage that seems to answer your question:

"And on the tenth year of the new age, the frog will die. A great darkness will cover the hearts of the people of the woods. The wandering spirits will be bound to the earth, and the voices of the heavens will not reach them. Their numbers will be as dust in their mouths, and the tranquil waters of their past searches will not avail them. Their machines will be abandoned like dung." Nostrodamus

Obviously, GC.com has about six years left. Enjoy it while you can. :lol:

I don't really understand.

Obviously. You missed my point entirely.

Ok well that clears it up. :lol:

To clarify then for you.

You responded to my original post with comments about following the CG guidelines. If you take the time to reread my original post, and comprehend it, you'll find that I do not mention the GC guidelines at all nor are my comments directed at them. The GC guideines have nothing at all to do with my comments. I believe the guidelines are good and should be followed. But again, they have nothing to do with my original comments.

Look at it as a reading comprehension test. Not really too difficult to follow.

I don't really understand.

Obviously. You missed my point entirely.

Ok well that clears it up. <_<

To clarify then for you.

You responded to my original post with comments about following the CG guidelines. If you take the time to reread my original post, and comprehend it, you'll find that I do not mention the GC guidelines at all nor are my comments directed at them. The GC guideines have nothing at all to do with my comments. I believe the guidelines are good and should be followed. But again, they have nothing to do with my original comments.

Look at it as a reading comprehension test. Not really too difficult to follow.

Wooot! you crack me up.

It's funny, wadcutter, you're under the impression that I didn't read your post carefully. Amazingly, I did. Fortunately for someone at my rudimentary reading level there isn't anything very subtle about your post. It's clear what you find annoying - you think some groups of people are trying to tell everyone else how to play the game... for example, as in the forums. Super.

But - you claimed this was going to ruin the game... So I'm confused as to how someone could think that when a] not many cachers read the forums so it's unlikely they could have a ruinous effect on geocaching and b] even if they did, if you don't like what some groups opinion is about how you should...for example trade fairly (you hate that one don't you)... just ignore them, relax, and play the game your own way. There isn't anything that they can do about it, and you don't get your panties in a twist - unless of course you like getting your panties in a twist.... oh wait a minute...

I get it... nevermind.

:ph34r:

-t-

Edited by twilliams

you're under the impression that I didn't read your post carefully. Amazingly, I did.

(snip)

There isn't anything that they can do about it, and you don't get your panties in a twist - unless of course you like getting your panties in a twist.... oh wait a minute...

I get it... nevermind.

<_<

-t-

Obviously you didn't read my post carefully because your initial response to my post had nothing at all to do with my comments.

You seem to be the one with the panties in a twist. I posted a simple opinion and yet you're the one who is running off the head about it.

You obviously read more into my post than what's there.

No panties twisted here. Just doing my thing and posting my opinions. Don't like it? Untwist your own panties. After you've been around this game a while you'll find the people I'm referring to.

Edited by Wadcutter
Just doing my thing and posting my opinions.  Don't like it?  Untwist your own panties.  After you've been around this game a while you'll find the people I'm referring to.

[it was a joke son. smiley and all, not meant personally]

Ok how about this; I'll take responsibility starting this by not letting your sage comments stand without comment. And I'll stay open to the possibility that there are people that, if you actually paid attention to them, would be frustrating.

To stay on topic;

I would think that the best way not to let your problems "ruin the game" is to ignore them. No one has to pay attention to the forums, rule junkies, or whatever ends up bugging you. You say one of "worst additions" to geocaching "is the forum", don't use it.

So, instead of telling me "I don't get it" you might want to do more to explain how my suggestions don't work to solve your issue and what needs to be done to prevent the ultimate demise you are worried about.

Personally, I find people are, in general, extremely helpful on this forum compared to other types of forums. I find people are willing to share their experiences, technical expertise, discoveries, etc. Most people are, especially compared to other forums, seriously open minded. I think the forums do more to help new people into the sport, and bring people together that have been playing a while, than pushing hordes of people out - certainly the growth in the sport would indicate that whatever the effect the forums have, it isn't stunting the total growth in caching.

Sure people play differently, some like collecting hundreds and hundreds of 1.5-terrain finds. Some people like the occasional walk in the woods with a more challenging goal or scenic location. Sure people flame over pet peeves, disagreements.. For me at least, that's a good thing, diversity of opinion, and growth through people playing the game differently. I'm sure it's a pain in the a** at times for moderators to deal with all this, I'm sure it's a pain for jeremy and others to constantly listen to unsolicited input, but I'm glad they do.

You still crack me up.

-t-

Edited by twilliams

Let's face it, if one geocaching website gets to the point where their rules are turning people away from the sport there are already some other sites taht everyone will go to instead. The "rules" arent going to end geocaching, in fact, IMHO, I believe that they will enhance it and lessen the chances of the sport being banned.

It will never be banned.

Future generations will find containers and wonder about the natives that lived a few 100,000 years ago and hid these little boxes of trinkets all over the world.

Their Theology,History and Theory professor's will link the community together by the type of containers used in the various ancient sites.

Their coins with numbered codes are found at nearly all sites globally,and some have even left signature items.

Other metal objects with numered codes have been found but yet to be decryted as with the coins,their technology was superiorly advanced.

Pieces of undetrmined metal from outer space has also been found across the planet as it now exists.

As we explore and study these sites we need to understand that these need to be preserved as ancients monuments truly documented and recorded and of course protected from destruction.

So that we can one day see the scope that some of them had taken to protect and preserve their sites.

And also how widespread it had become in that each of them across the planet had a common interest in like minded things.

UPDATE

Star log year 102,004.5

One of the Expert minds of our time has decrypted at least a part of the code

The mass repetition of the 4 letters CITO bears the fact that they were very clean in their endevors.

We are still working on what the true meaning and sound of the letters and the meaning may be.

Let's face it, if one geocaching website gets to the point where their rules are turning people away from the sport there are already some other sites taht everyone will go to instead. The "rules" arent going to end geocaching, in fact, IMHO, I believe that they will enhance it and lessen the chances of the sport being banned.

Yup!

Rules are needed to keep the game organized as it expands beyond the original founding participants. As the game gets more media attention, the game gets higher on people's radar screen. As the game gets more popular, more caches are hidden. The nexus of these curves is where problems begin.

As the two increase, the chances of a land manager knowing about the game increase. The chances of a cache being hidden on land that person manages increase. Lastly, the chance one of us will do something intentionally or not, that p*sses that manager off increase. When that happens, they make rules. Their rules can come out of nowhere and yet get enforced as if they were law.

We can make rules to decrease this likelihood, or we can be subject to their rules. Having first hand experience of their "rules", I trust us more to come up with sensible ones.

GC's rules are not able to kill the sport. Disinterested land managers with no accountability are quite capable of developing rules to kill the sport in a given area.

You still crack me up.

I glad you're entertained. You asked for opinions. Got an opinion as you requested and then you come off with your intelligent (?) prose. You're a real peach. So you don't really want opinions, just yours.

So to address your original question - who do you think will ban geocaching? Which government? How about the Germans? Think that will affect geocaching in the US? Or maybe the French? Can't see that affecting US geocaching. Or maybe it will be the New World Order, enfoced by UN Troops with light blue helmets.

My last post on this thread since it's obvious TWilliams is an example of the kind of person I described in my initial post. Thanks for your informed (?) comments. You still never understood the intent of my post. But that's OK, you never really intended to, or maybe never had the ability. Reading comprehension is pretty difficult, particularly if there's no pictures, and especially if you have no pictures to color.

BTW, no one has called me "son" since Vietnam.

Geoaching has been banned in some locations. Others embrace it. Fitness organizations embrace it. Places like the NSS and the Blue Ribbon Coalition are natural allies. We are exploring those alliances. I'm running an experiment with the Idaho Department of Commerce and geocaching as a means of promoting tourism. So far so good.

Geocaching in one form or another is here to stay. You have had this answered three ways from Sunday and you have played devils advocate. It doesn’t change the answer.

Geoaching has been banned in some locations.[...]

Geocaching in one form or another is here to stay. [...]

Agreed, it seems like there is a core group of people that say they'll continue regardless of whatever roadblocks might occur.

Like a lot of folks, I'm more interested in what makes it worthwhile to people more a bit more casual - a good selection of local caches (trailheads less 1.5 hrs away) , particularly in public areas and state park lands. And continuing access to www.geocaching.com. (or, a website with the same functionality and database of huntable caches). It seems like both of these things have some vunerabilities, some of which we can help avoid.

I really like some of the good ideas in the "geocaching ethics" thread on ways we can help take personal responsibility and help self regulate to avoid these issues... But sure, if you're a die-harder - it's probably irrelevant or maybe even undesirable.

-t-

The killer would be if the gov't reinstituted "intentional degradation" of the GPS satellite signals.....that would effectively kill us. I can't picture the newly re-elected administration doing that, but who knows what the future holds.......

That won't kill it. The solution is to use better clues. Consider Letterboxing.

Edited by Renegade Knight

When the GPSr can bring you only within 100/200 meters of a cache then the alternative of getting positions is using features on a topographic map. For my country we have aerial photographs with a positional error of less then 3 meters and digital topographic maps of 1:25.000 with a granularity of 2.5 m.

So here geocaching could go on as topocaching.

Edited by Prof. Y. Lupardi